Android Device Manager - have you tried it so far?

• Replies:6
Edwin Kee
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 12, 2013, 7:34:07 AM via Website

Howdy folks, have you read all about the Android Device Manager? Do share with us your thoughts as to how it has helped you so far.

Calvin Brod
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 12, 2013, 12:02:54 PM via Website

Google launched Android Device Manager back in August, but it curiously made the tool web-only, eschewing a native Android app and causing a lot of confusion in doing so. The Android Device Manager is now in the Play Store, and does most of the things that Apple’s Find My iPhone service does, but for Android gadgets instead of iOS-powered devices.

— modified on Dec 13, 2013, 11:04:51 AM by moderator

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Dec 12, 2013, 2:55:43 PM via Website

Since I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, I don't really need this because Samsung has its own tracker called Find my Mobile which will locate my mobile by displaying its movement on a map, locking my phone remotely and making it ring for 1 minute, even if the phone was set for silent or vibrate. Super useful!!

jonshon
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 13, 2013, 6:29:27 AM via Website

i like play ios games

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 13, 2013, 11:07:36 AM via Website

A reviewer in the Play Store made a very good point yesterday though: there really needs to be a secondary layer of protection for the app. Because if someone steals your phone with ADM installed, then they have full control over locking and wiping all your other Android devices. So sure, the app makes it easier to track, lock or wipe a stolen device, but in its current form it also makes it simpler for the thief to screw up the rest of your Android arsenal - imagine having your phone stolen only to find that your other phones and tablets have all been remotely wiped by the thief! For this reason alone I'm waiting to activate it on my smartphone until that feature is implemented.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting