How To Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S4 (Easy Way)

• Replies:48
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered
Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,147

Apr 30, 2014 11:01:16 AM via Website

Biglou Wcchin

Hi, may I know how long it takes to reset the factory setting ? Because I had wait for around 30 minutes.

Well, I think the factory reset should be complete in around 10-15min max 20min. It looks your device got stuck in the middle of factory resetting.:( I would say try waiting a for some more time as some users have reported that it is taking longer than usual and after a while it completes. :) I am hoping this will work out for you .

• Forum posts: 1

May 30, 2014 11:13:30 PM via Website

hello kris.I have some problems with my i9505 s4.In my lockscreen menu the shortcuts menu doesn't appear(simply it isn't there),on the phone it only says made by samsung without mentioning the country where my phone was made(this makes me thing it is broken or something.can you help me please?

Jun 3, 2014 10:21:42 AM via Website

Hello, my phone screen went black for no reason overnight, then intermittently came back on as if someone had painted the screen with a paint brush (badly), and now has gone black again. Orange are sending me a new phone, but I am unable to factory reset my old one, thus all my stuff remains on it. The screen is completely black again now, so I just can't navigate to do a factory reset. Is there any way of doing a factory reset with a blank screen? I've plugged it into my computer and taken off my photos. I haven't been able to save my contacts and I haven't ever backed my phone up, but I'm very concerned about all my data still being on my phone and getting into the wrong hands. Can you assist? many thanks. (Samsung Gal S4)

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,147

Jun 3, 2014 10:28:36 AM via Website

@Eliza as the screen is turning black and ...... then I am pretty much sure that the problem is with the display itself and I am afraid but without seeing the display you just can't factory reset your device. Well do one thing as try going to the orange support and tell them that because of the... you aren't able to factory reset your device and it has still your data inside it ! I am sure they will figure out something for you on this .... :)

• Forum posts: 2

Jul 6, 2014 3:11:49 AM via Website

What is the hard way? I now have TWO S4's (m919) that are on the black screen upon boot.

I've tried EVERYTHING! ugh.

Please help me... Edit: You are not permitted to share your email address

— modified on Jul 7, 2014 6:02:21 AM by moderator

• Forum posts: 678

Jul 6, 2014 4:40:40 AM via Website

SaraNoid

What is the hard way? I now have TWO S4's (m919) that are on the black screen upon boot.

I've tried EVERYTHING! ugh.

Please help me... Edit: You are not permitted to share your email address

looks like you need to reinstall your firmware.
can you post the black screen screenshots ?

— modified on Jul 7, 2014 6:02:31 AM by moderator

Ready To Help You.

• Forum posts: 1,338

Jul 7, 2014 10:37:21 AM via Website

@Eliza, if you're able to connect to your PC and grab files then at least you know your data is not corrupt, which means it's probably a problem with the display drivers, some connection, the graphics card or something.

I'd suggest getting some free backup/recovery software and grabbing as much of your data as you can before returning the phone.

You can factory reset via ADB command if you are comfortable doing that? Let me know and I can walk you through it.

The other alternative is to check out a YouTube video on resetting through recovery and try to follow the steps even if you can't see the screen. It's tricky (and a little silly), but it does work (sometimes!)

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Jul 8, 2014 1:28:38 AM via Website

I downloaded the stock firmware. I can connect through Odin, but it will not install the md5. It says that there is a "mismatch" in the md5 that I have. So then I downloaded the stock firmware from other sites, and same thing. I tried emergency firmware update with Kies 3, and it wants a password from the recovery computer. I don't have a password, as I have only used this computer. Can you advise me at all?

Thank you,
Sara

Jul 8, 2014 4:17:14 AM via Website

SaraNoid

I downloaded the stock firmware. I can connect through Odin, but it will not install the md5. It says that there is a "mismatch" in the md5 that I have. So then I downloaded the stock firmware from other sites, and same thing. I tried emergency firmware update with Kies 3, and it wants a password from the recovery computer. I don't have a password, as I have only used this computer. Can you advise me at all?

