Which Device can be unlocked for any GSM card?

• Replies:3
Ken K
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 18, 2013, 7:49:00 PM via Website

Hello,

I am considering a new phone to replace my unlocked iPhone. I was able to unlock my iPhone myself
and wanted to know if the same can be done to some of the Android operating system phones.

I travel outside the Country and need to be able to swap GSM sim cards as needed.

Any help would appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Dec 18, 2013, 10:34:48 PM via Website

Hi @Ken, as long as your phone isn't SIM locked by your carrier you can switch SIMs whenever you like, assuming you have the sufficient radios/network bandwidth for the region you're going to. Even if your phone is SIM-locked you can usually rewrite the IMEI number so you can install any SIM card you want when traveling. Some Samsung devices like the Galaxy Note 3 have region locking on them, but that is easy enough to get around (just read up on it before you start the device for the first time).

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Ken K
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 19, 2013, 2:06:55 PM via Website

I don't know enough about Android phones to answer that question. I am familiar with other phones. Just about 100% of the time
any phone you get at a discount from a carrier, for example AT&T or T-Mobile the phone will be locked to that SIM only.
It requires an unlock code from either the carrier or in the case of the iPhone if it is an older phone they will unlock it on line for free.
If a phone is purchased without discount it will be unlocked for any GSM sim.

I am just assuming if you get a Android phone from AT&T it will be locked to that carrier.

My question is what phones are known to be able to be unlocked by available software or by 3rd party services.

Ken

ageeli
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 5, 2014, 6:47:15 AM via App

Ken K

I don't know enough about Android phones to answer that question. I am familiar with other phones. Just about 100% of the time
any phone you get at a discount from a carrier, for example AT&T or T-Mobile the phone will be locked to that SIM only.
It requires an unlock code from either the carrier or in the case of the iPhone if it is an older phone they will unlock it on line for free.
If a phone is purchased without discount it will be unlocked for any GSM sim.

I am just assuming if you get a Android phone from AT&T it will be locked to that carrier.

My question is what phones are known to be able to be unlocked by available software or by 3rd party services.

Ken