I need help!

• Replies:2
paulista1950
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 23, 2013, 3:18:06 PM via Website

First of all let me say that I never had a smartphone and don't want one, but my wife does, so I need your help to choose one.
I worked more than 30 years with mainframes and PCs and when a new OS is launched, usually the older ones are des-continued in after a short period.
Starting my research I realized that there are phones with 3 older Android versions for sale.
So here my question: what would be the problem of buying let's say the Gingerbread version? Is it just a matter of features or there are other issues?
Will it be MUCH better to buy the Jellybean?

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Apr 23, 2013, 8:48:19 PM via Website

Newer versions of Android are major improvements and better experiences, but if you're not concerned about that, you'll be fine with older. Ice Cream Sandwich is about as old as I'd go. If you go all the way back to Gingerbread, you might start running into the problem that an app or feature you want isn't available.
It's pretty complicated to embark on the smartphone-buying journey, starting out without a clue what you need. You might find this 4-part guide helpful to narrow down the selection! Here's the first, if you're interested: Part 1 of Buying Guide

HowDoYouAndroid.com

paulista1950
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 23, 2013, 9:55:31 PM via Website

Thanks for the reply HowDoYouAndroid. I don't think my wife needs a lot of a smartphone, but I'll read the Buying Guide you indicated, and thanks for this too.