How to fix the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped error

• Replies:41
  • Closed
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 110

Jun 12, 2013, 12:11:01 PM via Website

Ive seen a few people ask how to fix "the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" or "google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly" and its actually quite an easy fix. It shouldn't really matter on what device you see this error, or with what app/function it occurred, just follow these easy steps:

1. Go to MENU
2. Go to SETTINGS
3. Go to APPS
4. Look for DOWNLOAD MANAGER under ALL
5. Disable it then enable it

Menu-> Settings-> Apps-> All-> Download Manager (Disable then enable)

That should do the trick.

If for some reason that doesnt work, try clearing your app cache, or deleting some recently downloaded apps.

tzn tharuMohamad Al-Koubeitri‫حسين الكاهلي‬‎Linda CallahanRafael PerNaveen Kishore R SSamtz HkipsLee WilsonAyriton MoyaJohn HamnettSaar Shemesh

JesterJoyce
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 16, 2013, 10:31:15 PM via Website

My phone doesn't have an Enable/Disable option under Download Manager :(

Dan P.
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 8:08:08 PM via Website

I have a Motorola Droid3-Verizon-2.3.4 and can't find the option

Kenji Shinawara

Jul 23, 2013, 6:07:03 PM via Website

Try this.. settings ----> application manager ----> all ----> click the bottom left touch button and select reset apps (this will not erase the apps) this will only restore the apps into its fixed state

‫حسين الكاهلي‬‎Thato Shadrack ZokoTheShadowWwRobert Yamada

Saar Shemesh

Jul 24, 2013, 4:17:36 PM via Website

ty i dont know but my download was disabled

Elan andrew
  • Forum posts: 4

Jul 26, 2013, 8:21:29 AM via Website

Why not you go at the settings and simply just click the end left touch key and choose totally reset applications (this will not remove the apps) this will only recover the applications into its set state .

j d
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 28, 2013, 3:21:47 PM via Website

It dose not work on mine pls help

j d

Jul 28, 2013, 3:23:33 PM via Website

My one says disabled but no option.to enable

Nikul Chauhanshane jogie

Erik Sänd

Jul 29, 2013, 6:04:53 AM via Website

Thank you! settings ----> application manager ----> all ----> bottom left button, reset apps. works on Samsung galaxy 4s!

rob maynard

Jul 29, 2013, 9:35:16 PM via Website

Hello I had that problem with my otherhalfs galaxy 2 and tried a few things but you can try this. Go into app settings then go to all apps then hit bottom left buttom of phone then should get menu up with reset app preformance hope this helps.

rob maynard

Jul 29, 2013, 9:44:05 PM via Website

Go into app manager then all apps then hit bottom left button on phone and menu pop up with reset app preformance. Hope it helps.

John Hamnett

Aug 2, 2013, 9:48:04 PM via Website

Thank you,

Your fix worked great on the HTC One S. :grin:

Salil Goyal

Aug 5, 2013, 4:38:18 PM via Website

hi all,

i installed ota update from samsung (4.2.2) for my s3. Now it started giving "unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" popup every 5 seconds. Made navigation & my life extremely difficult.

So, i did a google search. in application settings, reset the preferences, cleared data of "all apps", removed sync, all google accounts. the problem persisted. I took a backup via kies and did a factory reset as many suggested it is the last resort. the problem is still very much there and now i can't even get to home screen as for some reason phone's first time setup is not getting complete. it gets stuck at "google & location" screen and doesn't go further.

To add to it, the "unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" popup appears every 5 seconds and has made it worse.

The phone's out of warranty. I even tried to root it today using odin but odin is not detecting the phone. I installed usb drivers and rebooted the phone in recovery mode and still no luck.

I am running out of options. I got a vacation in few days and it will be a bummer if i cant use my fone.

Tien Nguyen

Aug 5, 2013, 7:43:24 PM via Website

My phone' htc lost contact

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 19

Aug 11, 2013, 10:07:38 PM via Website

Thanks!

dunlap

Aug 11, 2013, 10:17:08 PM via Website

I have tried all the tricks to get rid of this problem with no luck. I was at the point of resetting my tablet but I uninstalled the Facebook app and the problem has stopped. Will reload the app and keep you posted

Sandy Gerald

Aug 13, 2013, 8:08:55 AM via Website

Would like to much obliged for imparting this with us...I am just truly amazed by the steps included by you..It is really helpful..
:D

Hand of Endowment
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 13, 2013, 8:49:10 PM via Website

Thanks, it seems to have worked.

