Newbie - few questions :(

• Replies:3
R Wilson
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 24, 2012, 3:49:50 PM via Website

Hi

I'm new to Android Development but have an IT background. 17 years ago, started on Pascal and Decforms - on a VAX - for you younger folk - that's a main frame and not a Hoover http://www.vax.co.uk/ :) Moved onto COBOL and progressed to DEC Alpha. Built some simple VB apps along the way. Had a bit of C back in College before all this but didn't use it in the working world.
About 3 years ago, got a chance to get into Java - got about 6 months of it and company made us all redundant :( Back in work since but doing Application Development - VBA Excel makes this seem complicated.

So, i wanted to get back into some development.

I've gone through some tutorials etc and read up on some APIs. However, i cannot seem to find how to do what i want to do.

I basically want to have an app that will provide me with an audit log of my phone's activity e.g. when i open mail, open texts, open a game. All along with a timestamp. Now,i was looking at LogCat - i thought simplest way was for an app to basically query the existing system log ? But, when i opened a few apps, i found some package names were the same as the "market name" but not all. So, was trying to find a way to get the "market name" of any apps opened with a time stamp.

I also was thinking if i could listen to the launcher somehow ? Obviously the log version would require less resources, as the log would be populated by the system and i'd just query it when the app needs to.

I apologise again if i am asking anything is obvious. The Java side of things is easier to get into than understanding the workings of Android ! But, i'm reading all the time and i'll eventually get up to speed :)

TIA
Rob

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Sep 24, 2012, 9:50:03 PM via Website

Hi Rob,

first of all, welcome.

I personally cannot answer your question, but I bet someone here on this great Forum can.. Have a look at the Dev section and try and post your questions to the right folks, (check out individuals with experience in your area of need).

I hope you get the answers to your questions soon. Have fun and keep at it.

Regards,

Chris

— modified on Sep 24, 2012, 9:51:37 PM

R Wilson
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 25, 2012, 2:35:15 PM via Website

Thanks for the welcome, Chris :)

I'll have a look and try get a more appropriate section

Paresh Aegis
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 28, 2012, 12:56:05 PM via Website

Hello Guys,

If you are an Android newbie and feel overwhelmed by the massive Android market, here is a short list of some great Android apps (I have installed them all) if you happen to be well, an absolute minimalist like me who appreciates powerful, easy to use, quality apps....

For More Info :- http://www.aegisisc.com/android-application-development-solutions.html

All your comment for Android Development Are Welcome,

Thanks In Advance.