Samsung's botched Android 4.3 update fiasco - share your problems, rants, feelings

• Replies:147
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 12, 2014 10:32:10 AM via Website

Is anyone else experiencing a loss of the device's ability to remember words, sentences and even paragraphs? Ever since I got 4.3 my S3 doesn't have all my words, phrases and paragraphs it use to recall without any problem. I run a B&B and answer inquiries with the same basic messages. I use to be able to just type the first word of a paragraph and it would feed me the rest, so each word was just one touch. Now, it can't even remember my 3 letter name. Any ideas on a fix?
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 16, 2014 10:00:24 PM via Website

I've just updated my GS3 to 4.3 and I have these problems I've noticed so far:
1- the music player wont work
every time I start it they say unfortunately music has stopped
2- the weather widget does not work
3- every time i shut down the phone the screen freeze for about 3 minuets and then it's shut
4- every time i start the phone the sumsung sign does not appear and the screen remain black also for about 3 minuets and then the phone is started

don't know what to do.
  • Forum posts: 746

Feb 16, 2014 11:49:15 PM via App

Bob Whitley
Is anyone else experiencing a loss of the device's ability to remember words, sentences and even paragraphs? Ever since I got 4.3 my S3 doesn't have all my words, phrases and paragraphs it use to recall without any problem. I run a B&B and answer inquiries with the same basic messages. I use to be able to just type the first word of a paragraph and it would feed me the rest, so each word was just one touch. Now, it can't even remember my 3 letter name. Any ideas on a fix?

With a system update the input cache may be erased, so your saved words or phrases could be lost. You'll probably need to enter them again, to be honest. For future reference, there are a few apps that can save and restore your personal dictionary across updates and even devices.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 18, 2014 9:25:58 PM via Website

OMG!! I have had all of the problems mentioned on this blog and I just discovered a new one... I couldn't figure out why my phone will stop charging sometimes even though it's plugged in. I have it on the charger now and when I received a text message the "device plugged in" alert sound started going off repeatedly as if I were unplugging it and plugging it in repeatedly. I looked at the display to try to see what was going on and it showed that the device was no longer charging. So weird!!

Feb 20, 2014 12:57:12 PM via Website

My update went through about 6 weeks ago. I am a chauffeur and there is nothing worse in being stuck on the road with a dead phone that WILL NOT charge. I just spent the past 20 hours confirming backup and migration of 5000+ contacts plus texts and phone logs to perform a factory reset at AT&T suggested. I did the factory reset and hard reset and then went into Odin to root the phone. After fighting with Knox to verify the root and complaining to the person on chat at Samsung, I finally was able to find an alternate version of SuperSU which actually worked. The guy at Samsung told me it was my phone and I needed to send it in for service. I said that I didn't think it was my phone because the problems started IMMEDIATELY upon completion of the forced upgrade. It isn't so much the fact that it doesn't charge half the time but it's even worse that it drains the battery so quickly. I can go through a 50% charge of a battery in about 5 hours WITHOUT even using the phone. I will NEVER buy another Samsung product.
Deactivated Account

Feb 20, 2014 3:09:03 PM via Website

Agree Distinctivelimo! I plug my phone in expecting it to charge and sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. AT&T keeps telling me that it's my phone going bad even though it worked great until the day of the upgrade. They're such a rip-off! They had the b@ll$ to make me sign a waiver that if anything happened to my phone when they installed the patch (which didn't fix everything), that they didn't have to replace or repair the phone. WTF??? They pushed the stupid update, fragged a lot of the data on my phone because Kies doesn't reliably back-up everything (app data, configurations, etc) and because I am not paying for extended warrantee they're not liable for something that THEY did? I'm changing phone service AND smartphone brands as soon as I can, but I'm praying to the God of all things holy that this POS doesn't crash before the 8 months is up. What crap.
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 22, 2014 7:47:32 AM via App

hi kris, a suggestion required.

I happened to be a victim of the great android 4.3 update debacle and manged to overcome the ordeal by following the useful information u happily shared with us. My main issue (I.e heavy battery drainage) got resolved and m apparently very much satisfied. Until recently, i had received an other OTA update sized 21MB. Now the BIG question is, should I go for this update or NOT ?? wats ur call kris ? or should I wait for kitkat ? plz give ur valuable advice.

• Forum posts: 3

Mar 5, 2014 2:31:57 PM via Website

I have MetroPCS and Galaxy S3. This is what I see.

Appalling battery life, even when charging
Voice recognition broken
Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting
Bluetooth audio cutting out
Slower performance

When is Kitkat available???

Mar 5, 2014 10:41:20 PM via Website

I have this problem for a month now (after it updated to 4.3) on my Galaxy S3... Some of my contacts from the Device list just disappear. If I'm lucky I can find them in the SIM or in my Google account (thank god I finally decide to sync after the 3rd time it happend, not a fan of syncing thou) and bring them back to the device list. So i suggest it happens when I connect my phone to PC (I charge it this way, cause it's easier) Since 4.3 there's no Kies app on the phone, just Kies 3 for the PC which I DONT use, just connect it like a flash memory. So what can I do, besides full reset?

