Fire an intent???

• Replies:4
Akshar
  • Forum posts: 2

Jun 22, 2011, 7:42:49 AM via Website

How to fire an intent from one application to another??? If am in one application and have a button, if i click that button, it should fire an intent to another application. How to do that???

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jun 22, 2011, 10:46:16 AM via Website

I'm sorry, I just don't understand your question. Do you mean, is there a way to have multiple applications open? Or to switch quite easily between applications? What do you mean by "fire an intent"?

Akshar
  • Forum posts: 2

Jun 22, 2011, 11:02:25 AM via Website

Am new to android. am developing an application. i want to set a shortcut key. for that in my application i ll accept a key, application name in an activity. i ll store them. if i click on add button it ll go to next activity where i ll ask the user to input the shortcut key. once entered i ll accept that, compare it with the previous value and if true i want to launch that application. So i need to fire an intent or some way to launch that application. how to do that?

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jun 22, 2011, 11:05:26 AM via Website

Ah okay, well I don't know the answer but I'll move your question to the Android developer's forum and hopefully a developer will be able to answer it. :grin:

— modified on Jun 22, 2011, 11:06:43 AM

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jun 24, 2011, 5:45:41 PM via Website

Akshar
Am new to android. am developing an application. i want to set a shortcut key. for that in my application i ll accept a key, application name in an activity. i ll store them. if i click on add button it ll go to next activity where i ll ask the user to input the shortcut key. once entered i ll accept that, compare it with the previous value and if true i want to launch that application. So i need to fire an intent or some way to launch that application. how to do that?

Here's an example of starting a market Intent:

Intent marketIntent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW, Uri.parse("market://search?q=pub:XdebugX"));
myContext.startActivity(marketIntent);

Here you can find the reference for Intents: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Intent.html

Here's the guide on using Intents: http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/intents/intents-filters.html