Samsung Galaxy S — Problem with Samsung Kies

• Replies:4
Sam Buchbinder
  • Forum posts: 71

Jun 24, 2011, 11:38:12 AM via Website

When I connect the SGS to the USB, nothing happens until I unlock the SGS, whereupon the screen goes insane, scrolling through all the UI screens. The Vista PC doesn't recognise it either. Thinking it could be a software clash, I tried the download on my Vista laptop and exactly the same thing happens.

Any suggestions?

— modified on Sep 27, 2011, 1:49:44 PM by moderator

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jun 24, 2011, 11:43:30 AM via Website

Thanks for posting and I hope I can help...

A few ideas...

Try turning off Wifi and Bluetooth.

It is also possible that Kies is not fully compatible with the handset, as the handset's Operating System is written by Google. The only real purpse for Kies is for home updates when they become available.

Try using the mass storage mode on your phone instead.

carmine92207
  • Forum posts: 7

Nov 19, 2011, 5:49:33 AM via Website

My samsung exhibit when i hook it up to the pc and skies does not detect the phone also if i get it to connect am i able to do a full system back up meaning firmware gingerbread and kernal thanks

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Nov 21, 2011, 12:30:55 PM via Website

As far as I know you can use kies to backup your system but you only can back up certian options not the entire kernal state... if you're looking for a complete backup copy of your OS then Titanium Backup Root is the only way to go.

Regarding the connection issues with kies... make sure that your computer has the correct drivers (there is an option for that in the program) and then make sure that USB debugging is turned on on your phone. That should do the trick....

Hope that helps.

Alex M.
  • Forum posts: 36

Dec 25, 2011, 5:18:02 AM via App

To backup system use nandroid or CWM recovery 2e or 5e. 5e usually found in Aosp ports while 2e on Samsung based kernels. Stock kernel with root and recovery is CF-root kernel. Find on XDA and flash. Other way is adb but it is unstable and needs some Java and c++ skills though tutorials can be found. Due to your connection problem I'd recommend to connect while with screen on and unlocked, if it is not working you can factory reset your phone, remember not hard reset, because it will only wipe some data when factory reset will reinstall system itself.