Buying android tablet... overwhelmed, please help!

• Replies:10
Nicole Sch
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 22, 2012, 6:35:15 PM via Website

Hi! I have been looking at tablets for a little over 6 months now, but b/c so many keep coming out, I just feel horribly overwhelmed. Even if all you can offer are specs that i should look for, what to stay away from, what to lean towards. Seriously, any help! Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

1) I will be using the tablet for :
Drawing, reading (both ebooks, and web pages, like fanfiction), writing, watching shows (via stream like youtube and other sites), listening to music, video chatting, e-mail, pictures
apps that need to be available
google play, amazon kindle, evernote,

It'd be nice if i were able to take a screen shot as well. And i'd like to be able to use some kind of stylus for when i'm writing and drawing.

2) $420 is the most I can spend.

3) I love the look of the ten inches it's very appealing to me.

4) I know a bit about android. I used to have an ipod touch, but switched to android a year ago. I love that you can customize it more. I love Go Launcher. I can figure out my way around a tablet, laptop, and phone pretty well. I'd like access to the android market. I don't think i'd be happy if I couldn't use most of the apps i've purchased for my phone on my tablet.

I am worried about one thing. I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. I'm not stuck on the Samsung, but it was one that caught my eye. But it says it doesn't have any storage expansion. I'm used to putting a microsd card in my phones to put my music and pictures on. And with my HTC Thunderbolt, i use it for extra apps. I'm a bit worried i'll run out of space rather quickly.

This tablet will be the only one I buy for a few years. So, i want to make the best purchase possible for the money i'm spending.

5) I'm located in Northwest Pa, USA

Also, don't care to have it connected to a contract. I wont be using it in my car. I will only use it with wifi. Bluetooth I don't use. HDMI would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

I spend a lot of time in a hospital bed, so I'm hoping this will be a lot more portable for me than my laptop. And the hospitals all have wifi where I go!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit overwhelmed, and on a fixed income, so this is a very important buy. A couple of different options would be wonderful! Thank You so much for taking the time to help me out!

Bruce Hutcheon
  • Forum posts: 7

Mar 24, 2012, 7:03:16 AM via App

I am not a tablet expert but I like the look of the Asus for under $400 in Canada. I'm sure you can do much better than that in the USA.
Samsung also have a good reputation here.
I am writing to you on an Archos 10.1 Internet. 8 gb which I bought for $199 refurbished. 16gb are available. It has up to 32 gb micro sd slot plus USB connector for hook up to your full size computer or other flash drive. I'm very happy with it. Log on to Archos. Com.

— modified on Mar 24, 2012, 7:21:46 AM

Charles Alden
  • Forum posts: 5

Apr 10, 2012, 12:33:17 AM via Website

The Samsung 10.1 has come down a lot recently so it's very good deal. However I'm more of a fan of the 8.9" model. If you go down this way please purchase a screen protector as it is very easy to scratch it, no Gorilla Glass. My favorite tablet so far is the Asus Slider however, it's a solid kit, pretty much bullet proof and I love the keyboard but this is just my taste. Oh and stay away from the Archos unless you are completely broke even then I would go to ebay and buy second hand. Archos is not a brand that you want to invest in.

micro me

Apr 10, 2012, 12:15:00 PM via Website

I would love to recommend (Ainol Novo 7 Aurora Ultra-thin)
Android 4.0 Tablet PC 7 inch IPS
HD Screen 1GB RAM
Camera HDMI White 8GB
$249.99, On Sale Now: $169.99 from uPlay Tablet
I think those features are suitable
you also may check the below link
http://www.uplaytablet.com/ainol-novo-7-aurora-ultra-thin-android-4-0-tablet-pc-7-inch-ips-hd-screen-1gb-ram-camera-hdmi-white-8gb/

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Apr 10, 2012, 5:36:47 PM via Website

I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and I can tell you its perfect for everything you need it for. Highly recommended.

Sterling M Funches
  • Forum posts: 5

Apr 30, 2012, 1:03:09 AM via App

look at the Asus transformer they now have quad core processor

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

May 2, 2012, 4:47:07 PM via Website

The Asus Transformer Prime is hands down the best tablet out right now, and way cheaper than Samsungs (in Europe at least). I am debating getting one myself!

EDIT: Got one! :)

— modified on May 22, 2012, 6:18:59 PM

Jeffery Davis

Jul 13, 2012, 9:52:18 AM via Website

Hi Nicole;

If not to late for a suggestion. Don't know much about what out there. But i'm very please with my ASUS Transformer TF 101. My wife an kids bought me this one for father day. It does all that you are looking for as far as apps anything android so far. You be able to draw, read both ebooks, and web pages , write, watch shows "via streaming" like YouTube, Netflix and other sites", listen to music, video chat like Skype, e-mail and view, edit,
take pictures and videos. "Absolutely" Google play, amazon kindle, not sure about evernote / supernote came on my.

This ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (TF101-A1) Tablet NVIDIA Tegra 2 1.00GHz 10.1" Wide SVGA 1GB DDR2 Memory 16GB Flash NVIDIA ULP GeForce has Micro SD slot, Mini HDMI slot, Headphone Jack attached to the Keyboard "mobile dock" has a battery, two USB Port ( 2.0 ), SD Memory Card and a charging port. I simply love it it give you the best of both a tablet a laptop. Go to Asus web site look over what they have. Then if you fine one you "like" from there go to NewEgg or anywhere you like and compare the specs. and prices.

With the HDMI slot you can hook your Tablet to your big screen TV and watch your home moves, side show of your pic. etc. Like with mine with the external memory slot. I do home video editing then transfer it to my Transcend SDXC 64gb card and view my handy work on the big screen. I've so far have had no problems and I haven't mention its "refurbished" even with additional two year warranty still come under $ 450...
PS....... Stylus friendly, Screen shot & Bluetooth B)

Droid Org
  • Forum posts: 9

Aug 8, 2012, 12:06:55 PM via Website

I suggest you to get the Samsung 10.1 Tablet they have. I think its for around $350. This is the best tablet I have ever used and it will fulfill all your needs as well. The battery time is good too and it has a lot of features and the graphics quality on it are great as well.

Keith Manns
  • Forum posts: 7

Sep 18, 2012, 3:15:14 PM via App

Hands down go for the Asus with the quad core cup and 12 core gpu