4.2 update

• Replies:2
Peter Fuzz
  • Forum posts: 7

Jul 11, 2013, 1:07:55 PM via Website

Hello
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this so please bear with me.
I have an 8" Onda V812 Tablet with IPS Touch Screen and Android 4.1 with 16GB HDD, 2GB RAM and Octocore graphics. It is lovely tablet and I am very pleased with it.
I was notified of an upgrade to Android 4.2 which I have now downloaded (640Mb) it has full instructions but it is all in Chinese even the graphics, so I am hesitant to do the upgrade without a clear understanding of what I am doing so I attempted a translation using Google but it is still very clear
There is a folder with 3 files :
PhoenixSuitV1.0.6_CN.msi (which I think has to be installed on my PC)
V812Core4_v3.2_v1.img (the update image)
请一定先打开看本文档!!!【刷机教程】.doc ( instructions)
1) Is the upgrade improvements worth the risk of failure and possibly "bricking" my tablet?
2) How can I get a clearer understanding of what to do; i.e. is it much the same as adding a third party ROM?
I am worried about doing the procedure because I am in my 70s and not well off and I struggled to buy the tablet in the first place.
Could someone give me some advice please.
Thank you

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jul 11, 2013, 4:54:44 PM via Website

Hi Peter, where did you receive the notification of the Android update from? If it was directly from the manufacturer then it should be safe to assume the update file would be ok to install. I don't know why any manufacturer would want to brick their own devices! But as always, if you are unsure, look into the update source more before you update anything (I'm not sure why it would be in Chinese unless the manufacturer only really sells in China?). Any improvements can wait if it means you feel more confident about the install.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Peter Fuzz
  • Forum posts: 7

Jul 11, 2013, 10:54:02 PM via Website

Thanks for your reply Kris
I was notified by Onda and downloaded the upgrade from their site so it must be okay.
The instructions in Chinese that cause me concern because it seems to say that I must install an app on my PC and then use this app to update my tablet.There is no indication how or when I should couple the tablet to the computer.
Perhaps I am being ultra cautious because of how much I value my tablet.