Help, new user, email setup

• Replies:14
Ian Titler
  • Forum posts: 11

Oct 11, 2012, 6:30:46 PM via Website

Hi, I took an interest in a friends tablet, can't get on with laptops. My wife bought me a 7" chinese one from Ebuyer to try, if I like it she'll let me have a better one. This is a Sumvision Astro+ with Icecream sandwich installed - I've never used Android, not even on a phone, only Windows.
I have a Google Chrome account with a yahoo email as primary. Not sure if that counts as Google account but it shows up on main Google screen as signed in and my name.
I can't set the email up, been told by local pc shop I was setting it wrongly to pop3, still won't have it on iMap. All I get is " couldn't create a reliable connection to my servers" even though the one thing I managed was to set date and time then get a rock solid connection to our (Virgin) WiFi.
I can't download apps from playstore as it's awaiting sync (?) I can't even download to main PC my pc won't recognise it as tablet just says I have no devices to download to. Cabn anyone give me a hand as it's doing my head in.

Patrick R.
  • Forum posts: 66

Oct 11, 2012, 7:48:03 PM via App

Hi, for the activation of Android services you need a GMail account as in name@gmail.com signed in on the device. Although a yahoo account should be automatically configured by the android email client. Do you have an auto configure option or are you trying to do it manually?

Ian Titler

Oct 11, 2012, 9:07:26 PM via Website

Patrick R.
Hi, for the activation of Android services you need a GMail account as in name@gmail.com signed in on the device. Although a yahoo account should be automatically configured by the android email client. Do you have an auto configure option or are you trying to do it manually?

Hi, thanks for reply. Been trying both. I started a new Gmail google account. Auto configure on the tablet finally set up on that, still having probs with playstore (want antivirus first) and the gmail app on tablet, same problem. Running down on charge now so will try again in a bit. Read the post by someone else with problems about auto settings on time/date and time zone, so I turned them off.
I'm addicted to Angry Birds now so I can always play that, lol
Ian

Patrick R.

Oct 11, 2012, 10:04:18 PM via App

For the Play Store set up, go to settings, look for accounts and sync then add account. Look for google and select it and enter your gmail account and password.

Ian Titler

Oct 11, 2012, 10:33:53 PM via Website

Patrick R.
For the Play Store set up, go to settings, look for accounts and sync then add account. Look for google and select it and enter your gmail account and password.

Ok, checked accounts and sync, email account listed. had one try and got "unable to get reliable connection". Charging it now, will try again later and report back. Thanks for help.
Ian

Ian Titler

Oct 12, 2012, 3:41:31 PM via Website

Patrick R.

Tried that several times now, just keep getting "can't get a reliable server connection" yet on "excellent" WiFi. Sorry to keep asking what's probably basic stuff. Maybe I've not switched something on?

Patrick R.

Oct 12, 2012, 4:33:18 PM via App

Try these 3 solutions

1. Try bringing your tablet to a different wifi hotspot. Your wifi router might not be playing nice with your tablet.

2. Try logging on and down loading an app from the playstore website through a browser.

3. Try going to settings --> apps --> all tab and look for google play or google market.
Clear data
Clear defaults
Force Stop
Reboot

Hope it helps.

— modified on Oct 12, 2012, 4:34:37 PM

Ian Titler

Oct 12, 2012, 4:53:23 PM via Website

Patrick R.
Try these 3 solutions

1. Try bringing your tablet to a different wifi hotspot. Your wifi router might not be playing nice with your tablet.

2. Try logging on and down loading an app from the playstore website through a browser.

3. Try going to settings --> apps --> all tab and look for google play or google market.
Clear data
Clear defaults
Force Stop
Reboot

Hope it helps.

Thanks, also finally found details for Sumvision support, they say I have the latest Firmware, basically say the same as you. Got to pop out, will try ion return.

Ian Titler

Oct 12, 2012, 7:58:54 PM via Website

Patrick R.
Try these 3 solutions

Clear data
Clear defaults
Force Stop
Reboot

Hope it helps.

I tried above, apart from no 3, could find apps under settings. Customer service also recommended factory reset, so tried that, under phone assitance from them, tried connecting through tether to wife's android phone, same result. Going to find a McDonalds in case it just doesn't like Virgin wifi, if that's no go they say tell ebuyer it's a dud and needs replacing. They favour dud as very slow loading pages on browser, though will eventually pick up google search (but not let me log in) BBC home page. Really hope it's not a dud.

Ian Titler

Oct 13, 2012, 9:10:23 PM via Website

Ok, one more puzzle to throw in the mix. Found out today (trying to add family to my google account) that they had no record of my name connected to the gmail email and a google account. Now, I wonder, could that be why the google stuff just sits there and won't load? Will try another wifi spot tomorrow, have filled in an e-form to !appeal" that I am actually who I say I am, no idea how long it takes to sort out though.

Ian Titler

Oct 14, 2012, 10:28:32 PM via Website

Ok, if anyone gets this again, I tried it at a motorway services free internet, worked perfectly. Must just not like our Virgin wifi. Was bought to use out and about, so crap wifi at home not really a problem

Patrick R.

Oct 15, 2012, 3:28:53 PM via App

Hi, sorry been a little busy. Good to know you got your device working. Hopefully you get it working at home too. Having a tablet to play around with at home is kinda addicting. I do my late night reading, browsing and emailing in bed with my tablet right before i sleep. It might be your router settings. Sorry though, I am not tech enough to help you with routers amd modems.

Ian Titler

Oct 15, 2012, 5:44:20 PM via Website

Thanks, Patrick, you've helped a lot already. I have no idea of the router settings, could ask Virgin but it's no real hassle. Last thing I do with it is play Angry Birds, got all of them now and very addictive - though I do need to get the Screaming Eagle in original one. After my last computer threw a fit I lost my e library, had to reinstall Calibre and have 6 discs with a few thousand books to reload. Then I'll use tablet as e-reader as well.

Ian Titler

Jan 3, 2013, 1:53:13 PM via Website

All sorted in the end, the Virgin WiFi router wasn't connecting properly, engineer came out (after we tried, on their advice, moving router 2ft+ away from pc) installed new router, works fine now. hanks for the help,
. people

Ian Titler

Jan 17, 2013, 8:13:51 PM via Website

Md. Abdullah
I am not expert about this so i can not help you.............

Seems an odd reason to post on a thread?