Samsung's botched Android 4.3 update fiasco - share your problems, rants, feelings

• Replies:147
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 20, 2013 11:26:50 PM via Website

I wish I had the problems you list above. I ran an update from 4.1.2 today and my phone is now stuck on the glowing Samsung logo. So far I have tried:
- Android System Recovery (ASR) > wipe cache partition > reboot
- Emergency firmware recovery in Kies, didn't even recognise device
- Firmware upgrade and initialisation in Kies - recognised phone, downloaded firmware but then just stopped
- Downloaded firmware from SamMobile, put on microSD card, from ASR used "apply update from external storage" and selected BOOTLOADER file, but error says E:signature verification failed.

I've written to Samsung and have so far heard nothing. I absolutely loved my S3, now having massive doubts about Samsung, I still have a year to run on my contract and I have a bricked phone - HELP!
  • Forum posts: 8

Dec 22, 2013 7:41:43 PM via Website

I just updated to the 4.3 os yesterday and hate it! Battery life is terrible!!!!!!!! I see no improvements! And now I can't use my wifi hotspot I bought on the play store!!!!! Which is the worst part. I am on Verizon, and apparently they figured out the loop hole and closed it! I want to revert back to 4.1.2, but I can't completely understand the process. Wish it was easier. And from what I can figure out, there isn't any firmware for that in the US yet. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it is so frustrating!

Dec 23, 2013 4:50:17 AM via Website

I have had the update for 2 days on my sprint carrier. Overall I like the idea that they were trying to get accross. I do notice my phone a tad bit slower instead of faster. Also, I have skydrive on my phone and for some reason it keeps on showing each file download report every few seconds on my phone. I hit clear on the notification section, and as soon as it clears it out, it displays it all over again, and we are talking about 60 + notification, which impedes me to really see the new updates on the notification bar and I have to browse through all skydrive and find out which ones are new and which ones aren't, pretty uncomfortable. Other than that, it is okey.

Dec 24, 2013 2:05:26 AM via Website

Appalling battery life, even when charging : no
Screen blackouts : constantly.
Voice recognition broken : working poorly
Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting : yes
Wi-Fi guest network login problems : no
Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks : no
Text messaging contact issues : no
Verizon car charger does not work : n/a
Mobile data icon missing : no
Music player self-launching : no
Bluetooth audio cutting out : rarely
Slower performance : yes
Widget problems, Air View not working : no
Screen rotation broken : randomly and annoyingly yes

Bought phone new on black friday. I baby it. Never dropped bumped drained battery, it's my sweety. I didn't notice any improvements with 4.3 but I did notice a few unimprovements. Screen rotate issue is constant. Screen blackout issue is constant, when using Web browser (stock or chrome same). Have to swipe screen up or down to get it back. I still love you tho my little notey poo

— modified on Dec 24, 2013 2:06:19 AM

Dec 25, 2013 3:28:46 AM via Website

The mobile data icon is a must and now is missing. Text messaging contacts messed up. Help me undo it.

Dec 27, 2013 4:40:21 PM via Website

the new update has taken away my keyboard and has replaced it with a qwerty. why take away our choice. i have problems with my fingers and find a qwerty too small

Dec 27, 2013 8:38:17 PM via App

I have a note 2 on sprint and updated to 4.3 and this is what happens now.
voice recognition works sometimes other times nobody can understand a word I say.
The service bars go up and down from full service to no service and I don't even have to move (I am on a sprint airrave).
The number 1 works when it wants to and most of the time it doesn't.

Dec 29, 2013 12:57:16 AM via Website

Well I contacted Verizon, and of course they can't help me. Then I contacted Samsung, and I can't go back to 4.1.2 according to them. I am thinking of going to the Verizon stores and seeing if they have a phone that hasn't been updated yet. I sure hope they do.

Jan 1, 2014 12:50:01 AM via Website

I have received 4.3 onto my Galaxy S3 (vodafone uk) but am reluctant to install it even if it is the new variant with 'only a few minor issues', until i hear from lots of users who have installed it without ANY problems. In particular I am worried in case it stops working with my SureSignal box which gives me a phone signal using my wifi, which would render my phone virtually useless.
Can I get rid of the software download, or increase the time between reminder prompts to install (currently max 3 hours)? i am quite happy to stay with 4.1.2 for the moment.
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 1, 2014 2:00:37 PM via App

cant share any issues cause here in south africa they are still to give us the freaking 4.3 update

Jan 1, 2014 6:14:19 PM via Website

And we get a new issue, lol. Every time I start up my phone, I have to reset the wallpaper. This just keeps getting better and better, lol.

Jan 2, 2014 1:53:21 PM via Website

Hi, i just updated my galaxy note 2 from 4.1.2 to 4.3
After updated and reboot, however my mobile data signal didn't show off and i can only connect using WIFI
Could some one help me?

Thanks
Best regards

Jan 9, 2014 7:26:35 PM via Website

I get the following issues but it only occurred 2 weeks after the upgrade

1. Poor battery life
2. Phone is extremely hot especially when I try to connect to Wifi
3. Wifi is constantly disconnecting and cannot reconnect unless I restart the handset and then it only stays connected for 5 minutes

— modified on Jan 9, 2014 7:27:16 PM

• Forum posts: 2

Jan 12, 2014 7:06:47 PM via Website

Hi -- my phone automatically downloaded 4.3, but I keep postponing installing it due to the documented problems. I have to check a box every day to postpone for another day and am worried that eventually it will install automatically. Is there a way to delete it so it doesn't ever install? Thanks!
  • Forum posts: 746

Jan 12, 2014 10:27:59 PM via Website

jppc
Hi -- my phone automatically downloaded 4.3, but I keep postponing installing it due to the documented problems. I have to check a box every day to postpone for another day and am worried that eventually it will install automatically. Is there a way to delete it so it doesn't ever install? Thanks!

At system settings, about phone, update one of the menu options should be how often to check for updates, i.e. daily, weekly, or manual (I'm presuming this, I've never really used samsung devices before). If not, and you're rooted, you can use an app like titanium backup to freeze the firmware check app(it's called FWUpgrade 1.x.x) and that'll do the trick.

Sinkster

• Forum posts: 2

Jan 12, 2014 10:43:50 PM via Website

Thanks, sinkster, but I don't have that option. When I go to about phone, software update, there's a box that says "Status Update postponed" and an option to "install deferred SW", but I can't click on anything to change it. My phone is not rooted and I don't know enough about the technology to attempt that. I'm a total novice with this stuff, but learned the hard way to google info on updates before installing them.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Jan 13, 2014 8:11:56 PM via App

hi kris. among many, m also a victim of 4.3 update disaster. m nt gonna pen dwn my 4.3 issues coz its already stated by all in this thread. m jus interested in knowing if u or any1else has any new update regarding the issue? as to when we will be getting a fixed OTA update for 4.3 so that I can once again start loving my note 2. apparently m in a dilemma to revert back to 4.1.2 or wait for a fix. :(

Jan 15, 2014 8:10:35 AM via Website

I am having trouble with wifi. It connects but internet is not working properly. It disconnects after every 5 minutes. Also my battery is also getting down very fast as compared to older version.

Jan 15, 2014 3:00:13 PM via App

its lyk an affliction all around the world. people are suffering n whining . Samsung u better get us a fix ryt away! life is a misery with dis update! HELP ! SOS!