Thank you,
Sara

you are flashing the wrong firmware
can you post the carrier network name and country . this will help me in finding the rom
also post a screenshot of the black screen. some time it can cause due to hardware problems(download mode will work even if the screen is damaged)

— modified on Jul 8, 2014 4:17:31 AM

Ready To Help You.

Oct 4, 2014 10:08:20 PM via Website

Hi Kris,

I did a factory reset and even wipe the partition on my samsung s4 and did a reboot. But my phone is just getting a dark screen, the samsung logo wont even come up and turn off itself after 30 seconds. I have read your comment down below that we have to reinstall the rom for my samsung, my question is, how to reinstall it and what tool should I be using? my pc wont even detect my phone now. and im sure that samsung driver is installed in my pc. thanks in advance!

Oct 5, 2014 8:03:30 AM via App

April May Concepcion

Hi Kris,

I did a factory reset and even wipe the partition on my samsung s4 and did a reboot. But my phone is just getting a dark screen, the samsung logo wont even come up and turn off itself after 30 seconds. I have read your comment down below that we have to reinstall the rom for my samsung, my question is, how to reinstall it and what tool should I be using? my pc wont even detect my phone now. and im sure that samsung driver is installed in my pc. thanks in advance!

you can download the firmware from sammobile and flash it with odin(flashing tool)
also try reinstalling the samsung usb drivers or update it.

can you enter download mode by pressing vol down + power button + home key
while the phone is turned off

— modified on Oct 5, 2014 8:04:00 AM

Ready To Help You.

Oct 27, 2014 12:44:02 AM via Website

I did a hard reset and now it is not opening it to anything. It turns on with Samsung logo but after stays on the att globe and goes no further. I wanted to delete my contents and files as I was giving my phone to my son for his use and wanted it clear. I kept the Sim card and SD card installed. What should I have done? What should I do now? Thank you.

— modified on Oct 27, 2014 12:44:43 AM

• Forum posts: 13

Oct 28, 2014 10:36:19 AM via Website

unlocked status has nothing to do with factory reset!

Dec 15, 2014 11:59:31 AM via Website

Kris Carlon

The easiest way to perform a Factory Reset on your Samsung Galaxy S4 is from within the menu settings:

Settings > Accounts > Back Up and Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Device > Delete All/Erase Everything.

Please remember to back up any data you want to keep first! In the Factory reset screen you also have the option to Backup My Data and Auto Restore. These are good options to tick before you Factory Reset if you're not too sure how to do this on your own.

If you're at all paranoid about your SIM card or SD card contents just take them out before you do the Factory Reset. Attention: if you reset your device to the factory default with SD card encryption setting enabled, the device will not be able to read your encrypted files. Disable this setting before resetting the device.

Alternatively, you can type in *2767*3855# on the key pad and that will do the same thing.

Remember sometimes you don't need to go even this far to solve problems. First of all try just turning your phone off for a while, or removing the battery entirely. Sometimes something as simple as that is enough to clear up some simple problems.

But if you've tried all of these methods and are still having problems, you can try a Hard Reset, the instructions for which are here.

Hi,

I have restored the factory settings on my samsung s4.
I have now lost all my sim contacts.
I foolishly have not backed them up (I think).
Is there any way I can restore just my contact list???

Mar 4, 2015 9:36:13 PM via Website

Hey, I have a s4 and the lcd is broken but someone is buying it and going to get it fixed. Is there a way that i can wipe it on my computer? I dont really want someone else having my information once they fix the screen.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 18

Mar 5, 2015 3:13:46 AM via Website

I guess you can get the contacts back if they are not overwritten by new content.
admin edit: External links are forbidden

— modified on Mar 6, 2015 7:57:28 AM by moderator

Mar 28, 2015 8:43:11 AM via Website

Hi, Will a factory reset restore my galaxy s4 to kitkat? I accidently updated to lollipop and don't like it, I want kitkat back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Forum posts: 7

May 5, 2015 7:09:54 AM via Website

I have same problem. But thanks for sharing.

Jul 28, 2015 4:12:14 PM via Website

Hi Kris, I also have an S4mini and it has started to fail. It blocks itself all the time, turns the screen on and off and it ends with turning itself off.. What can I do to make this stop? Battery is running just fine.

I would really appreciate an answer