can i run emulators on the xperia play without having to root the phone (and other root questions)

• Replies:6
rDanny
  • Forum posts: 12

Dec 25, 2011, 12:05:48 AM via Website

i am thinking of buying a xperia play but wondering how much it will do without me having to root the handset
iv had a jailbroken iphone for a few years now
i like to use emulators and i'm use to been able to get apps free when i want them

i fancy a change of handset and like the idea of the gamepad on the play and quite fancy being able to play my ps1 games and n64 roms,

now will those emulators run on a un modified play or will i have to root the device
i assume i would have to root the device if i was to want to run cracked play apps but its more the emulators im interested in at the moment
as i dont really fancy rooting the phone unless i can make a good back up and find i one click method that would perform the root

also whats this about 300 or so mb for app storage?

thanks

— modified on Dec 25, 2011, 12:06:54 AM

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Dec 26, 2011, 12:18:18 AM via Website

There's more than a few emulators on the android market, and they don't require root. As far as getting all your apps for free, I don't know. But you should have no problem with the emulators.

rDanny

Jan 9, 2012, 3:59:38 AM via Website

thanks for that info ill keep looking about :)

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 10, 2012, 11:03:45 AM via Website

I haven't used many of the emulators but I like the Xperia play for mobile gaming much more then traditional touch screens. I hate and I do mean hate having to take up half the screen with my thumbs which is exactly why I love my play. The built in joypad makes gaming a much more sastifying experience esp. with games like Dead Space or DOA.

My only complaint about the handset is that not enough game developers make use of it's control system. There are a huge number of games out for it but some developers refuse to code for the thing (Duke nukem 3d I'm looking at you!)

But it is a seriously solid handset. I Think you'll like it.

rDanny

Jan 11, 2012, 7:32:44 PM via Website

im thinking more of n64 emulation and the popular 16bit emulators, and possibly mame 32
mostly at the moment tho i like the idea of a ps one emulator if anything just so i can have gran turismo 1 and 2 in my pocket.

but as i said i dont know whats out there and how much can be said on in this forum regarding xperia play hacks and cracked apps..

i know emulation is ok to talk about and legal so no problems there ;) alltho what will run on a unmodifyed play is another thing i need to learn,

finally im unsure about rooting at this moment in time unless there is a 1click option or somthing as there does not seem to be a guarnteed way to recover andriod if it goes bad,, for example the way you can restore a iphone there is no danger really in a jailbrake

— modified on Jan 11, 2012, 7:34:28 PM

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 12, 2012, 10:39:40 AM via Website

As far as I know there isn't a one click option for rooting ther xperia play but I'm looking into it. We just got a new rooting guy here at AndroidPIT and he's promised to help me root my play one he gets back. I tried it myslef but I almost briked my play twice so I devided to give it a rest. In any case, once he walks me through the process, I'll post something on the site about how to root a play.

rDanny

Sep 11, 2012, 2:31:45 AM via Website

well i finally got the phone im very happy with it so far i have all the emulators i want running next im looking for this black market app can anyone help, i have not rooted the phone at this moment in time, i have a few more questions like whats the max memory card the phone will take and im looking for that app that will let me control my pc/laptop with the phone or maybe let be use it as a controller