New Android User Looking for App Advice

• Replies:0
Fyrefly
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 30, 2012, 2:21:06 AM via Website

Hello all! I'm an engineering graduate student that finally has come to the critical point of kill an entire forest to get copies of all the pdfs I want to go through, or buy a tablet.

I'm planning on picking up the 32 gig Asus Transformer 700 Infinity in the next day or so. I have a simple flip phone as I don't use it much and therefore have never dealt with a mobile OS before. I'm hoping the some of you wouldn't mind answer some newbie questions and possibly point me in the right direction with the sort of apps I need to load on this thing for maximum productivity.

The main thing this tablet is going to be used for is reading very large .pdfs - hundreds of pages long. Playing around with them in the store I noticed the default Adobe Reader app has some highlighting features built in. I would ideally like to get a stylus and do a combination of highlighting and handwritten notes on my documents as well as bookmark functionality if possible. Does anyone have any experience with a better app than the Adobe one?

Also, what kind of things tend to come standard on a tablet? I get the impression from the site that Asus has a web browser, their note taking app and such built in but am I getting things like Youtube and Adobe on my own? What about things like calendar functionality? I would imagine Android would by design have to play well with Google calendars.

Can you only do one thing at a time on tablets or does that vary depending on the app? I was thinking when I'm not at work I might enjoy having it in front of the TV and run an IRC app of some kind. But if I switch to a browser would that disconnect my session?

And I guess overall does anyone want to share any "must-haves?" Thank you so much for reading through this and I look forward to your tips!