Blinking GPS symbol

• Replies:0
Mats Andersson
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 12, 2012, 7:28:45 AM via Website

Hello everyone.

I have a question about GPS behaviour in Android. We have an app that has been developed for us by an external team of developers. I won't bother you with details about the app, but one thing it does is send the position at an interval of about 25 seconds. I have noticed that the first position sent is usually based on last position, which often gets very confusing. I have also noticed that the behaviour of the GPS symbol on the phone is strange. When the positioning-based functionality is started, the symbol will blink for about five seconds and as soon as it gets a GPS lock, the symbol goes away. It then awaits the next positioning "heartbeat" and the symbol starts blinking and goes away as it gets a lock again.

I have tested some other apps, such as Open GPS Tracker and MyTracks, and i never see this blinking-and going away-behaviour. In those applications, the symbol will blink until a GPS lock is obtained and then stay there.

Can someone please explain this to me? What does the GPS symbol show, really? Also, what is the best way to eliminate that first position, that is often based on the last known position and can be way off? Can you ask the GPS API whether a position is based on last known or something more reliable, such as satellite lock or triangulation?