What do you use Android tablets for?

• Replies:5
Borja
  • Forum posts: 18

Sep 27, 2011, 4:31:41 PM via Website

Okay bare with me here. What do you use tablets for? Ever sence they came out my first reaction was "neat!" but then I realised you are so crampled by a lack of real programs there beyond watching movies and surfing the web there isn't much you can do with them. The hardware would seem to indicate that they can content with laptops but they are all so teathered that you can't really brake out of the uses approved by the producer. You can't program, you can't really do any graphical work. All you can do is consume pre approved media. While this makes senese for a cell phone I don't see how you can justify spending so much on a scaled down computer when you are trading size for user freedom.

When the iPad came out I read that it was supposed to be a computer replacement for older consumers who wanted the advantages of a computer with out the stress of actually having to maintain the system. It seems like all tablets have gone down that road. While there are some systems like the Galaxy Note which are trying to change the non-productive user modle I see with tabs most like the Sony S series are setting on consumption only.So are there any really productive uses for a tab or are they really just an end station for what producers want to give you access to?

— modified on Sep 27, 2011, 4:49:22 PM by moderator

Fabien Röhlinger
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 3,855

Sep 27, 2011, 4:37:36 PM via Website

Well, to be honest, I personally think that (Android) tablets are especially good for entertainment purposes. Chilling on the couch and watching some pics. Sitting in the plane and watching a movie. Lying in the bed and reading an ebook. I doubt that tablets are ready for the business sector yet. But this will certainly come.

Andreas V.
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 7,352

Sep 27, 2011, 5:28:50 PM via Website

The usability depends on the work you have to do I think. I use my Tablet more than my PC, because most of my work is done online, like moderating here on AndroidPIT and writing some texts with Gdocs.

Often I just look though the Internet, Watching one or two videos on YouTube and so on.

The Tablet is nothing for hard Office tasks, live spreadsheets or longer documents... for now, but if I see the Asus Transformer and the Motorola Atrix (with Lapdock) the Market is slowly changing in that direction too.

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Nov 8, 2011, 5:18:07 PM via Website

I find it interesting that so many of the newest tablets advertise their streaming film services (Nook Tablet's Netflix, Kindle Fire's Prime) when -- according to studies -- so few actually use their tablet for that purpose.

Chiran Bhattarai
  • Forum posts: 9

Jan 10, 2012, 3:51:44 PM via Website

I am Waiting for the iPad 3...

— modified on Jan 10, 2012, 5:22:49 PM by moderator

Contactive Dave
  • Forum posts: 10

Jun 11, 2013, 9:18:50 PM via Website

Though I don't have one personally, I often borrow my girlfriend's for long commutes. Nothing like an incredibly productive commute to start off the day! :)