Hard Reset your Samsung Galaxy Note 2

• Replies:159
  • Stickied
Rr9
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 5, 2014, 4:36:23 AM via Website

Try plugging your Note II into your computer and deleting some cashe files. Such as some files that begin with a "." (Period) or a "_" (Underscore).
I did that once and cleared up 1.5 gb in my phone and most of it was cashe files left from uninstalled apps and games. Also not to mention thumbnails of every photo I ever opened.
Hope it helps

Tairalyn Ciulla

Jan 7, 2014, 6:05:31 AM via Website

HELP! long story short we just bought a phone from a guy off craigslist, a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. My husband broke his today and we wanted another one just like it, because they are discontinued we had to buy online, used.

So we get it, it's all fine and dandy, I do a hard reset as he has some "nova settings" that I literally CANNOT GET RID OF.

I feel like I have tried everything including the simple answer of deleted the app/widget and then restarting, all the way to a restore and a hard reset. Nothing is working, his operating system is so confusing we just want the OLD look back. We've had a hard enough day as it is, we just want to go to bed happy. CAN SOMEONE HELP. How do I delete this damn nova and get it back to it's factory state?

Thank you in advance for ALL your help!

XXOO
Taira

Jose

Jan 14, 2014, 7:56:16 PM via Website

My phone is on powering up saying Samsung Galaxy Note II even after a hard reset.

RexLuna

Jan 16, 2014, 12:23:50 PM via Website

Hi, I'm not sure I understand on 3 issues.

1 When would I choose a hard reset over a factory reset?

2 If I factory reset my phone and then want to do it again to make sure everything has deleted properly, should I wait until it has been fully restored, or should I do so before I have input my Google account details (or would it restore anyway)

3 If I have put an SD card into my phone, do these resets resest that card too? And if not, do I want to be doing that?

May thanks!

Chris Usher

Jan 19, 2014, 11:30:14 AM via Website

it was just black all the time same like me.. :(

Kristy Martinez

Jan 22, 2014, 4:14:25 AM via Website

Hello,

My Note 2 cannot access the network. After I made the last call I was able to before the phone started acting up, I pressed the end call button, but the phone call icon remained at the top of the screen as if the call were still taking place. I pressed the end call button a few times before it finally cleared the icon. (The call did end the first time I pressed the end call button...just the icon remained) I called the carrier thinking it was a problem on their end. After walking me through a few steps, the lady said it sounds like the phone has a mind of its own...possibly a virus, and suggested I take it to the store to see what they find. I have had antivirus software. I scanned the phone and found nothing. I tried installing another type of antivirus software, but it didn't find anything either. I tried the factory reset, then the hard reset, and it's still not able to connect to the network. I have four other phones on the plan that are working correctly. It does log into the wifi at home, but cannot access the mobile network or make calls. The phone says it is "preparing network," and the signal strength meter is blank with a red X above it. Do you have any ideas? Thanks!

— modified on Jan 22, 2014, 4:18:53 AM

Chrystal Glynn

Jan 25, 2014, 4:46:21 PM via Website

Hello, I am trying to do a hard reset on the note 2. After I do the restart it tells me my phone is still active and shows my phone #? I'm trying to wipe it and sell it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Justine Retardo

Jan 31, 2014, 1:23:02 PM via Website

What will I do ? I wont work ?

Sumit Ramaiya

Feb 5, 2014, 8:06:52 AM via Website

I am using note2. When I check for the new update it says your phone has been modified.
I even did the hard reset as you have mentioned. Tried without the sd card as well as with the sd card.
Nothing of this works. Request you to please help me out.

Thanks & Regards
Sumit

gagan sharma

Feb 19, 2014, 7:11:49 PM via Website

HI, kris, plz help asap. my galaxy note 2 is not charging at all. i could not charge it at night, in the morning its not starting and not getting charged too. i tried to recharge the battery for 6 hrs, but no use. when i try to switch it on the screen remains black but there is one second red light near the camera site( up top right) which comes and goes. i tried to press the volume power and the home keys too. still nothing on the screen . can anyone help plzzzzz. thanks in advance.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Feb 20, 2014, 7:15:02 PM via Website

Hi @Gagan, did you do anything just before the problem arose? Like flash new firmware or anything? That info would help. If it just stopped turning on one day it could be any number of things. First thing to check is that charger cable and USB plug is functional - try to charge something else with it or try to charge your Note 2 with another cable. It may just be that your battery is dead and your charger is not working. There's also a possibility that you've bent the little metal contact in the USB port on your Note 2. Have a look in there and if t looks like it is not making contact with the USB plug, take your battery out and then try to gently lever it up until it lies in the center of the port again. Then reinsert the battery and plug the USB cable in.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Nancy Clay

Mar 29, 2014, 5:15:56 PM via Website

If I perform a master reset will my Android version go back to factory setting? I updated to 4.3 and MMS quit working thru Net 10. They could not help.

