Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S3

• Replies:96
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 25, 2014 3:09:29 AM via Website

Hi Bianca...I'm sure you've resolved this by now, but I'm commenting here just in case someone gets the same error message and panicked big time like I did around July 5th when I was in the U.S. visiting family. I got the same error and the reason I panicked more than another person may have is that the port that we all use to charge the phone was broken. That meant I couldn't connect to backup the data like most solutions offered. So...I did a battery pull. This happened in July and I'm still doing the battery pull thing every since. I have since backed up my photos, contacts etc and I'm just waiting to get a Galaxy Note in the near future. Fyi, that's at least 20 battery pulls since July. ;)

• Forum posts: 3

Sep 23, 2014 9:58:03 AM via Website

Kris Carlon

Performing a Factory Reset on your device is very easy. The difference between a Factory Reset and a Hard Reset is:

Factory Reset
The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings but leaves the contents of your internal SD Card intact.

Hard Reset
Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Clear? Ok, let's proceed with the Factory Reset of a Samsung Galaxy S3 from within the menu settings:

Settings > Personal > Back Up and Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Device > Delete All.

Please remember to back up any data you want to keep first! In the Factory reset screen you also have the option to Backup My Data and Auto Restore. These are good options to tick before you Factory Reset if you're not too sure how to do this on your own.

If you're at all paranoid about your SIM card or SD card contents just take them out before you do the Factory Reset. Attention: if you reset your device to the factory default with SD card encryption setting enabled, the device will not be able to read your encrypted files. Disable this setting before resetting the device.

Alternatively, you can type in *2767*3855# on the key pad and that will do the same thing.

Remember sometimes you don't need to go even this far to solve problems. First of all try just turning your phone off for a while, or removing the battery entirely. Sometimes something as simple as that is enough to clear up some simple problems.

But if you've tried all of these methods and are still having problems, you can try a Hard Reset, the instructions for which are here .

Hi Kris,

I have factory reset my samsung S4 active phone, I did not back up my photo, Is there any other ways for me to retrieve back the media? Inside have my pass away father photo together. Please help!

Nov 2, 2014 8:18:27 AM via Website

Edward I am having the same issue did you ever find a fix??

Nov 19, 2014 1:15:12 PM via Website

Same thing happened to me last night! Did u find how to fix it ? It really sucks please reply asap pls!

Dec 4, 2014 10:19:47 PM via Website

My Samsung Galaxy S3 only goes into the start up screen then goes black like it died. Battery is fully charged. I tried to go into the recovery menu, I get there and scroll down toward the wiping cache option but shuts off before I can get there. Any ideas on what I can do to salvage my phone?

• Forum posts: 12

Dec 31, 2014 12:10:32 PM via Website

Working !
I tried both, working just fine, now my GS 3 is fast, clean and fluent!

Jan 8, 2015 1:03:37 PM via Website

Hello I have this phone samsung galaxy 3 in which was in great excellent condition sold it and after 2 weeks ..seller wanted a return .got the phone back but somehow the wifi is not working when I look at the firmware says 4.4.2 which believe is kit kat? seems to me like he tried to hacked it and out of all the wifi wont work plus who knows which other program he altered. I end up paying him and end up with a phone I can't even use. Please help me. I fallowed the hard reset and still wont fix the problem...:(

Jan 30, 2015 6:39:41 AM via Website

I did a hard reset on my Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 and I'm pretty sure i ticked the box to back up data and autmatic restore but after signing in my Google account i couldn't find the data that used to be in my tab. I wonder why.

Mar 6, 2015 9:59:14 PM via Website

Hello i did the factory reset on my s3 and i read all your same comments on here mine is stuck i guess what u call bootloop its on the tmobile screen flashing blue light on top its stuck there and wont load i what can i do to getbit back to normal? I dont understand what u mean by what you told the others i tried plugging it into my laptop and it doesnt read it 😖

Mar 26, 2015 7:10:38 PM via Website

I was given a phone this morning that belonged to my boyfriends sister. She no longer uses it. Her dad gave it to me but she has a password on it and I have no way of getting in touch with her. I have tried resetting the phone several times but to no prevail! I have tried the three botton method and I cannot try the other methods I found because I do not know her password! Is there any thing else that will work?!

Apr 6, 2015 5:56:19 PM via Website

Hi . My son did the systemrecovery 3 buttoms at once and now its just the green samsungrobot on the screen and it says " Downloading.." in white , and then in green "do not turn off target!! "
For two hours now.
Can you help With a solution?

• Forum posts: 2,726

Apr 6, 2015 6:20:45 PM via Website

That's download-mode. You can restart by pressing power-button a few seconds as long as Samsung-screen appears.

S3 i9300 · Slim 5.1 • LG G3 · stock 6.0

Apr 18, 2015 3:45:15 AM via Website

hello dear admin
i am using S3 too and i want to ask you something...if i reset my phone to factory settings,will be deleted the root too?because i have made the mistake and i have rooted my phone
also if i want to upgrade it,what android should i use?4.4.3?4.4.4?or 5?i am currently using 4.4.2

Jun 15, 2015 8:37:01 AM via Website

I have S3 and it has worked ok for 5 weeks, now it does not start at all

However I can connect to the phone memory via PC and see all the folders

--> is there a way to reset the phone myself when it does not start
or do I have to bring it to the shop for service ?

Yours Petteri

• Forum posts: 7

Sep 10, 2015 5:07:14 AM via Website

no panic, you should know that factory reset does not mean data lost, after it, you just can not see them in your eyes, but the data on youe S3 does really still on, you can restore it with professional tool(Android Recovery for Mac)easily and quickly.
Good luck to you.

Nov 19, 2015 10:27:41 AM via Website

Hi Kris, I just done hard reset for samsung galaxy S3. I reboot smoothly. But when it starting already doing setup there is a box popping out every time I click the NEXT button. Inside the box shows ( Unfortunately, Google Manager has stopped). If you click the OK button in this box another messages will pop out again it will show ( Unfortunately, Google map has stopped). What should I do? Please help me. Thanks.

Dec 1, 2015 4:54:33 PM via Website

Exactly how do you do that? I went to Odin, but it gave me 3 options and I am at work and can't download anything onto my work computer. I just tried a factory reset and I am also stuck on the Samsung logo with Flashing Blue light.