Mar 7, 2014 1:11:07 PM via Website

Well, I figured it out. It's not the anroid, it's Viber. I didn't realize it till yesterday. In Viber I see my contacts double. Some of them are even triple. So when I open Viber I always delete the duplicate contacts - manually. Then after a while I get the missing contacts from the phone. After that I get them back to the phone, I again open Viber and see the duplicate contacts and I again delete them cause it's annoying! I told my friends with android phones and they tried the same - the result was also the same... So don't delete the duplicate numbers from Viber, cause it'll delete them from your phone!

Mar 12, 2014 1:41:04 PM via Website

Colin Buckland
Last week I installed Android 4.3 on my Galaxy S3 in Australia. I have some of the problems discussed but the main ones are:
1) battery burn -- I have installed Batter Doctor to fix. Too early to see results but hopeful;
2) Cannot access contacts or make calls (get a blank screen even on pressing key pad). Get a message "Contact list is being updated" but it never finishes????? I wonder if this is the main reason for the heavy battery burn?

The last problem is major. I know my contacts or at least Favorites are still in the phone as sometimes I can see them. But while it says the contact list is being updated I cannot make calls, get favorites, or contacts. What is going on? Does someone have a fix for this, it is very frustrating.

PLease help.

Hi Colin, same thing happens to my contacts since the "upgrade". I'm also in Australia. Have you since been able to find a fix? I'd hate to have to make an emergency phone call with this problem!

Same black screen happens to my Facebook app. Cannot press anything whilst it is frozen except to turn off the screen.

Other issues with the upgrade are:

- notifications for messages sometimes shows as unread even though I've read them...until the next message comes through.
- phone heats up when it has to "think" a lot
- delayed typing
- widget for my task list is gone
- wifi constantly disconnects and requires sign-in

Hope we get the patch in Australia soon!

Mar 12, 2014 2:34:22 PM via App

I didn't get any problem with the 4.3 uldate. However I like much more the 4.4 update than the 4.3... My S4 now have the Android that deserves to it...

Mar 15, 2014 11:30:39 PM via Website

my problem is with accessibility and switching between language in the keyboard , if i turned on any app in the accessibility , the feature of switching language in the space bar is stop working. don't know what to do... any help

Mar 18, 2014 7:44:03 AM via Website

So far, worsened battery life, voice control of the camera no longer available, slow running, sd card no longer available in gallery for moving photos or viewing.
Have no faith that patches will be released.
Going to buy lemon colored case to house my new lemon.
Am in NZ.

— modified on Mar 18, 2014 7:45:41 AM

Mar 20, 2014 1:47:56 PM via Website

I have Samsung s 3 software 4.2.2 i need this to downgrade because now my phone was going to held too much i want to downgrade with original Samsung S 3 software. Please provide me a detail how can i do this

I am waiting for your ans

Mar 20, 2014 4:45:04 PM via Website

The list of issues I have been having with the new Android 4.3 update seem to be endless. I wish I could roll back to the previous version, but I am to scared, something else might just go wrong. All other issues one can live with but this particular issue, I do not know how to over come. Definitely need a 32 GB SC card, but cannot use one.

A few days after the update I kept getting a message "SD CARD UNEXPECTEDLY REMOVED" and the battery started draining out very fast. I was suggested by the Samsung service centre that the battery life has finished so I should change it. I bought a brand new battery but the problem persisted the Samsung service centre was of no help they made me change the cable, the charger.... basically they made me change everything one by one. the problem persisted. Finally after a lot of research on the internet I figured the reason for the message and the battery drain.

The update had corrupted a few files on the 32 GB Micro SD Card and the OS was constantly hunting for these corrupted files hence the battery was being drained at a super sonic speed. The minute I removed the SD Card the battery stopped draining, Now the SD Card has also gotten corrupted. So now I have lost the SD Card also and I don't know if I can put a new SD card, am scared that too might get corrupted....... HELP......

Other problems :

- Phone heating up
- randomly showing 2 missed calls or 3 wen actually there is only 1 missed call
- Charging is a big hassle sometimes it charges within 2-3 hours and sometimes it takes 8-9 hours
- Lock Screen Swipe is a problem too

— modified on Mar 20, 2014 4:53:58 PM

Mar 31, 2014 5:03:10 AM via Website

Hi @Bob Whitley
I have the exact same problem! It's very frustrating isn't it!
My device used to remember a whole previously typed text message and as you said, it now doesn't even
remember my name! Just wondering if you had come across a way to fix this!
Thanks a million!! :-D

— modified on Mar 31, 2014 5:05:16 AM

Apr 2, 2014 6:07:35 PM via Website

Kris, what about syncing with Outlook, after the 4.3 update, I have not been able to sync with Outlook. The syncing goes through the whole process and show me the adds and the deletes but nothing is updated on the phone. I have also used Kies but no luck. If you know of a way around, I will be glad to hear about it. Shame on Samsung to put an update out that screwed up a lot of people.
  • Forum posts: 5

Apr 3, 2014 12:56:42 AM via Website

Has anyone heard that 4.3 is not compatible with task managers? I had an awesome app and my phone wouldn't start and tech support claimed Samsung told them this and the phone didn't need a task manager.

Anyone heard this or noticed a problem clashing with task manager?

Apr 8, 2014 11:11:05 AM via Website

How to uninstall android 4.3 for note2