Is this group

• Replies:3
Weezy Rider
  • Forum posts: 11

Jan 16, 2012, 11:06:29 PM via Website

International? I am in US, and have a Coby tablet I want to give to a relative in the UK. I've tweaked to get Market and I have hit the Market limitations of "not suitable for your device" I can deal with that here in the US by various legal means, but I need to know if the tweak I put in for Market will work in the UK, and if anyone has tweaked and got Market on the device - what does Market think the device is?

For some reason US Market is assuming that the wifi only Coby 7024 is a TMobile US device. Don't know why - my phone is TMO, but the Coby has no SIM card or network.

Like I said - I do have the tweak for the American Market loaded, it does work. Will I have to find another apk workaround for the UK market, or will the one I have transfer over? I'm assuming that she can download from Amazon UK also.

I need to figure this out so I can show the recipient how to deal with things like this while she is in the States. Trying to explain via email and Skype can be the pits.

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 17, 2012, 11:20:38 AM via Website

Is there any way she can get access to the APK? If so she could just install it from an SD card instead of having to download it directly from the Android Market.

Weezy Rider

Jan 17, 2012, 3:43:00 PM via Website

She hasn't got the tablet yet. She won't be in the States until summer. I'm trying to forestall any problems so I can show her in person how to get the apps she wants.

I can show her how to load an apk - but will an update of the one I used work in Europe? Will the UK market think the Coby is a TMO Europe device? (or whatever carrier she uses)

I know there are other sites. I primarily use Market as most other sites are low on scientific stuff. Even Amazon sticks astrology in with astronomy! I don't game or bother with social apps. The tablet is more an information device and ebook reader that I can also use for music and videos. She might do just fine with other places - especially if they vet the app for malware. It would be just my luck that there is something available on Market only that she would want, and I'd have to deal with it via email or Skype.

Right now I'm dealing with a Nook I gave her. I unregistered it and B&N says I didn't. They won't let her buy a book.

Thanks

Weezy Rider

Jan 17, 2012, 3:46:56 PM via Website

I'm also looking for a good group she can subscribe to. I haven't got a clue about rules and regs outside the US. If someone here can help her when she is back in the UK with the tablet, I'll tell her to register.