Samsung Galaxy Note 2 — removal of annoying popup installers

• Replies:9
adii
  • Forum posts: 7

Sep 11, 2013, 8:42:10 PM via App

really need a solution for unnecessary ad popup s and the most annoying installer popups of software.
Does anyone has a good solution for this ?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Sep 12, 2013, 12:00:22 PM via Website

Easiest thing to do for blocking ads is download an ad blocker app, either paid or free, like: AndGuard Pro, AdBlocker and AdAway. Lookout gives you some good security options and also has an Ad Network Detector app that you can use to check which apps are causing all the ad popups. If you have Android 4.1+ you can just long-press the notification in the Notifications Bar and it will tell you where the notification came from. As for software installer popups, you should be able to set these notifications to not appear from within the settings, depending on your version of Android and manufacturer.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

adii

Sep 13, 2013, 6:07:40 PM via App

hey thanks for the help, but non of the solutions adaway etc u mentioned are free and most are not available on playstore. I am using note 2 with 4.1.2 version of android. also would be great if u could help me with solution for stopping this installers from popuing up every now n then.

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Sep 14, 2013, 12:31:55 AM via Website

I have the same version of Android in my Note. Just out of curiosity, what app is this occuring in? Does it occur anywhere else? Does this occur right after start up or sporadically? This may determine wether this is a pop up or if this is actually something being "pushed in". Need a little more info.

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

adii

Sep 14, 2013, 9:16:04 PM via App

most of the time it is 2 softwares Advanced task killer and some game called royal classic. which keeps n poping anytime for installation.

Amy R.

Sep 15, 2013, 3:25:12 AM via Website

Hello adii, ads can become real annoying in certain free apps. If you don't like ads in your apps, be extremely careful what to install and ALWAYS read the permissions before you accept the installation of anything. In the past, I've had a cache cleaner that would suck up more data then my web browser and a task killer that would spend more time asking me if I wanted to play candy crush rather then being a task killer. If the app your installing has no reason to go on the internet and has a permission like: "Allowing to create sockets out to the internet but does not need the sockets to run". There's a good chance it does this to collect ads. Some apps of this nature also have the ability to communicate with one another and jump from one app to the other. In that sence they act much like a virus would. Keep this in mind.

You probably won't like the solution I'm about to suggest. Your best bet is to uninstall the 2 apps that are causing the problem and replace them with something less annoying. Not all free apps have ads. Zoner Antivirus for Tablets is a free Playstore app and has a pretty decent task killer and doesn't push ads at you. It also detects adware from other apps you're about to install. I hate ads, so I love this program. Free games can be one of the worst when it comes to ad pushing. F-Droid.org has a good allotment of gaming and other apps. They're all free, no ads, and very low permissions. I use them all the time with no problems at all. If you use F-Droid, make sure your settings are set to allow downloads from unknown sources.

Hope this helps

— modified on Sep 15, 2013, 3:32:57 AM

adii

Sep 15, 2013, 9:17:33 PM via App

I have already deleted the software. its creating problems only after that.

Amy R.

Sep 15, 2013, 10:24:25 PM via Website

Eek, where is it happening now? Remember some adware acts identical to a virus and spreads to other apps. There's probably a ghost file of those unistalled apps still sitting in your Android files. I've gone through a simular thing in the past.

Check your Android files and adjust the settings to detect hidden files. First, check your sd0 and ext to ensure there's no lingering file of those programs. Check your andoid folder as well. There was probably a nasty little subroutine in those particular programs. If anyting, you should definitely install that anti virus app I suggested earier and scan your entire system.

Let me know how it goes.

Amy R.

Sep 16, 2013, 1:28:02 AM via Website

Addition To Last Post: if you locate the ghost files of the last apps you believed was the cause of the problems (usually have the same name as the app itself), delete the entire file. There's a better chance it would be located in the sd0 rather than the Android folder itself. If it is in the Android folder, it would be in the selection "data". If it is in extSd, it would be in "Download".

If you end up getting notification (air push) ads, you're best off to do as Kris suggested earier and long-press the notification.

This is why it is SO IMPORTANT be careful what you install (especially free apps) and it is SO IMPORTANT to have an Anti Virus program in your device.............

jakub brekk
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 10, 2015, 4:16:27 PM via Website

would love to kill ads by DNS Unlocker. shall I try the solution suggetsted here? do they work for andriod OS. Thanks !!!