Hard Reset your Samsung Galaxy Note 2

• Replies:148
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 20, 2013 9:06:04 PM via Website

Okay, thanks. But I think my SD-card already has managed to delete everything that it contained :p It has been telling me at 2 times that it need to be formated before I can use it, and I did. I don't even know what it contained, exept some pictures I just took. Does this mean I SHOULD hard reset my phone, and that the problem with the SD-card probably will be solved then?
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 21, 2013 9:27:50 AM via Website

Hi Kris, thanks for the reply. I bought the phone brand new. I live in Malaysia right now and it's a huge hassle to take the phone back because once the retailer sells the phone, they'd have nothing else to do with it. I'd have to take it to a Samsung service center and I'll have to leave the phone with them for weeks. Very inconvenient. I'm not sure what version firmware it's running on. But when I check for updates in Settings, it says all software is up to date. Do you think it'll help if I do a factory reset?

Thanks!
Christine

p.s. I feel this new phone is different out of the box from the one that was stolen. I only lost it a month ago so I believe the previous one was running on the same firmware. But it had different apps installed on it (such as photo editor) out of the box, and the new phone doesn't. And this is probably silly, but the messages notification light for the previous phone was green and this new one is blue. I just think it's weird. I bought both phones brand new.
  • Forum posts: 1,338

Nov 21, 2013 11:24:41 AM via Website

Hmm, @Camila, so you've lost data and reformatted your SD card already but it still won't work? If everything is already gone then yes, I would definitely perform a Hard Reset and check back in here if there's still a problem.

— modified on Nov 21, 2013 11:25:27 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Nov 21, 2013 11:41:17 AM via Website

Hi @Christine, do you think you might not have an original Note 2? Was the place you bought it from reputable? I don't know Malaysia very well, but I know South East Asian electronics are riddled with fakes of varying quality (I bought a fake iPhone 5 running Android just for kicks and it's very hard to spot the difference). That could possibly be the problem, but a trip to the service center would quickly determine if that is the case. in the meantime I don't know what else you can do if the retailer wouldn't refund or replace it and a service center vacation isn't on the cards.

For your screen timeout issue, you can check your Display settings and what you've got your screen set to, but this wouldn't explain why the screen only turns off in some apps and not others. It makes sense that some apps control the screen, but not to have it never shutting off on the home screen. The slide to answer problem is beyond my technical knowledge but the dictionary app problem sounds like it might actually be the app's problem, not the device's. Perhaps double check the app settings to make sure it's syncing with your Note 2.

And then I'd recommend doing a full back of your apps and data and performing either a Factory or Hard Reset and see if the problems are gone.

— modified on Nov 25, 2013 1:01:07 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

• Forum posts: 1

Nov 21, 2013 10:46:36 PM via Website

Hi, I've had my Samsung galaxy note 2 for a few months now and it wont charge at all. It died off completely and when I tried to plug it in it didn't work. I noticed the charger was a bit worn and bent a little so I borrowed my friends but it still doesn't want to charge, at first it kept popping up with the battery sign with the circle in it then it went away but then never actually charged. I unplugged it and tried again a few times but then after the 3rd-4th attempt it randomly showed a full green battery on the screen with the words 100% on it then it went away and my phone hasn't been able to turn on or even give any sign of it trying to charge anymore. I don't know what to do, a lot of people told me to try and factory reset it but I cant even get it to work for that either. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or had been through this before.

Nov 22, 2013 7:00:36 AM via Website

hi,
i have rooted my device and want to unroot it can i do a factory reset or hard reset to remove it from my note 2 cause my ota update and knox function doesnt work.
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 23, 2013 5:45:38 PM via Website

Thanks again for getting back to me. I did purchase my phone from a reputable retailer. My phone has had some new issues in the past couple of days, freezing up and restarting on its own while I was using an app. Guess I'll have to take it to the service center and see what they can do. Makes me hate the thief who stole the previous Note 2 even more, ugh...

Nov 25, 2013 12:55:58 PM via Website

Hi @Clark, here's a fix we got for a Galaxy Nexus ages ago that has solved many charging problems and may well work on your Note 2 as well. Check the USB port on your Note and look to see if the ''tab'' inside might be a little bent. Take the battery out of your Note 2 and gently lever the tab up towards the center of the port a little (but be VERY careful!) and then reinsert your battery and then try to charge again. It seems many Galaxy Nexuses had the same problem with poor contact, so give it a shot and let me know if it helped. And in keeping with galactic forum mojo protocol, thanks go to the OP of the fix: @Marchino!

