Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S3

• Replies:96
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 2, 2014 8:23:41 PM via Website

I have experienced some of same issues as others after the 4.3 update. The phone was awesome before the update, terrible after. My android os showed using 85% of my battery. I would have a full charge st 7 a.m and by noon, the phone was dead. Performed a hard reset. It has fixed the battery issues for now. My wifi is still unstable, and I no longer get new text notifications on my lock screen. Before the reset I was receiving the text notifications on the lock screen. I have looked at my settings and in should be receiving them. Phone it's starting to get laggy again, only 3 weeks after reset. Any suggestions?
  • Forum posts: 3

Apr 3, 2014 8:26:45 PM via Website

hello, so my problem is my screen went out on my galaxy s3 and i have a back up that i took in to at&t to have switched but when i did the service tech there went to factory reset the phone (i have done it on the one with a broken sceen many of times did think it would be a problem but) and it wants me to reboot the os and i have tried by using kies and every time i do i get the same recovery code i dont want to jb the phone if i dont have too
rite now the phone says

PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: OfficIal
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warenty Bit: 0
BOOTLOADER AP SWREV: 2
SW REV CHECK FAIL: Fuse 2 > Binary 0

can u help me ?

Kris Carlon
Hi @Ashwin, my advice when it comes to backing up is to do it. Then do it somewhere else. Then do it again.

So I'd backup with Odin, and copy your essential files (photos, sms, contacts etc) to your computer regularly, and then use an app as well like Titanium or Carbon for Android. The more backups the better if you're at all worried about losing your data. Most of these can be set up to occur automatically too and be stored on your external microSD card, your computer when it's connected or the cloud. All are good options. Once burnt, twice careful!

So just backup, reset and then restore. If Kies doesn't prompt you to do it, then you have the app restore option and if that fails too then at least you've got the most important stuff on your computer!
  • Forum posts: 1,338

Apr 10, 2014 6:23:10 PM via Website

Hey @Maureen, yes, you can still do a reset with a broken screen, you just need to know the steps (YouTube can help you with that). The question is why you would want to? It makes more sense to get the phone repaired first no?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Apr 16, 2014 11:24:06 PM via Website

Hello,

I have S3 GT-I9300. My phone is also going thru a boot loop. I have tried clearing the cache but no use. I guess i have to do wipe data from recovery. Is there a way i can backup my data (pictures, videos etc.) before i proceed with the wipe? Its not getting connected with my PC as well.

Apr 22, 2014 10:23:02 PM via Website

the phone is powered up it was having screen failur for about a month be for it went out i will refur this phone as the blue galaxy

Apr 23, 2014 11:34:15 AM via Website

hi my samsung galaxy s3 was turned off/flat. i then plugged it in and turned it back on but now it is saying 'Device Memory Damaged' and then has a reset button, i don't want to click on the reset button because i will lose all my photos as i havnt back them up but it will not let me get out of this.. how can i get out of this without losing everything currently on my phone?

• Forum posts: 4

May 1, 2014 3:05:20 AM via Website

Hi. Kris,
Thank you very much.Hard to believe I. Know, but since Feb we have been flat out travelling here&there and also with family & friends staying and I have had no time to pursue the recovery of my photos. I just came back onto your site to find an advert I saw there in Jan/Feb .It was an ad for a company in. Sydney,Australia who for a fee will check the phone to see if the photos etc can be retrieved .Then for an extra larger fee they can recover them if it's found to be possible. I am so desperate. I am probably prepared to give them a go if we can't do it ourselves ,however I can't find the ad any longer.Any ideas re what that business would have been.
In meantime my son-in-law, who is much more computer savvy than. I and who works as web developer etc , will take a look at what you have written me and see if he can find some software to do the job, as you mentioned.Any ideas of names to search for?
Thank you so much for your help and patience so far. I wish Inhad got back into this weeks/months ago but have been using loan phone and too busy to focus on problem that consumes me when I do

Belinda

May 1, 2014 2:16:11 PM via Website

I am having the problem where it cycles thorugh the samsung start up screen, so i tried the power and volume down to do a restart and the phone just shuts down.

May 10, 2014 3:28:11 PM via Website

Hi there.

Like many others, I found the latest firmware update for my S3 (GT-19300) wasn't that great - more annoying than actually non-functional, but definitely no improvement overall. It seemed a bit glitchy. I thought this might be because it updated itself over the air when my wireless connection wasn't particularly strong, so I thought I'd try re-installing it via a cable connection through Kies.

I backed everything up in Kies and did a factory reset, but it's come back with the latest firmware still installed. Is this because I had 'Back up my data' and 'Automatic restore' checked in 'Backup and reset', and if so, has the firmware been re-installed exactly as was or re-downloaded?

I could try this again, or go for a hard reset instead, but I'm not sure if this would actually fix anything. Almost everything re-installed from backup OK, but I did lose a few settings - currently not getting incoming email, for example, and lost small things such as ringtone choices and wallpaper, as well as at least one paid-for app - so I don't want to do that all again if it won't fix the bugs in the firmware.

