Android 4.4.1 and 4.4.2: How good was Google's rapid response to Nexus 5 complaints?

• Replies:21
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 6, 2013, 10:38:18 AM via Website

The Nexus 5 has only been out for five weeks but two of the biggest complaints leveled at the device on launch were it's less than impressive camera (even if it was way better than the previous nexus 4 camera) and a problematic speaker.

With the Android 4.4.1 update, which began appearing on Nexus 5, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 LTE models overnight, these issues have been fixed - most notably on the Nexus 5. And while they may not make things perfect, they are a lot better than they were and are a nice example of how quickly and smoothly things can be dealt with when a company listens to their customers. The Nexus 5 just got a whole lot better folks.

And now, just a few days later, Android 4.4.2 has been pushed out to the whole Nexus family, with even more Nexus 5-specific improvements for the camera

— modified on Dec 10, 2013, 10:17:27 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

HowDoYouAndroid.com
  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 9, 2013, 2:46:26 PM via Website

That's kinda cool :)

HowDoYouAndroid.com

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Dec 9, 2013, 5:23:27 PM via Website

Good news for me. I've literally just ordered my Nexus 5 and have been scouring various sites/forums(fora?) for any issues or concerns I should be aware of.

Sinkster

Kris Carlon

Dec 9, 2013, 5:44:19 PM via Website

Hey @Sinkster, I haven't pushed the update to my freshly painted Nexus 5 yet, as the first thing I did when I unboxed it was flash CM 11 on it, and I have to say it's great. I am keen to see the camera enhancements first hand though, especially after I wasn't super impressed in my review. Nico has had the 4.4.1 update for a couple of days now and he said he's noticed nothing bad so far.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Dec 9, 2013, 5:53:05 PM via Website

Yeah, the reports from xda are that 4.4.1 greatly improves the speaker and camera performance. As usual, I'll say I'm going to keep it stock. That'll last about 3 hours then I'll be a rom a day. Nothing new...

Sinkster

HendrikJB
  • Forum posts: 7

Dec 9, 2013, 7:22:25 PM via Website

Maybe Samsung can learn something from Google`s response to complaints. Maybe it is too late for Samsung anyway. BB also did not think that they could go down.

Akshay Jain
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 10, 2013, 11:04:15 AM via Website

@ Kris Carlon
Greeting's!!!
I tried to communicate via message but wasn't able to reach you, this is off the topic:
Can you help me?
You know I'm kinda big fan of Pokemon, so definitely all I want to know is there a possibility to get it on Samsung Galaxy S2, I've heard that there is no such 3DS emulator yet, but I still wanted to know bout it from you're side..
Please help,
Thanks for you're attention..

— modified on Dec 10, 2013, 11:04:53 AM

Jan Adriaan Pelser

Dec 10, 2013, 7:08:22 PM via Website

Hi guys, sorry I am new to all this.
Where can I download stock Android 4.4 for Samsung Tab 2 10.1. Do I need extra drivers for it to be installed.

Kris Carlon

Dec 10, 2013, 11:35:56 PM via Website

Hey @Jan, there's no Android 4.4 for the Tab series yet and there may not be one the update at all. The Tab 2 is now a year and a half old, and Samsung are not particularly well known for providing updates for devices that aren't considered flagships, especially tablets. The rollout for S4, Note 3 etc will be in January next year, with the Note 2 and S3 to follow sometime between March and April, if a leaked update roadmap document is to be believed. Google want KitKat going out to as many older devices as possible, so there could still be a push, but it wouldn't be until way into 2014. Your other options are to install a third party update yourself (a custom ROM like CyanogenMod 10.2)

plck74
  • Forum posts: 50

Dec 11, 2013, 3:00:24 PM via App

i am very satisfy with google respond. 1st week i get 4.4. but not very good. then ppl start bashing 4.4. 2 weeks late 4.4.1 and still get bash by ppl. few days later 4.4.2...well still waiting ppl to bash. for my nexus 7 2012 - i found out maybe it is ok..