Kris Carlon

Apr 3, 2014, 6:23:45 PM via Website

Hi @Nancy, yes, if you do a reset you will lose all of your data and apps and have a device the same as when it came out of the box. As long as you do a backup (we've got plenty of articles on backing up apps, data and full system settings on the site) then there's no reason not to do a factory reset every now and then just to keep your device running smoothly, especially following an update.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Ejiro Efe

Apr 6, 2014, 10:05:00 AM via Website

Hi Kris,

The problem with my Note 2 is a little different from others here. The phone refuses to boot. It freezes at the logo point. It refuses turn off unless i take of the battery. When I try to perform a hard reset as you have described earlier, the red light flahes once, and the the samsung logo comes up and just blinks until i release the three buttons. Any help?

Ameen Ahsan

Apr 9, 2014, 11:32:56 AM via Website

Hi sorry I don't know whr is the question asking tab. ..i hv a problem in my note 2.. i installed real boxing from a website ... After installing apk it's not opening it's says unfortunately real boxing has stopped. .. plz guyz help me .. (ameenahsan1995@yahoo.com) reply me soon guyz..

Kris Carlon

Apr 9, 2014, 5:16:37 PM via Website

If you were going to hard reset I assume you've already got a backup of your apps and data so a wipe is ok.

Just connect your Note 2 to Odin and flash the latest stock firmware you have/want and then it should get past the boot animation. You can then do a reset and clear cache partition when you do a wipe as well, then reboot and restore everything.

Harman Bajwa

Apr 14, 2014, 3:52:17 PM via Website

Hi. I have note 2 4g. Am having problems like too slow. Apps crash apps closed battery problem takes too long to charge sometimes restart itself very very slow.

Kris Carlon

Apr 14, 2014, 5:00:41 PM via Website

Hey @Harman, have you done a rest already? When did the problems begin? Was it after a firmware update? Usually a battery pull and/or a factory reset (AFTER you back everything up!) is enough to get rid of minor update problems.

You can also try to flash the last firmware available through Odin too if the current firmware is the problem, but then you have to deal with Samsung Knox issues which may not allow you to.

Arsalan Khan

Apr 15, 2014, 2:36:07 AM via Website

Hi Kris, I have Samsung Galaxy Note II AT&T, my device is rooted, if I do reset factory what will happen, if phone will back to unroot or not? I want to get back my device unroot and genuine system..

Help me please..

Look forward for your valuable response...

Kris Carlon

Apr 15, 2014, 3:01:55 PM via Website

Hi @Arsalan, a factory reset won't affect root access. Generally speaking flashing firmware (stock or custom) won't affect root either, but sometimes it does. In any case, if you lose root, you can just follow the root procedure for your device again, but it sounds like you want everything stock again.

In this case you can just do a factory reset and everything will be stock (assuming you weren't running a custom ROM). If you were, you'll just need to flash stock firmware and factory reset to get everything back to new.

Wally Peterson

Apr 16, 2014, 9:46:49 PM via Website

Hey Kris,

I have a Note II through US Cellular, running 4.3 - don't know the firmware version. I recently switched to an S4, but have still been using the Note II over wifi at home as a second device. Got home this afternoon from a morning trip and the Samsung screen was showing, wouldn't charge, wouldn't boot up.

Followed your instructions for a hard reset, which worked fine (getting through the steps I mean). When I "reboot now" at the end, it boots back into the same screen with the same situation, like I didn't do anything. Tried it twice but same results. Any ideas?

roy aniceto

Apr 17, 2014, 5:47:06 PM via Website

i recently reset my note 2 and after a few hours and after i download some apps at play my note2 reboot then hung. and i try again to reset it comes only on android logo and the recovery mode did not appear and restarting then samsung logo then a chinese language appear i do not know whats on the warning and theres only one option to click but when i click it restart but nothing happens. hoping that you can help me. thank you...