— modified on Nov 25, 2013 12:56:15 PM

Nov 25, 2013 1:00:24 PM via Website

Hey @Aditya, factory or hard resetting will not affect root access. The only thing that does is flashing official firmware. So all you need to do is flash official firmware from Samsung via Odin and you should lose root and regain OTA update functionality. In case you still have root (just use an app to check) after you flash the firmware, just use an unroot tool and then reflash.

Hi @Christine, have you done a Factory or Hard Reset yet? I'd suggest backing up and trying one or both of those methods first before you do the whole service center thing, especially if it's a pain and will keep your Note 2 out of your hands for ages.

— modified on Nov 25, 2013 1:03:39 PM

Nov 25, 2013 7:24:53 PM via Website

Hi Kris - your last answer was too vague. Will my phone (considering it is rooted) be ok after after a hard reset without unrooting first? Do I have to unroot before a hard reset? Or will it brick if I reset without unrooting?

Nov 26, 2013 8:41:59 PM via Website

Hi @Nick, my apologies, I thought you were more concerned with speeding up your Note 2 than with losing root. Having root on a device (generally) doesn't make a difference to performing a hard reset. It's a system privilege and Hard Reset is simply a way to wipe and reformat your device. Sometimes you might lose root after doing a reset, but it's easy to get back if you do (and you want it, of course!). But there are always cases where all hell breaks loose no matter how by-the-book you might have gone, so I don't want to offer any guarantees. If it makes you feel more secure, I would simply unroot then hard reset then get root back if you want it. And don't forget to back everything up!

Nov 30, 2013 1:46:02 PM via Website

hey i have an app that keep on crashing when ever i open it .... how do i check whether if any other apps is interfering with it ?

Dec 1, 2013 3:57:45 AM via Website

Hello,

My galaxy note 2 bugged so i turned it off.When i tried turn on it get stuck on samsung logo.I tried to do factory reset by using up volume,home and turning buttons.When i do so i only get android logo and couple of minute later it gets buck to samsung logo.I changed the battery with new one but still getting same problem.
Please can you advise?

Dec 2, 2013 3:40:48 PM via Website

Hi @Darius, what kind of app is it? The easiest thing to do is to remove the app temporarily and see if there's any other problems. Then reinstall and see if the problem persists. Check the comments for the affected app in the Play Store and see if anyone else is reporting problems, or you could email the developer. Otherwise, let me know what the app is and what the problem is and I'll see what I can come up with (ie does it ever work? When did the problem start etc).

Hi @Djide, just try a couple of times with slight differences in how and when you press the buttons. Sometimes it takes a little getting used to. For me, I press and hold Volume Up and Home, then hold power until the phone either vibrates or the Android logo appears.

— modified on Dec 2, 2013 3:59:39 PM

Dec 3, 2013 2:45:31 AM via Website

hello i do but still getting same problem.the android logo appears but still loading.i can get restore menu .

Dec 3, 2013 6:05:25 PM via Website

Hmm, I don't know what else to suggest. When I did it it took three tries (it usually takes a couple!) but I got there in the end. I would suggest just being tenacious with it, but I don't want you to be trying for days and getting nowhere. Perhaps you could take it into a service center and ask them to do it for you? Or ask a tech-minded friend with magic fingers?

Dec 10, 2013 7:37:29 AM via Website

thank you! hope that helps me!
  • Forum posts: 21

Dec 10, 2013 8:06:22 AM via App

does it deletes root files also which unable to be deleted manually???

Dec 10, 2013 11:47:37 PM via Website

I don't quite understand @Nikhil. Do you mean: will doing a hard reset wipe root files? If so, the answer is no (unless they are not original system files). All it does is reset your phone to a factory standard and wipe everything, but anything Samsung put on your phone will still be there (bloatware apps etc). The only way to get rid of that stuff is to get root access to your phone and delete them that way. If you're asking if a hard reset will remove root access, the answer to that is no. You'll still have root after a hard reset.

Dec 13, 2013 1:03:52 AM via Website

hi! my little brother put a password on his note2 then suddenly mistyped it several times causing it to lock..

he then said he turned it off and when he tried to turn it back on again it won't turn on again but it vibrates when i press the two keys adjacent to the home key..
i would try to hard reset it using the recovery mode but i can't figure out if it is turned on or off..

well, it has not suffered any physical damage(like dropping).. if i can only know the source of the problem, it would be a big help.. and thanks!!

— modified on Dec 13, 2013 1:08:42 AM