Hard Reset your Samsung Galaxy Note 2

• Replies:146
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 1,338

Feb 20, 2014 7:15:02 PM via Website

Hi @Gagan, did you do anything just before the problem arose? Like flash new firmware or anything? That info would help. If it just stopped turning on one day it could be any number of things. First thing to check is that charger cable and USB plug is functional - try to charge something else with it or try to charge your Note 2 with another cable. It may just be that your battery is dead and your charger is not working. There's also a possibility that you've bent the little metal contact in the USB port on your Note 2. Have a look in there and if t looks like it is not making contact with the USB plug, take your battery out and then try to gently lever it up until it lies in the center of the port again. Then reinsert the battery and plug the USB cable in.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

• Forum posts: 1

Mar 29, 2014 5:15:56 PM via Website

If I perform a master reset will my Android version go back to factory setting? I updated to 4.3 and MMS quit working thru Net 10. They could not help.

Apr 3, 2014 6:23:45 PM via Website

Hi @Nancy, yes, if you do a reset you will lose all of your data and apps and have a device the same as when it came out of the box. As long as you do a backup (we've got plenty of articles on backing up apps, data and full system settings on the site) then there's no reason not to do a factory reset every now and then just to keep your device running smoothly, especially following an update.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Apr 6, 2014 10:05:00 AM via Website

Hi Kris,

The problem with my Note 2 is a little different from others here. The phone refuses to boot. It freezes at the logo point. It refuses turn off unless i take of the battery. When I try to perform a hard reset as you have described earlier, the red light flahes once, and the the samsung logo comes up and just blinks until i release the three buttons. Any help?

Apr 9, 2014 11:32:56 AM via Website

Hi sorry I don't know whr is the question asking tab. ..i hv a problem in my note 2.. i installed real boxing from a website ... After installing apk it's not opening it's says unfortunately real boxing has stopped. .. plz guyz help me .. (ameenahsan1995@yahoo.com) reply me soon guyz..

Apr 9, 2014 5:16:37 PM via Website

If you were going to hard reset I assume you've already got a backup of your apps and data so a wipe is ok.

Just connect your Note 2 to Odin and flash the latest stock firmware you have/want and then it should get past the boot animation. You can then do a reset and clear cache partition when you do a wipe as well, then reboot and restore everything.

Apr 14, 2014 3:52:17 PM via Website

Hi. I have note 2 4g. Am having problems like too slow. Apps crash apps closed battery problem takes too long to charge sometimes restart itself very very slow.

Apr 14, 2014 5:00:41 PM via Website

Hey @Harman, have you done a rest already? When did the problems begin? Was it after a firmware update? Usually a battery pull and/or a factory reset (AFTER you back everything up!) is enough to get rid of minor update problems.

You can also try to flash the last firmware available through Odin too if the current firmware is the problem, but then you have to deal with Samsung Knox issues which may not allow you to.

Apr 15, 2014 2:36:07 AM via Website

Hi Kris, I have Samsung Galaxy Note II AT&T, my device is rooted, if I do reset factory what will happen, if phone will back to unroot or not? I want to get back my device unroot and genuine system..

Help me please..

Look forward for your valuable response...

Apr 15, 2014 3:01:55 PM via Website

Hi @Arsalan, a factory reset won't affect root access. Generally speaking flashing firmware (stock or custom) won't affect root either, but sometimes it does. In any case, if you lose root, you can just follow the root procedure for your device again, but it sounds like you want everything stock again.

In this case you can just do a factory reset and everything will be stock (assuming you weren't running a custom ROM). If you were, you'll just need to flash stock firmware and factory reset to get everything back to new.

Apr 16, 2014 9:46:49 PM via Website

Hey Kris,

I have a Note II through US Cellular, running 4.3 - don't know the firmware version. I recently switched to an S4, but have still been using the Note II over wifi at home as a second device. Got home this afternoon from a morning trip and the Samsung screen was showing, wouldn't charge, wouldn't boot up.

Followed your instructions for a hard reset, which worked fine (getting through the steps I mean). When I "reboot now" at the end, it boots back into the same screen with the same situation, like I didn't do anything. Tried it twice but same results. Any ideas?

Apr 17, 2014 5:47:06 PM via Website

i recently reset my note 2 and after a few hours and after i download some apps at play my note2 reboot then hung. and i try again to reset it comes only on android logo and the recovery mode did not appear and restarting then samsung logo then a chinese language appear i do not know whats on the warning and theres only one option to click but when i click it restart but nothing happens. hoping that you can help me. thank you...

Apr 17, 2014 6:49:45 PM via Website

Hey Kris ! I tied a hard reset on my Note 2 and it started an attempt to download a new OS. Odd part is that I ensured that held the Volume Up button and not the Vol Down. I pulled out the battery and tried again, but now my start up screen is this odd fuzzy white screen with horizontal grey lines. Please advise me what to do next ?

• Forum posts: 2

Apr 28, 2014 7:46:09 PM via Website

Have you found a fix to this problem I have the same exact thing happen to my phone...

• Forum posts: 2

Apr 28, 2014 7:50:27 PM via Website

Kris do you know what I can do to my galaxy note 2 in order to get it back in working condition? my phone froze and when I went to restart it (pull the battery out) it turned on but only grey fuzzy lines are on there. I tried vol. up/home screen/ and power button but with no success, I can get a different screen with vol. down/home screen/ power button, but I am not sure what to do from here as it send my phone into a "Downloading.... DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET" screen and doesn't do anything else.... HELP!!

May 1, 2014 11:30:35 PM via Website

I took this step to try to improve performance, as my Note 2 had become sluggish in my opinion.

It did not help. However, I did not follow the instructions properly, forgetting to dump the cache until after apps had already been re-loaded.

Does it matter that I had a delay between reset steps? I don't want to go through it all over again if doing so would not help me anyway.

As an aside, I had backed up all apps using Google's App for Backup and Restore (and when they got automatically re-downloaded, it took almost half a GIG and ambushed my data quota.) Live and learn, should have waited until I was near a Wi-Fi zone.

Great thread by the way.

— modified on May 1, 2014 11:31:41 PM

• Forum posts: 3

May 24, 2014 1:57:36 AM via Website

I am currently rooted and am running CM10 on my Note 2. I would like to go back to the original settings and run Samsungs OS. Can I still do a hard reset? I really don't care about staying rooted and I don't worry about the warranty being voided.

• Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,136

May 26, 2014 9:02:09 AM via Website

Well, @Chris Wolski as you are rooted means your warranty is void !! you don't have any option to care about warranty because rooting your device voids the warranty and as you are rooted and running CM10 :D . Anyway what I can help you with is installing the stock ROM just go to the sammobile/firmware section and get the appropriate stock ROM for your Note 2, once you get the stock ROM downloaded get the latest version of ODIN and use the ODIN to flash the Stock ROM over to your device. Just like the way you flashed the Cyanogenmod 10 over to to your Note. You'll start running the stock ROM over your Note2.

May 27, 2014 3:51:00 AM via Website

Hi Kris,

When I did factory and reset in samsung note 2,nothing appear on the screen and only showed Samsung Logo.

When I take out battery and retry again also no use.

It would be appreciated if you could assist to give me advice ASAP.

Thanks you.