Namiq Aliyev

Aug 13, 2013, 11:48:03 PM via Website

Georg Seebode
Ive seen a few people ask how to fix "the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" or "google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly" and its actually quite an easy fix. It shouldn't really matter on what device you see this error, or with what app/function it occurred, just follow these easy steps:

1. Go to MENU
2. Go to SETTINGS
3. Go to APPS

If for some reason that doesnt work, try clearing your app cache, or deleting some recently downloaded apps.

dbouyer44Jiten

Theresa Hnatejko-Smith

Aug 16, 2013, 5:45:43 AM via Website

I'm having this issue in my Galaxy S Infuse 4G
I've tried
1. Go to MENU
2. Go to SETTINGS
3. Go to APPS

But do not have a disable/enable option and I have also tried

settings ----> application manager ----> all ----> bottom left button, reset apps.

when I hit the bottom left button the only option I have is "sort by"
I've tried clearing the cache and the data on google services framework nothing works.
Any other ideas?

Paul Owens

Mark Galiobne

Aug 16, 2013, 9:15:44 PM via Website

Thankyou, Thankyou,Thankyou,Thankyou,Thankyou.

I've been searching for this for a couple of weeks and gon e down loads of blind alleys.

Really, clear and easy post to follow.

Cheers

pratik vyas

Aug 17, 2013, 5:14:17 PM via Website

THERE IS NO 'ENABLE AND DISABLE' OPTION ON MY MOBILE

Muhammad Najmuddin Azzam

Aug 18, 2013, 1:32:31 AM via Website

Hi, I'm using samsung note 2. Also havinh this problem. Pkease help. :(

Kishan Toprani

Aug 20, 2013, 6:31:25 AM via Website

MY PHONE DOESNT HAVE THIS ALL THING

Julia Meadows

Aug 21, 2013, 2:26:57 AM via Website

Kenji Shinawara
Try this.. settings ----> application manager ----> all ----> click the bottom left touch button and select reset apps (this will not erase the apps) this will only restore the apps into its fixed state

Thank you for this !!!! VZW didn't even know how to fix it. I tried other things on this forum and they didn't work, but this did !!!! Thankis again.

Elminda Escosura

Aug 21, 2013, 5:01:23 AM via Website

i cant go to menu because home menu and all icon doesn't appear all is black out..and only the message about "process com.google.process.gapps has stopped", is the only I read again and again on my phone Samsung galaxy pocket.. what should I do? can you help me?plss.. .thanks a lot..

Vladimir Harhaji

Aug 21, 2013, 10:09:06 AM via Website

I am the one of many who had this problem. I did what was suggested here and till now it works! DOWMLOAD MANAGE was disabled on my phone. I just enable it.
Thanks.

JesterJoyce

Aug 22, 2013, 8:32:47 PM via Website

I have a Samsung Captivate

JesterJoyce

Aug 22, 2013, 8:35:02 PM via Website

Georg Seebode
what phone do you have?

I have the Samsung Captivate

Geo

Aug 24, 2013, 9:46:03 PM via Website

I just wanted to thank you for putting up a SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT answer to this problem. I've tried so many other wacky internet suggestions and they were exercises in futility.

Cracker Jack

Aug 28, 2013, 5:35:16 PM via Website

Since this is the #1 search result for "process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" on Google, I wanted to give everyone an August 2013 update for those who have tried everything mentioned to no avail. I'm on a rooted T-Mobile Prism (or Huwaei Ascend) with Cyanogenmod 7.2 Stable. I was also getting sporadic errors of "process com.android.gms has stopped" in conjunction with the Google based error. My phone was almost unusable because of all the error popping up.

