Samsung Galaxy S3 Hard Reset

• Replies:26
  • Stickied
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

May 29, 2013, 11:38:56 AM via Website

Performing a Hard Reset
Warning : it is impossible to recover your data after doing a hard reset, so online backup is always important. For all of your data, a backup should be done on an external device, hard drive, system or media.

Force Reset the device (press and hold POWER button for 8-10 seconds)

Unlock Galaxy S3 T999 i747 i535 using hard reset

sgs3 hard reset or reset Galaxy S3: PRESS AND HOLD VOLUME UP + Home Button + Power
Turn the phone off
Press and hold Volume UP and Home (center) button
Press Power until the phone vibrates
Wait until you see the Android logo then release all the buttons
Select Wipe data/Factory reset with VOLUME DOWN, press Power (right hand-side)

Select YES...delete all user data with VOLUME DOWN and then Press Power
After format, press Power again to reboot the phone (select reboot system now)

or Use this method to reset your Samsung Galaxy S3: Enter *2767*3855# WARNING: All fo your data (contacts, messages....) will be lost! Make sure you complete a backup before starting ( Carbon Backup is a good one). Take out SIM card before full reset too! As a rule, this shouldn't delete the data on your external SD card.

Attention: if you reset your device to the factory default with SD card encryption setting enabled, the device will not be able to read your encrypted files. Disable this setting before resettling the device.

SGS3 Firmeware Flash downlaod mode: PRESS AND HOLD VOLUME down + Home Button + Power On

CAUTION: Perform this reset AT YOUR OWN risk!

— modified on Jul 14, 2014, 11:14:42 AM

Craig Knott
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 2, 2013, 5:27:30 AM via Website

hi there I have tried this but when I go factory rest it has
-- wiping data ...
formatting /data...
E:failed to mount /efs (invalid argument) in red
formatting cache...
data wipe complete...

what am I doing wrong ? can it be fixed?

scunner3

Colton

Dec 6, 2013, 3:31:12 AM via Website

Hi, don't worry. You can recover data from Samsung Galaxy formatted or not.
Kvisoft File Recovery Mac would help you.

— modified on Dec 6, 2013, 3:31:44 AM

Rento Manullang

Dec 6, 2013, 4:40:30 AM via Website

Halo there,

I want to sell my Galaxy S3 to my friend. I dnt know how to sign out from Google Play or my Gmail account. Should i do factory reset or Hard reset. may you help me.. thanks for your help.

Michelle Vester Quire

Dec 22, 2013, 1:09:09 AM via Website

I reset my galaxy 3 back to factory and it will not load up past the Samsung screen. What can I do!! PLEASE Help!!

Amanda GreeneKwaku OwusuBreanna BrattDhooge WimRona CorrellSebastian Peterscunner3

Eric Jarrell

Feb 6, 2014, 10:37:48 PM via Website

I live in Ireland and have a Galaxy S3 GT-9300 locked to Vodafone. I went to a local shop to have it unlocked and was told they were unsuccessful in doing so. However, I did notice something called CWM Manager v3.60 installed. I have tried to uninstall the CWM and have not been able to so far. When asked to update software I am prompted that my phone has been modified and the update is not possible. Also, the unlock code provided by Vodafone is not working.

HELP!

Camron Gabb

Feb 7, 2014, 2:01:35 AM via Website

I have downloaded a rom for my galaxy s3 I think it's free gs3 rom or a rom with galaxy s4 features. I didn't wipe data and cache or factory reset as it has told me to because I forgot. Now my phone isn't booting up. Nothing works I tried download mode and everything the screen is just blank nothing is there and nothing is working.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Feb 7, 2014, 7:11:14 AM via Website

Rento Manullang
Halo there,

I want to sell my Galaxy S3 to my friend. I dnt know how to sign out from Google Play or my Gmail account. Should i do factory reset or Hard reset. may you help me.. thanks for your help.

You need to go to the settings>Accounts and tap on the google icon and remove the account you are connected to !!

S N
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 18, 2014, 6:06:29 AM via Website

My phone S2 quit working while I was charging it. It restarted itself a couple of times and then thats it. Wont start, restart, charge or turn on. I Think it may be a motherboard crash. Im trying to recover my pictures and videos. ANY help in doing so will be greatly appreciated. Thx

Amelia Smith

Mar 14, 2014, 5:23:22 AM via Website

I have a t mobile Samsung galaxy 3 phone but I want to use it for at-t so I will not have to spend money for a new phone I tried to hard reset it but it still says tmobile when it powered back on what did I do wrong any suggestions on how I can transfer it to at-t

Elizabeth Martinez

Mar 17, 2014, 5:26:57 AM via Website

thank you very much ! I was freaking out but thankfully I found this c:

Colleen Jacobs

Apr 14, 2014, 8:57:30 AM via Website

Ok...so I must be blonde. I cannot get the manual hard reboot to work with the holding down of multiple keys, and that isdn code doesn't seem to work on my phone...maybe 'cause I'm in South Africa.

