Hard Reset your Samsung Galaxy Note 2

• Replies:147
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 15, 2014 5:45:29 AM via Website

Hello Kris,

Recently i encounter some problems with my Notell. My Nll screen just suddenly flash the bootup screen and then after a while it just fuzzy white screen all the way. I try to remove the battery and reboot but same. i bring it to the samsung service centre and they told me that my processor boards are faulty and ask me to replace. i went for a 2nd opinion and the other guy told me its LCD problem. I got frustrated and i google for some info and found your advice on hard reset. I did the volume down, power key and home key hold and i manage to get into a screen where it prompt for custom OS download thing. Since i have no option i hit the down key to proceed with the download and it switch screen with a android icon with "downloading... Do not turn off target!!". so is this the hard reset you are talking about? Also from the above description, the issue with my nll lies on the processor board? Thanks.

Jul 15, 2014 5:47:03 AM via Website

its has been about 2hrs and my nll is still on the screen "downloading...."

• Forum posts: 678

Jul 15, 2014 6:50:44 AM via Website

you need to press Volume up + Home key + power button
then clear cache then wipe data/factor reset

looks like a hardware problem but can't say whether it is a screen problem or processor problem .

— modified on Jul 15, 2014 6:54:25 AM

Ready To Help You.

• Forum posts: 1,338

Jul 15, 2014 10:00:52 AM via Website

This is odd. I've had the static screen on a G2 but it was a graphics card problem and the entire device had to be replaced.

You've entered download mode which is not necessarily what you want (but you might want to try if the following doesn't work).

You need to press volume UP, home and power to enter the fastboot menu and access recovery to do the factory reset. You've pressed volume down, which takes you to download mode (which is where you flash new firmware).

If the factory reset doesn't work then you can try flashing the current firmware again. Just look up your model number (country, carrier) if you don't already know it and look for the latest firmware on Sam Mobile's firmware page. Then connect your Note to your PC and use the program Odin to put the new firmware on your device. We have tutorials for this on the site, just substitute the right files etc for the latest version of Android for your Note 2 and country/carrier.

I would have said you had a GPU issue based on the static screen, but if you can access download mode ok then maybe it's something else entirely. I'm no repair engineer so I tend to go with educated guesses and trial and error. Try the reset and if that doesn't work try flashing the firmware again with Odin and if none of that works let us know and we'll see what's next. Good luck!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Jul 27, 2014 4:50:09 PM via Website

If i perform hard reset i will lose all my data ??

Jul 27, 2014 5:02:43 PM via Website

Ali Raza

If i perform hard reset i will lose all my data ??

you will loose all your download apps and games
Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Ready To Help You.

• Forum posts: 1,338

Jul 28, 2014 6:32:04 PM via Website

Hi @Ali, we have a few tutorials on the site about doing backups. I'd recommend doing a few: make a backup with an app or cloud service, do a full backup or Nandroid (if you have root), use Helium through your PC if you don't have root to do a full backup and then copy your pictures and music yourself to your computer or an external hard drive just for safe keeping. It may seem silly to double up but you can do all of this in about ten minutes - and it's ten minutes you'll wish you spent if you ever have a process go wrong (reseting, flashing, updating etc).

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Aug 12, 2014 4:58:07 PM via Website

Hey i have the same problem as Kuro! The device was charging overnight, and in the morning, when i was checking through all my messages my note 2 screen suddenly when black! I have no idea why. Now i am able to turn it off and hear all the sounds that the note 2 makes and it functions similarly as it was before except for the fact that i can't seem to see anything on the screen because its totally black! Please please help me! ;(

Aug 12, 2014 5:11:19 PM via Website

farhanah

Hey i have the same problem as Kuro! The device was charging overnight, and in the morning, when i was checking through all my messages my note 2 screen suddenly when black! I have no idea why. Now i am able to turn it off and hear all the sounds that the note 2 makes and it functions similarly as it was before except for the fact that i can't seem to see anything on the screen because its totally black! Please please help me! ;(

This will be a hardware problem. Your phone need a repair ..

— modified on Aug 12, 2014 5:11:29 PM

Ready To Help You.

Aug 12, 2014 5:16:16 PM via Website

Er are you real or are you an automated answer?Er thanks anywaysss

Aug 12, 2014 5:47:44 PM via Website

farhanah

Er are you real or are you an automated answer?Er thanks anywaysss

Remove the battery for 10 minutes and put it back.. see if there is any changes. :D
if it doesn't works then get a repair

— modified on Aug 12, 2014 5:48:30 PM

Ready To Help You.

• Forum posts: 1

Aug 30, 2014 9:00:37 PM via Website

hi, i need to hard reset my phone blow away everything BUT! my screen is completely smashed however the phone is functioning. i therefore cannot interact with it. i read your first instructions but cannot see what to choose. would you be able to instruct exactly how many clicks or scrolls with the volume buttons etc? many thanks - MKT

Sep 4, 2014 12:20:19 PM via Website

My note 2 is stuck on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 screen so I tried doing the hard reset. But when it reboots it stays stuck again... anything else I can do?

Sep 4, 2014 12:26:27 PM via Website

carlo acierda

My note 2 is stuck on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 screen so I tried doing the hard reset. But when it reboots it stays stuck again... anything else I can do?

You can re-flash you phone with odin or use emergency firmware recovery from kies

Ready To Help You.

Sep 4, 2014 12:47:18 PM via Website

mobile crackers

carlo acierda

You can re-flash you phone with odin or use emergency firmware recovery from kies

sorry sir, I have no idea how to that, can you teach me please? I really need my phone, all of my important details are saved in my S-Note =( thank you so much for replying...

Oct 9, 2014 2:41:31 AM via Website

Hi Kris,

I have a Note 2 that is now three years old. It started to freeze up over and over, even after a battery removal and fresh reboot, all within 5 minutes. I followed your instructions for a "factory reset" and whoa am I glad I did that. I want to say a BIG THANK YOU for your website! :-)

Oct 13, 2014 11:13:50 AM via Website

hi, i can't update my os, if i do hard reset or factory reset, will it be fixed?

Oct 13, 2014 2:48:14 PM via Website

shao

hi, i can't update my os, if i do hard reset or factory reset, will it be fixed?

you don't need to do that. Just download the firmware from sammobile then flash it with odin

Ready To Help You.

Oct 17, 2014 5:36:42 PM via Website

Just did a hard reset on my Note 2 and it's a painful process. I just discovered that the "contacts backup" I did yesterday didn't actually save my contacts, and after syncing it back I'm missing quite a few. I have NO idea how I'm going to find a few phone numbers that were lost.....

A backup question that I've never found an answer to. Is there a way to save web browser bookmarks??? I've been forced to copy and paste them all into a document.