Avik Sarkar

Apr 17, 2014, 6:49:45 PM via Website

Hey Kris ! I tied a hard reset on my Note 2 and it started an attempt to download a new OS. Odd part is that I ensured that held the Volume Up button and not the Vol Down. I pulled out the battery and tried again, but now my start up screen is this odd fuzzy white screen with horizontal grey lines. Please advise me what to do next ?

James Gomez
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 28, 2014, 7:46:09 PM via Website

Have you found a fix to this problem I have the same exact thing happen to my phone...

James Gomez

Apr 28, 2014, 7:50:27 PM via Website

Kris do you know what I can do to my galaxy note 2 in order to get it back in working condition? my phone froze and when I went to restart it (pull the battery out) it turned on but only grey fuzzy lines are on there. I tried vol. up/home screen/ and power button but with no success, I can get a different screen with vol. down/home screen/ power button, but I am not sure what to do from here as it send my phone into a "Downloading.... DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET" screen and doesn't do anything else.... HELP!!

Bill Benson

May 1, 2014, 11:30:35 PM via Website

I took this step to try to improve performance, as my Note 2 had become sluggish in my opinion.

It did not help. However, I did not follow the instructions properly, forgetting to dump the cache until after apps had already been re-loaded.

Does it matter that I had a delay between reset steps? I don't want to go through it all over again if doing so would not help me anyway.

As an aside, I had backed up all apps using Google's App for Backup and Restore (and when they got automatically re-downloaded, it took almost half a GIG and ambushed my data quota.) Live and learn, should have waited until I was near a Wi-Fi zone.

Great thread by the way.

— modified on May 1, 2014, 11:31:41 PM

Chris Wolski
  • Forum posts: 3

May 24, 2014, 1:57:36 AM via Website

I am currently rooted and am running CM10 on my Note 2. I would like to go back to the original settings and run Samsungs OS. Can I still do a hard reset? I really don't care about staying rooted and I don't worry about the warranty being voided.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 26, 2014, 9:02:09 AM via Website

Well, @Chris Wolski as you are rooted means your warranty is void !! you don't have any option to care about warranty because rooting your device voids the warranty and as you are rooted and running CM10 :D . Anyway what I can help you with is installing the stock ROM just go to the sammobile/firmware section and get the appropriate stock ROM for your Note 2, once you get the stock ROM downloaded get the latest version of ODIN and use the ODIN to flash the Stock ROM over to your device. Just like the way you flashed the Cyanogenmod 10 over to to your Note. You'll start running the stock ROM over your Note2.

Chris Wolski

May 26, 2014, 3:56:10 PM via Website

THANKS!

Linn Linn

May 27, 2014, 3:51:00 AM via Website

Hi Kris,

When I did factory and reset in samsung note 2,nothing appear on the screen and only showed Samsung Logo.

When I take out battery and retry again also no use.

It would be appreciated if you could assist to give me advice ASAP.

Thanks you.

Michael Browning

May 27, 2014, 6:24:09 AM via Website

Kris,

I updated to 4.3 and my Note 2 will now no longer switch automatically to my work Wifi from 4G when I enter the building. It tries to connect, but then turns off the wifi. I can get it to connect to my work wifi network if I turn off the data access over mobile network. Otherwise, it will not connect.

Should I do I hard reset? I have backed up all my contacts/photos/etc. through Google...

MB

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 27, 2014, 6:31:18 AM via Website

@Linn the solution I gave to @Chris also goes to you to you'll be in a need to flash the stock firmware over to your device, which can be done by downloading the stock ROM from going to sammobile/firmware, use the latest version of Odin to flash it over your device. It should start working fine !! :)

Kris Carlon

May 31, 2014, 8:21:20 PM via Website

Hey @Chris, depending on where you are and your carrier etc, you might be about to get the official KitKat update from Samsung, so keep an eye out for that on SamMobile's firmware page - as @John noted - because once that is out you can flash that and have the most current version of official firmware on your Note 2 (being rooted means you don't get OTA updates anymore, so you'll have to keep your eyes peeled).

Emelson Batulan Madronio

Jun 2, 2014, 6:31:10 AM via Website

Hi Kris,

Im trying to do hard reset but it didn't work. After many attempts, the last one works but the it is on chinese character. How to change it english?

Thanks

Kris Carlon

Jun 2, 2014, 6:44:14 PM via Website

Ok, so you've accessed Fastboot but you're seeing it in Chinese characters? That's a weird one, I don't know how to change the Fastboot language. I actually thought that was set throught he standard system language (accessed normally in settings).