It looks like this phone won't be supported for Android updates from now on, so I suppose I need to tweak it to get the best out of the current latest version for as long as possible.

Any advice welcome, thank you.

• Forum posts: 2

May 22, 2014 9:48:18 PM via Website

Hello,
My s3 is not booting. It is stuck on main screen and will not go any further. I am not able to use the phone in any manner or connect to PC. It is charging though. I have tried clearing cache, and removed replaced battery several times. I have been told I can try the factory reset. However, I am hesitating to do that as I don't want to loose my pictures. I unfortunately never used a sd card in the phone so all the pictures are in the internal memory. I never setup data backup anywhere as well. Is there any hope I can save or retrieve my pics if I do the factory reset?
Thanks for your help

• Forum posts: 1,338

May 23, 2014 4:10:10 PM via Website

Hi @Puja, I would suggest plugging your phone into your PC just to see if you can access any files on it, even if it is stuck in a bootloop. I take it you never had any auto-uploading options set for your gallery? I would recommend Google Photos for that, just in case!

Using recovery software will only work if you've deleted something but not overwritten it with something new. As far as I know performing a factory reset will wipe everything to the point it can't be recovered with software (it makes sense, otherwise anyone buying your device after you reset could still get your deleted data).

If you can tell me the last thing you did before the bootloop came in I might be able to help a little better.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

• Forum posts: 2

May 23, 2014 5:34:49 PM via Website

Thanks for the help Kris. When I connect to PC it says unknown device, and is not recognizing it. If I buy and place a new sd card in the phone could that possibly help? Unfortunately I did not setup any auto uploads either. I foolishly kept saving all the pics in the internal memory ever since I got the phone. I never tried to connect to the PC even once while the phone was functional.
I do recall seeing "running low on of memory" messages about a week ago. But the phone stopped working before I could work on moving the pictures out.
Right before the phone stopped working, I tried to change the wallpaper on the main screen. As soon as I attempted that the phone froze. I powered it down, but after that I could never boot it properly. When I turn it on it shows the samsung logo with the blue light flashing, and next it displays a black screen with time, date, and icon for phone, and messages. The screen says "swipe to unlock." However, when I do that nothing happens.
Please advice if there is anything I could possibly do to still save the pictures somehow.
Thanks again

May 27, 2014 6:15:59 PM via Website

Mine does the same. I did a factory setting about three weeks ago, and now it started to switch off and on on its own again, and then it is stuck in this loop. It feels as if the battery gets warm, and then it switches off. is it possible that the battery is the problem? What else can I do?

May 28, 2014 4:03:18 AM via Website

Hi, My phone was lost/stolen two nights ago and I don't have a password to unlock. It may have been in airplane mode when retrieved by someone. Is a factory reset possible when in airplane mode? I'm super anxious about someone having access to all of my information. There has been no recent activity on the phone (e.g. calls, messages, data) so I'm guessing this could be because either: 1) it's dead or 2) it's in airplane mode with or without wifi access. I'm holding off on activating a new phone b/c i'd like to use Lookout Security or Android Device Manager to wipe the data if it's turned on anytime soon.

Thanks in advance!!

— modified on May 28, 2014 11:42:18 AM

Jun 4, 2014 6:15:31 PM via Website

hi admin,
i just updated my firmware to 4.3 jelly bean, and i noticed that the device temperature in not normal it get hot and the android operating system consume most of the battery, i tried many tips but it still get hot and the battery drained fast.
so plz if u have a solution tell me cause i think i will reset the factory settings to get the old firmware which is 4.1.2 jelly bean

• Forum posts: 713

Jun 10, 2014 10:39:24 AM via Website

Ehab Al Badry

hi admin,
i just updated my firmware to 4.3 jelly bean, and i noticed that the device temperature in not normal it get hot and the android operating system consume most of the battery, i tried many tips but it still get hot and the battery drained fast.
so plz if u have a solution tell me cause i think i will reset the factory settings to get the old firmware which is 4.1.2 jelly bean

you can't go back to 4.1.2 from 4.3 this will damage the EFS folder which stores the IMEI number. if you are using s3
to solve this problem go to recovery and clear cache then factory reset
if this doesn't solve the problem use kies to update your phone

Ready To Help You.

• Forum posts: 713

Jun 10, 2014 10:41:20 AM via Website

Safwan

Hello,

I have S3 GT-I9300. My phone is also going thru a boot loop. I have tried clearing the cache but no use. I guess i have to do wipe data from recovery. Is there a way i can backup my data (pictures, videos etc.) before i proceed with the wipe? Its not getting connected with my PC as well.

you cannot backup your apps, games when you are in bootloop. you can make an nandroid backup with CWM but restoring it will result in boot loops

Ready To Help You.