HTC Sensation — Antenna problem

• Replies:18
Alex Irwin
  • Forum posts: 44

Aug 10, 2011, 7:07:56 PM via Website

Anyone having the aforementioned antenna problem with their Sensation?

— modified on Sep 21, 2011, 4:06:10 PM by moderator

Anette West
  • Forum posts: 106

Aug 10, 2011, 7:09:44 PM via Website

Nope. Never hold it in the death grip anyway.

Alex Irwin

Aug 10, 2011, 7:10:04 PM via Website

I've had some problems but I think more due to bad carrier reception than anything.

Anette West
  • Forum posts: 106

Aug 10, 2011, 7:10:25 PM via Website

I actually think the whole thing with the antenna was overblown.

Alex Irwin

Aug 10, 2011, 7:10:54 PM via Website

Same. The real problem with the Sensation is bugs on Sense 3.0

— modified on Sep 21, 2011, 4:06:58 PM by moderator

Alex Irwin

Aug 10, 2011, 7:11:19 PM via Website

Actually, I also have pretty abysmal battery life as well. :angry:

Kerry f.
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 15, 2011, 12:11:49 PM via Website

Yes the HTC Sensation does have a few issues and reception is just one of them... After taken my HTC home I was over the moon with the perfomance of the phone and would of given it a 9/10 if it wasnt for the poor receptition both wireless and network. Although I have not been able to cure the poor wifi reception I have been able to boost my network signal by 2 bars which I can live with giving that our network coverage is quite poor for our area. I am going to post a YouTube video on how to make a homemade arial. There is hope for your sensation.

— modified on Sep 21, 2011, 4:07:18 PM by moderator

Gordon Gibson
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 2:48:26 PM via Website

Kerry f.
Yes the HTC Sensation does have a few issues and reception is just one of them... After taken my HTC home I was over the moon with the perfomance of the phone and would of given it a 9/10 if it wasnt for the poor receptition both wireless and network. Although I have not been able to cure the poor wifi reception I have been able to boost my network signal by 2 bars which I can live with giving that our network coverage is quite poor for our area. I am going to post a YouTube video on how to make a homemade arial. There is hope for your sensation.

Kerry, do you have your link to your fix? I'm having the same problem with my network signal
cheers

Ric Rhodes
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 28, 2012, 6:12:01 AM via Website

Anette West
I actually think the whole thing with the antenna was overblown.

Not so I work in a remote area in Australia and I get NO signal while others with old Nokia's and Motorola's walk around chatting away on their phones. I get an occasional hotspot but it lasts about 30 sec then no signal but I can drive 1 k down the road and I get signal, extremely frustrating so I have reverted to taking old phones on site so I can make calls and leave the Sensation for when I'm home on rnr

mrscribble

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 28, 2012, 4:07:18 PM via Website

No problems with mine! **knock on wood**

Ric Rhodes

Feb 29, 2012, 3:49:25 AM via Website

Eric McBride
No problems with mine! **knock on wood**

It depends on where u r Eric, I was in the Tanami desert in the middle of the Northern Territory for 5 months 700+k from the nearest town and had no probs now I am 50 ks from town and an hours flight from Perth and no reception, it also depends on the carrier u use, I'm with Telstra which has the best coverage but still have probs in some regional areas, in the metro area I couldn't ask for a better phone

mrscribble

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Feb 29, 2012, 10:36:46 AM via Website

@Richard As an American living in Germany that was just about the most bad ass sounding post I've ever read on AndroidPIT. Cudos!

Ric Rhodes

Feb 29, 2012, 2:11:55 PM via Website

Aaron Tilton
@Richard As an American living in Germany that was just about the most bad ass sounding post I've ever read on AndroidPIT. Cudos!
lol sorry Aaron if I seem to be rambling but its frustrating to have such a wicked phone and not be able to use it 2 weeks out of 3 ( I work fly in fly out on a mine site, 2 weeks on 1 week off) and the problem is not the so called death grip, its the antenna in some regional area's.
cheers

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 29, 2012, 2:17:31 PM via Website

Strange, as Ive been all over Europe with my phone. Croatia, Rome, Ibiza Spain, Amsterdam...no issues what so ever with antenna. My signal does drop awkwardly at times, but not enough to really notice.

It most likely has to do with me being rooted, as this allows me to choose which radio I use, which greatly affects phone signal and reception. Consider rooting, as it could be the answer to a lot of your issues.

— modified on Feb 29, 2012, 2:17:48 PM

Ric Rhodes

Mar 1, 2012, 4:29:44 AM via Website

Eric McBride
Strange, as Ive been all over Europe with my phone. Croatia, Rome, Ibiza Spain, Amsterdam...no issues what so ever with antenna. My signal does drop awkwardly at times, but not enough to really notice.

It most likely has to do with me being rooted, as this allows me to choose which radio I use, which greatly affects phone signal and reception. Consider rooting, as it could be the answer to a lot of your issues.

They prob have towers closer together through Europe, here Telstra is the main SP and claim that u can get signal Australia wide, in older phones and some with high gain antenna's that may be the case but will the later phones they try to cram so much stuff in them (which is good) but a lot fail with the antenna.
Yes I have been rooting and roming phones since I started with Android and this one is rooted and romed but I thing I will try an upgraded rom, when I get back home in 2 weeks I will try the Virtuous Stock :: Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 / Sense 3.5 (3.12.401.102 it is supposed to have a better radio and is a beta version atm

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Mar 1, 2012, 10:44:38 AM via Website

I think the stock ICS build will serve you well. I'm from an area of the states with a similar issue regarding a lack of cell towers and I have heard some reports of people having better success with stock Android builds but don't ask me why!

R.Paul Wolfe

Jul 13, 2012, 7:30:40 PM via Website

Never do I have a good signal . Does that count ?

Matthias Kreck

Jul 21, 2013, 5:53:52 PM via Website

I have bought a used sensation a few months ago and I am happy except for the weakness of the signal. It seems that I am not the only one. Thus people might be interested to read my solution.

All you need is a bit aluminium foil used in the kitchen and scotch tape. You open the phone and see at the bottom the two golden connectors for the antenna. If you look at the phone from the back you see the relevant connector on the right side. It is important to attach the extra antenna only to this connector. Now cut about 10 cm of aluminium foil about 5mm wide. At the end you make it one or 2 millimeters wider. Use the scotch tape to fix the aluminium so that the small extension covers the right connector. Let the aluminium stripe go straight away out of the phone. Avoid the places used to fix the back cover and close the back cover. The main part of aluminum stripe is now outside the phone fix it with scotch tape at the back of the phone. Done. I am using a soft cover so that the aluminium stripe is invisible.

I have tested it tody in places where I had absoultely no signal, for example in a train. I had signal all the time in most areas 5 bars.

Matthias