Google Nexus 7 — Install Android 4.3 on the 2012 Nexus 7, SIMPLE METHOD

• Replies:9
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jul 31, 2013, 2:44:24 PM via Website

Before you jump into flashing the Android 4.3 firmware on your 2012 Nexus 7 (see the tutorial thread here), first try this simple method.

This method makes use of the OTA update for Android 4.3 available for Nexus devices.

1. In 'Settings' click 'Applications.'
  2. On the 'All' tab, browse to find 'Google Services Framework'.

3. Click it, and once in the application page, click 'Force Stop' and then 'Clear Data'.
  4. Turn off your Nexus 7 and restart.
  5. Wait a few minutes (go make a cup of coffee or something) and then return to 'Settings' and click 'About Tablet'.

6. Click on 'System Updates'.
  7. Your Nexus 7 should now run Android 4.3.

If no update is offered, just try again. We had to do this method 20 or so times before it worked, but it did work eventually!

— modified on Jul 31, 2013, 2:44:38 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Raul Costa

Jeff Lewis
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 3, 2013, 5:32:34 PM via Website

Tried -- still no luck.
Android 4.3 System Update has been downloaded, but "Restart & Install" button is not responsive - either by touch or keyboard.
Also tried "touch" with keyboard disconnected.

Jeff Lewis
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 4, 2013, 9:21:55 PM via Website

Jeff Lewis
Tried -- still no luck.
Android 4.3 System Update has been downloaded, but "Restart & Install" button is not responsive - either by touch or keyboard.
Also tried "touch" with keyboard disconnected.

Finally worked with a mouse! The nonresponsiveness of buttons is a frequent problem.

Is it defective hardware or poor integration of software?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 5, 2013, 10:27:06 AM via Website

Hi Jeff, glad you got it to work. Let us know if the touch sensitivity problem improves now you're running 4.3. Because the 4.3 update was specifically meant to improve touch sensitivity issues on the Nexus 7, especially when it comes to the keyboard (a common complaint). Funny that you had keyoboard problems while trying to install the update that fixes that problem!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Steve Barnes
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 6, 2014, 6:04:52 PM via Website

I followed the simple method. After the long download of 4.3. and following prompt to install and restart, I get the screen showing "error" with the green android robot laying on his back. I got the same thing at least 6 times. Does this mean that I will need to do the other method that involves flashing? I do not feel comfortable with that idea. Maybe I should just buy the 2013 model?

OZA
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 30, 2014, 12:38:33 PM via Website

Have you solved the problem? How? I have the same problem with my Nexus 7.
I will try the one sugested here.

— modified on Oct 30, 2014, 12:45:12 PM

John Furystrom
  • Forum posts: 47

Jul 14, 2017, 3:27:55 PM via Website

I wish i could try it, sound easy and way mo faster than reflashing.

mahikhan
  • Forum posts: 11

Aug 5, 2019, 3:12:34 PM via Website

yup this

mahikhan

Aug 5, 2019, 3:12:55 PM via Website

still facing

mahikhan

Aug 5, 2019, 3:13:20 PM via Website

anyone have found the solution