You could try installing an app called Word Lens Translator which will let your camera app (if you have another smartphone around) live translate the Chinese characters into English so you can do it that way.

Emelson Batulan Madronio

Jun 4, 2014, 12:25:00 AM via Website

Kris Carlon

Ok, so you've accessed Fastboot but you're seeing it in Chinese characters? That's a weird one, I don't know how to change the Fastboot language. I actually thought that was set throught he standard system language (accessed normally in settings).

You could try installing an app called Word Lens Translator which will let your camera app (if you have another smartphone around) live translate the Chinese characters into English so you can do it that way.

Sir the reason why Im doing the hard reset is that my son forgot the password of the phone hence, we cannot install nor open the phone.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jun 4, 2014, 6:47:54 AM via Website

Emelson Batulan Madronio

Kris Carlon

Sir the reason why Im doing the hard reset is that my son forgot the password of the phone hence, we cannot install nor open the phone.

are you seeing this characters in fastboot . if yes, then your phone is a fake

Ready To Help You.

Deactivated Account

Jun 4, 2014, 6:48:59 AM via Website

Michael Browning

Kris,

I updated to 4.3 and my Note 2 will now no longer switch automatically to my work Wifi from 4G when I enter the building. It tries to connect, but then turns off the wifi. I can get it to connect to my work wifi network if I turn off the data access over mobile network. Otherwise, it will not connect.

Should I do I hard reset? I have backed up all my contacts/photos/etc. through Google...

MB

This might be a bug on firmware . hard reset will solve the issue

Ready To Help You.

Yvette Benavides

Jun 8, 2014, 10:46:12 PM via Website

My note 2 is stuck on the Samsung screen so I tried doing the hard reset. But when it reboots it stays stuck again... anything else I can do?

Deactivated Account

Jun 9, 2014, 3:57:39 AM via Website

Yvette Benavides

My note 2 is stuck on the Samsung screen so I tried doing the hard reset. But when it reboots it stays stuck again... anything else I can do?

In this case, you need to update your firmware vie KIES or re-flash using ODIN

Ready To Help You.

Hemendra Desai

Jun 22, 2014, 7:33:18 AM via Website

I just received update to my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II for Kit Kat 4.4.2. I have approx 700+ apps installed and associated data. What will be the best way to reset the device without loosing all the data and apps? Verizon tells me that I will have to reset the device to make it to work properly.

Deactivated Account

Jun 22, 2014, 7:36:00 AM via Website

Hemendra Desai

I just received update to my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II for Kit Kat 4.4.2. I have approx 700+ apps installed and associated data. What will be the best way to reset the device without loosing all the data and apps? Verizon tells me that I will have to reset the device to make it to work properly.

you can use helium app for backup data with rooting
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&hl=en

— modified on Jun 22, 2014, 7:36:38 AM

Ready To Help You.

Hemendra Desai

Jun 22, 2014, 5:29:54 PM via Website

I do not have rooted device, will it still work?

Deactivated Account

Jun 23, 2014, 3:52:21 AM via Website

Hemendra Desai

I do not have rooted device, will it still work?

sure it will work .you don't need a rooted device

Ready To Help You.

Kris Carlon

Jun 23, 2014, 5:51:32 PM via Website

As @mobilecrackers mentioned, Helium lets you backup without root. You just use your computer to sidestep the root part. I just wrote an article explaining the process to backup without root for the Galaxy S4, but you can follow the same steps for the Note 2 (some of the settigns may be slightly different depending on what Android version you have).

Hemendra Desai

Jun 24, 2014, 5:12:46 PM via Website

I tried following the options you have specified. Helium keeps on stating that the "Helium server is not running" and then Helium crashes.

Kris Carlon

Jun 25, 2014, 12:51:21 PM via Website

Have you enabled PC Download in the overflow menu? If you have and the Helium server is still not running then perhaps there's an issue on that side? I haven't encountered this problem before.

But you can simply save your backup to USB instead of the server. If you have space issues, just backup the data but not the app APKs, then you simply need to reinstall the apps manually before restoring your data.

Zhen Lin

Jul 3, 2014, 1:03:30 AM via Website

i have clean data and Wipe Cache Partition but my phone still restart.

Deactivated Account

Jul 3, 2014, 4:46:08 AM via App

you need to Reflash your firmware with ODIN or update your phone vie Kies...

Ready To Help You.