— modified on Dec 11, 2013, 3:01:20 PM

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jan 28, 2014, 8:25:40 AM via Website

For me KitKat has become dreams, Some say we are going to get the update but again some says no are not going to get an update, I would like to have a break with KitKat update and i know i can do that by rooting but I wan't to be in the shade of Samsung warranty ..... :( Bad decision of choosing the Sammu Tab2. Next time i would rather go for the Google Nexus than some crap Samsung (It's like Samsung is adherent towards updating older devices or i guess they might be busy in sorting out how to make more money out of it :angry:

— modified on Jan 28, 2014, 8:25:56 AM

vaughan
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 28, 2014, 4:03:49 PM via App

HendrikJB
Maybe Samsung can learn something from Google`s response to complaints. Maybe it is too late for Samsung anyway. BB also did not think that they could go down.
samsung wont learn shit. they honestly dont care, I have tried on numerous occations so get help with the S3 and they either just ignore you or a generic reply comes back to you. I will never own a samsung phone ever again.

Mary Mod
  • Forum posts: 432

Jan 28, 2014, 5:25:25 PM via Website

I got the Nexus 5 about 3 weeks ago and been having some battery issues. I emailed Google and they were very helpful and agreed with me that it looks like I have a battery defect. They helped me order a replacement phone on Friday & I will receive it tomorrow! I am very happy with their customer service ... so far ;)

Lalit
  • Admin

Jan 29, 2014, 6:04:59 AM via Website

Mary Mod
I got the Nexus 5 about 3 weeks ago and been having some battery issues. I emailed Google and they were very helpful and agreed with me that it looks like I have a battery defect. They helped me order a replacement phone on Friday & I will receive it tomorrow! I am very happy with their customer service ... so far ;)

It means Google service keeps getting better and better !! I will also look forward in buying the Google products now ....

s2law

Feb 3, 2014, 1:43:30 PM via Website

4.4.2 has several issues....

Camera won't focus
Video is too dark
Calls drop when connected to wifi

etc etc

4.4.3 is needed badly!

Lalit
  • Admin

Feb 4, 2014, 5:49:53 AM via Website

Jan Adriaan Pelser
Hi guys, sorry I am new to all this.
Where can I download stock Android 4.4 for Samsung Tab 2 10.1. Do I need extra drivers for it to be installed.

@Jan like @kris said there is nor stock Android 4.4 for tab2 users but i would rather say you that you should keep your finger's crossed as some sources suggest that samsung is considering tab2 users to get updated to the KitKat but again you have to wait a bit longer than others because samsung is on updating the high end devices first and if you still can't wait root your device and flash CynogenMod Nightly 11 .... It is one of the best and less laggy version of Android !!

Deactivated Account

Feb 11, 2014, 10:55:18 PM via Website

I'm using cm for suite soms time now, to my satisfaction. I update almost every nightly built. Today i lost soms apps, but mostly i got no problems. :grin::)

You'll be amazed by the functionality of kitkat , i can't wait until the version is stable.

Notice cm doesn't support ART.

Kris Carlon

Feb 14, 2014, 6:31:56 PM via Website

Hi @Wim, did you know that CM 11 is out for the Tab 2 7.0? My colleague Loie just wrote about it a couple of days ago: https://www.nextpit.com/install-android-4-4-galaxy-tab-2-7-0

And I have CM 11 on my Nexus 5 and it supports ART. Is it not supported in Nightlies?

Ben Roveno
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 28, 2014, 12:46:12 PM via Website

I've actually already seen on YouTube the difference between Android 4.4.1 and 4.4.2, mostly the improvements take place on the camera sector. The camera of Nexus 5, after the update, can take much faster photo. There is also some animation going on when the photo is being rendered, if you take HDR photos. I heard that with this update, the photo and camera quality of Nexus 5 can surpass iPhone 5S, although i've already seen Nexus 5 surpass iPhone 5 on the photo and video quality even before the update.

Kris Carlon

Apr 3, 2014, 6:30:39 PM via Website

Hey @Ben, I have to agree that the Nexus 5's camera performance is much better after the update, but I'm still bothered by the slow focus time. Part of that is the OIS that keeps the sensor open longer when shooting HDR but I kind of miss the speed of rapid point and shoot. I'm not sure if the iPhone does it faster though.

Kavin William
  • Forum posts: 10

Jun 19, 2014, 10:15:35 AM via Website

Hello Kris, thanks for the update news. I think latest version should be much fester.

Kris Carlon

Jun 19, 2014, 10:51:57 AM via Website

Faster... maybe. But have you read about all the problems with Android 4.4.3 for Nexus devices? It seems we just can't catch a break lately (although Moto seems to have avoided the bugs)