Please could you help.

Jeff Reid

Apr 24, 2014, 3:34:29 AM via Website

ok, My phone got stuck in a boot loop.

I have tried to enter recovery mode, but after initially starting up saying recovery boot in blue at the top, the screen goes black and then stays that way until I let go of the keys and goes back into the boot loop.

any next steps?

Naila AbouKhater

May 18, 2014, 7:46:35 PM via Website

Colleen Jacobs

Ok...so I must be blonde. I cannot get the manual hard reboot to work with the holding down of multiple keys, and that isdn code doesn't seem to work on my phone...maybe 'cause I'm in South Africa.

Please could you help.

Hi Colleen, I had the same problem and thought I wasn't understanding the instructions. I think it's an international version difference, but this worked for me:

Power off your device and wait for 5-10 seconds until the device is fully switched off.
└ This is completely optional. You can choose to keep the device switched On if you wish to
Press and hold  ‘Volume Up + Home + Power’ buttons together and release them as soon as you see the Galaxy S3 logo on your phone’s screen.
Your phone will boot into recovery mode. Use Volume buttons to navigate Up and Down between options and use Power button to select an option in recovery.

admin edit: links are forbidden!

— modified on May 19, 2014, 11:19:37 AM by moderator

Lisa k

May 26, 2014, 2:00:56 AM via Website

So i tried doing this to my sg3 for at&t and now my phone won't load past the AT&T logo when i turn it on. Can u tell me what's wrong with it. Would be much apprieciated thanks.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 26, 2014, 6:14:35 AM via Website

Lisa k

So i tried doing this to my sg3 for at&t and now my phone won't load past the AT&T logo when i turn it on. Can u tell me what's wrong with it. Would be much apprieciated thanks.

Well, @Lisa it means you need to flash the firmware again over to your device, what you are going to need is the latest version of Odin that can be google out and next thing you need is the stock AT&T ROM to flash over your device, for this you can move ahead to the sammobile.com/firmware section and download the stock ROM. Next thing is to flash the ROM with the help of ODIN over to your device, it will start working fine.

Bryon Smith

May 29, 2014, 1:45:08 AM via Website

i DID a hard reset and the developer tool menu did not come back do you kno how i can get that back?

Melissa G.

Jun 6, 2014, 6:38:13 AM via Website

Hi there,
Excellent step by step for hard reset. I noticed that a lot of the forums didn't mention a few minor details...or perhaps I was in such a hurry I missed the 2 key items that need to be done before you complete the factory hard reset...

1. Pull out the SIM card (if your provider requires you to have one)
  2. Pull out your SD card

Then finish the hard reset.

I finally was 'unstuck'!!

Too much.

MG

Rhys Donaubauer

Jul 12, 2014, 1:04:17 AM via Website

Curious as to why you mention RAID system.

Lily Meester
  • Forum posts: 8

Aug 8, 2014, 3:35:59 AM via Website

I have used Jihosoft Android Phone Recovery. It did a nice work.

Nick Costanza

Aug 19, 2014, 9:41:32 PM via Website

Amelia Smith

I have a t mobile Samsung galaxy 3 phone but I want to use it for at-t so I will not have to spend money for a new phone I tried to hard reset it but it still says tmobile when it powered back on what did I do wrong any suggestions on how I can transfer it to at-t

Amelia, did you ever get the answer to this? It is exactly what I want to do as well.

man iscus

Dec 9, 2014, 7:13:33 AM via Website

I bought a used S3 and did a reset thru the settings menu...but the prior owners phone number is still there....if i do a hard reset will it wipe that out... if so which option...factory settings?...thanks

Amber-Jimmy Johnson

Jan 6, 2015, 5:32:24 AM via Website

If you found out how to fix this please email me at (This post was edited to remove personal email address- Please have a look at the forum guidelines to understand what is acceptable over here). I have the same problem and have no idea what im doing.

— modified on Jan 6, 2015, 5:03:27 PM by moderator

Sonali Chauhan
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 17, 2015, 9:33:10 AM via Website

I think only genius can give answer all about this.

Matthew French

Jun 25, 2015, 2:52:28 AM via Website

hello i have an s3 and i just shut off and wont turn back on it will will load up till the samgsung s3 screen than shut off and say the battery is dead have tried two batterys now

Churchboy Uzoma
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 1, 2016, 10:19:27 AM via Website

SGS3 Firmeware Flash downlaod mode: how long dose it need to come up again becuse my phone is writing Downloading...... Do not turn off taget

— modified on Feb 1, 2016, 10:49:20 AM

A. Raquib Amiwala

Jul 20, 2016, 7:31:49 AM via Website

I have Samsung Galaxy S3 and when i turn it ON it stucks at the samsung logo, also VOLUME UP button is not working. Is there anyway i can do the hard reset?