do rooted android phones get more malware and viruses?

• Replies:7
Marcel Jennings
  • Forum posts: 56

Aug 12, 2011, 3:07:54 PM via Website

after reading this article on the blog I started thinking about the whole rooting process. So apparently, according to the picture that I saw there jailbroken iPhone are much more vulnerable to malware. is this also the case with Android phones? are rooted devices more vulnerable to malware and viruses?

Jenny Preston
  • Forum posts: 47

Aug 12, 2011, 5:50:50 PM via Website

that's a scary thought....

John Fiscell
  • Forum posts: 25

Aug 12, 2011, 5:52:13 PM via Website

total nonsense. that could not happen.

Daniel Randle
  • Forum posts: 7

Aug 12, 2011, 5:53:47 PM via Website

I think there's potential for trouble.

Zhu Lee
  • Forum posts: 28

Aug 12, 2011, 5:55:17 PM via Website

i will get back to you with more information. i believe it depends on what root you do. you have to be real careful.

Maria Brambova
  • Forum posts: 23

Aug 12, 2011, 5:56:06 PM via Website

this is why i do not root my phone.

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Aug 31, 2011, 5:55:18 AM via App

Okay... first off... most experienced Rooted Android Users have multiple backups of their Rom(s).. so actually I am more protected then a non rooted phone. I actually have 4 different Roms installed on my HTC Incredible (Multiboot setup) and can just boot into one of the other Roms if somehow I had a problem.

Plus.. I also have saved a backup of my Rom and apps to my PC.

Also by having a Rooted device.. I have COMPLETE control over each and every app. I use an app designed for rooted devices called "Absolute System" that lets me see what an app does in the back ground and disable anything I want.. like whether it sends statistical data etc.. so not only is my privacy more protected then a non rooted device... I also get performance gains because my apps are sending and receiving less data therefore increasing my battery life.

Another nice benefit to rooting is the ability to remove "Bloatware apps" (those apps your cellular provider put into the hidden system app area of your devices OS).. one problem with bloatware is that you can't uninstall it normally.. with a rooted device you can remove it.

— modified on Aug 31, 2011, 6:20:27 AM

G Wilkinson
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 5, 2013, 1:32:31 PM via Website

I am with JustJay on this one. I have flashed many ROMs I don't think that the malware can keep up. But, seriously, root gives you total control with the right tools. Also thanks for the tip on "Absolute System".