HTC Evo Shift 4G

• Replies:7
Louis Hong
  • Forum posts: 20

Aug 11, 2011, 10:25:19 AM via Website

Hi everyone,

I am in Boulder, Colorado with a tiny wireless company called Credo Mobile and I just busted my phone. I am looking for an Android, I think, but am not sure it's for me. In any case, the most expensive and fancy phone I could buy would be the HTC Detail, also known as the HTC EVO Shift 4G. From what I can tell, it's like the Evo but with a full keyboard. Has anyone out there had a good experience with this phone? It's not too expensive but still more than I would usually pay for a phone, so it better be worth it haha.

Please let me know ur thoughts. THANKS

Enrico Melowitz
  • Forum posts: 22

Aug 11, 2011, 10:27:38 AM via Website

it's pretty good i think. is the nexus s outside of your budget? love that phone

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Aug 11, 2011, 10:30:30 AM via Website

CNET gave the phone 4 out of 5 stars, which is pretty good. I think it's pretty thick, though, and the keyboard looks a little too tacky for my taste.

Louis Hong
  • Forum posts: 20

Aug 11, 2011, 10:31:43 AM via Website

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think my biggest concern is that the phone will start to slow down, I had a Galaxy Gsomething something and it slowed down after a few months even after I deleted lots of apps.

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Aug 11, 2011, 10:32:19 AM via Website

Well, if that happens this time just come back here and we'll show you how to root it. :bashful:

Marvin Cleaver
  • Forum posts: 150

Aug 11, 2011, 10:40:13 AM via Website

i hate the evo.

Jack Frost
  • Forum posts: 3

Sep 20, 2011, 10:34:09 AM via Website

In case you still have not made a decision or someone else finds this thread, I just got one of these phones and so far I've had no problems. I believe it is the same phone as the Evo Shift 4G but it has a slideout keyboard and a little bit smaller screen. I really like the slideout keyboard - the buttons feel great and work well, which I was worried about. One of my only gripes with the phone is that it's kind of difficult to actually slide the keyboard out because of the shape of the phone and angles of the sides - I constantly hit stuff on the screen by accident when I'm sliding out the keyboard and I'm always afraid that because I have to apply pressure in opposite directions from opposite sides when sliding out the keyboard that I'm accidentally going fling the phone at the ground or something. Hasn't happened yet and I'm getting better at sliding out the keyboard. I haven't had a droid or any smartphone before and so far I'm okay with it. The only other gripe I have with the phone is that I don't really like the predictive text - I was much faster with the keyboard on my previous phone or predictive text with a regular number pad. I will probably get better at it though, or else I will root and use different software for predictive text (if that's possible).

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Sep 20, 2011, 4:37:01 PM via Website

You can also turn it off with menu>settings>Language & keyboard>Touch Input>Touch Settings>Prediction. Though I got used to it on my Xperia right quick even though it annoyed me at first.