To give you an idea of the chaos I went through with the error, I have done the following with no avail:

- Force stopped and cleared cache for ALL Google related apps and calendar/contacts apps:
- Calendar
- Calendar Storage
- Contacts
- Contacts Storage
- Download Manager
- Downloads
- Gallery
- Gmail
- Google Calendar Sync
- Google Contacts Sync
- Google Play Services
- Google Play Store
- Google Search
- Google Services Framework
- Hangouts
- Uninstalled Updates for Google Play Store
- Reinstalled the Google Services Framework APK
- Removed all recent apps and updated apps (includes Voxer, Packers app, Accuweather, Reddit Is Fun, etc)
- Went to Settings > Accounts & Sync and turned off all syncing. Even did a manul sync for Sync People Details, Contacts, Gmail, Picasa, App Data, and Calendar. None of these errored out when manually syncing
- Ran an AVG and Avast virus scan. No threats found.

As you can see, I've done about everything that everyone on the Internet recommends. To add to this, I even had this error before I rooted (and is the sole reason I grew the cojones to root... which I'm glad I did!). While the error went away, it came back recently after my phone shut down from a low battery.

So what fixed it, you ask? I simply uninstalled Google Play Services. Once I did this, I opened up the Play Store. A prompt came up asking me to installed Google Play Services, which I did. After that... the errors went away completely! It's been about 15 hours now and not an error in site. I've even opened up all of the Google apps to see if I could get the error to come back, and it hasn't!

Hopefully this will help some of you folks that have mentioned the above fixes not working!

R AnbuKat ForsterAllen SmithToddlyChristopher ClarkeIan Wallace

Chris John

Aug 30, 2013, 4:39:06 PM via Website

Hi there, I have followed this thread for a number of weeks with interest since my phones and tablets all developed the same software fault, process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly.

I assume it is a google fault so should they not offer some sort of fix for it?

Within days of each other first my HTC Flyer tablet crashed completely and once I got it restarted it continually flashes, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped message. I lost most of my data and information from the tablet so I tried a factory reset, this despite having reset the tablet more than 20 times made no difference it still has the error message, now it is almost permanently displayed on the screen, hardly enough time between pressing force close button before it reappears.

After about a week the same fault appeared on both my HTC Wildfire phones even though at know time had they been connected to the tablet or laptop and sync has been switched off, I have tried every suggested fix and none work on them either.

To top things off yesterday the same message started appearing on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and my new just out of the box Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet.

It looks like a major Google problem or some sort of virus that is infecting all Android products.

Any help or ideas that will guarantee a fix would be very gratefully received.

If not it looks like an expensive box of scrap phones and tablets and back to Apple iPad and phone.

— modified on Aug 30, 2013, 4:45:19 PM

ABhishek SIngh

Aug 31, 2013, 3:26:02 PM via Website

I own galaxy grand n i m facing that google.gapps.process n my play store is not working n i m unable to download anything plz help

dunlap

Aug 31, 2013, 11:04:26 PM via Website

i uninstalled the Facebook app and the problem stopped. reinstalled it and the problem began all over. left Facebook on and kept getting the error. so a few weeks later i removed facebook and again the error stopped.

Toddly

John H

Sep 1, 2013, 1:08:43 AM via Website

Thank you all for the helpful info. My phone didn't have the download manager either, but hitting the 'refresh apps' option certainly worked.

Thanks again!

Toddly

Jorge Martinez

Sep 1, 2013, 2:29:42 AM via Website

This worked!! thanks!

Rakesh Rajiv

Sep 3, 2013, 4:03:52 PM via Website

yup.... i got it done...thanks

Faur Cosmin-Ioan

Sep 6, 2013, 7:53:16 PM via Website

i have a huawei ascend 520 and since a have forced shut down "donwload manager" because it had a error whem i was downloading something it stil appears this eror even if i disable/enable the program from settings. I need some help. Thanks

Julz Ashley

Sep 9, 2013, 9:11:03 AM via Website

Georg Seebode

1. Go to MENU
2. Go to SETTINGS
3. Go to APPS

Annick David

Sep 10, 2013, 4:34:28 AM via Website

Hi
I don't have a disable/enable in my download manager.
How do I get rid of the error message. I have had problems with it for over a week now.
I also had to uninstall Facebook as it was not working either. Thanks