IMAP & POP email protocols. Do they differ in battery usage?

• Replies:0
Dimitris P.
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 10, 2013, 8:35:28 PM via App

For referece I use a generic tablet made by Intenso. It is operated by Android 4.0.4 ICS. It doesn't have Play store installed, just AndroidPIT. The only application I've installed Izac Mozilla firefox using the apk from their FTP website.

I'm checking 3 email accounts, all using the IMAP protocol, Two google's and one outlook's. I've observed that an imap configuration downloads the contents of every message during synchronization. Note that I've specified not to download attachments even when a wireless network is used. I've observed that the battery usage really increases when I bring the email client on the foreground. Add that the accounts are checked on 15, 30 and 60 minutes setting.

I've checked experimentally that a POP configuration downloads the content of the message when I tap on it. I've deduced that from the fact that the rotating indicator shows up after tapping.

Could my assertion be true? And finally, does the email client stores any message in the device? I've observed that when I tap on search it checks on server, so I've assumed that no message is stored inside the device.