How can i use DiscoverCard to buy apps?

• Replies:2
Reg Johnson
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 24, 2011, 7:47:39 AM via Website

I really like he DiscoverCard concept of Secure Online Account Numbers (SOAN).
They will generate a unique secure credit card number that can only be used for charges from one vendor.
I have tried this with Android Market purchases and it does not work.
Here's what i believe happens:
1 Google Checkout charges the card number for a $1 processing fee.
2 Then they give my card number to the App Vendor to charge the app fee.
3 DiscoverCard accepts the first charge, but denies the second because it is from a different vendor (ie: not Google Checkout)

I don't want to give up using SOAN and give out a "real" credit card number that could be stolen and used for any charges anywhere.

Does anyone have a solution for this?
Or a comparable alternative?

Ideally, there would be an App Store that would charge my card for every Android purchase i make and then distribute the proper amount to the app creator.
Then i could use the same SOAN every time i bought an app through the App Store.

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Apr 24, 2011, 12:20:13 PM via Website

Hey there!

I'm not sure what to do specifically about the Discovery Card issue..

However, if you have AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile, you should be able to bill app purchases directly to your carrier. Soon, I'm sure that Google will be able to extend this service to Verizon customers as well. This allows you to avoid the somewhat scary act of entering your private card info into the Internet.

Reg Johnson
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 24, 2011, 6:59:46 PM via Website

Hi Steven,
That is very good to know.
Unfortunately, in this case, I am with Verizon. :-(
So I will keep waiting for Verizon to catch-up.
I the mean time, i will keep searching for alternate solutions.
Thanks!
Reg

Steven Blum
Hey there!

I'm not sure what to do specifically about the Discovery Card issue..

However, if you have AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile, you should be able to bill app purchases directly to your carrier. Soon, I'm sure that Google will be able to extend this service to Verizon customers as well. This allows you to avoid the somewhat scary act of entering your private card info into the Internet.