Samsung Galaxy S2 for Android App Devt?

• Replies:4
Krishia Ellis
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 23, 2011, 3:07:22 AM via Website

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and I'm a 3rd year comp sci student. For our thesis, we're planning to create an application for android and I'll be buying my phone. Is the samsung galaxy S2 a good choice? Thank you very much for those who will respond!!!! :grin:

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Sep 23, 2011, 4:54:23 AM via Website

The SII is a top of the line model now, so it should be good for developing for years to come. Make sure you get a carrier who doesn't block you from allowing the "Unkown Sources" setting. You'll need this to test your apps on the phone before uploading them to the market.

Krishia Ellis

Sep 25, 2011, 4:10:53 PM via Website

Jeremiah
The SII is a top of the line model now, so it should be good for developing for years to come. Make sure you get a carrier who doesn't block you from allowing the "Unkown Sources" setting. You'll need this to test your apps on the phone before uploading them to the market.

How about the Samsung Galaxy Mini? :)

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Sep 28, 2011, 6:05:02 AM via Website

The main obstacle you would have developing on the mini is that it is a low density (small screen) phone. So your apps will be scaled to the small size. You may have to do some extra manipulation to get your apps looking the way you want for the small size, and every other size phone. Look at the page on developing for all screen sizes. http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

One good thing about developing on a mini though, would be that if you can get your app running well on it, the apps should run well on almost everything. So are you looking for an easy beginner development phone with a standard screen size, or something to test screen aspect ratios and a little less powerful to give a good indication of how it will run on varied phones?

Krishia Ellis

Sep 30, 2011, 7:42:55 AM via Website

Jeremiah
The main obstacle you would have developing on the mini is that it is a low density (small screen) phone. So your apps will be scaled to the small size. You may have to do some extra manipulation to get your apps looking the way you want for the small size, and every other size phone. Look at the page on developing for all screen sizes. http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

One good thing about developing on a mini though, would be that if you can get your app running well on it, the apps should run well on almost everything. So are you looking for an easy beginner development phone with a standard screen size, or something to test screen aspect ratios and a little less powerful to give a good indication of how it will run on varied phones?

Thank you for the information :)