Question about RAM

• Replies:12
AJ STA ANA
  • Forum posts: 54

Dec 23, 2013, 1:14:26 PM via Website

My phone has 2gb of ram only 1.7gb usable where did the 300 mb ram go?,also something is using up my RAM (even with all my apps closed!) what is the cause of this?

damponting44

Moparman1303
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 31, 2013, 8:12:55 PM via Website

I am in same boat. Got the G2 and it has 2 gig of ram. Phone shows 1.16gb being used and around 663mb free. How can i get that down a bit?

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jan 1, 2014, 3:04:21 PM via App

Too much free ram is pointless, to be fair. The 300mb will be the android system which won't show up on any memory management app as it's required for the phone to work, plus you also have cached ram for recent apps alongside ram used by running apps. If you force your phone to free up too much ram then it will be constantly closing/reopening apps which shows down the system and causes battery drain. Any phone with 1gb ram or over should run smoothly enough with about 400mb free unless you're playing some really intensive games.

Sinkster

damponting44

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Jan 13, 2014, 8:47:37 PM via Website

Get an app like CleanMaster Cleaner to get a one-touch button to free up RAM. I usually run it together with Advanced Task Killer (ATK). Your apps will start to eat up RAM quickly unless you shut them off when they're not in use. CleanMaster and ATK together tend to keep things lean, and CleanMaster even has a visual depiction of how much RAM you have free (in its home screen widget). You can even set both of these apps up to run automatically when you turn your screen off.

--I do a good impression of myself--

damponting44

Nik Burin
  • Forum posts: 53

Jan 16, 2014, 10:07:39 PM via App

Joel W.
Get an app like CleanMaster Cleaner to get a one-touch button to free up RAM. I usually run it together with Advanced Task Killer (ATK). Your apps will start to eat up RAM quickly unless you shut them off when they're not in use. CleanMaster and ATK together tend to keep things lean, and CleanMaster even has a visual depiction of how much RAM you have free (in its home screen widget). You can even set both of these apps up to run automatically when you turn your screen off.
this is awkward seeing an admin suggest an app killer,those apps are pointless to be honest

damponting44

Joel W.

Jan 16, 2014, 11:16:51 PM via Website

Respectfully, I disagree. I've had 8+ Android devices now and have had lag problems on all of them if I don't use a task killer to refresh my free memory regularly. I set them to run whenever I turn the screen on, and they actually keep my devices running quite smoothly. Granted, you could freeze or completely deactivate apps with root, but I've generally found that that can be more trouble than it's worth.

Just for the sake of discussion, though, why do you find these apps useless, and what would you recommend as an alternative?

--Joel

damponting44

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jan 16, 2014, 11:57:31 PM via App

task killers can be effective, but since ICS android memory management has improved hugely. I always found the best option to be a script from ZepellinRox, a dev on xda, that altered the oom settings so that certain apps would remain cached and therefore not use a much ram. On my earlier phones (xperia x10 256mb ram, xperia arc 512mb ram) it was highly effective, but on the one x it wasn't.

Sinkster

Nik Burin
  • Forum posts: 53

Jan 17, 2014, 1:46:48 AM via App

my statement was incomplete,pointless on phones with 1gb+ RAM on 512 and below yeah,task killers can be effective,but will only partially improve the usability, since majority of force closed apps tend to restart back again,I've had 20+ android devices both budget and flagship,on phones with 512mb RAM and lower i used to prevent apps from starting by themselves by adjusting permissions in app settings(no root) and as sinkster mentioned,starting from ICS,the task management hugely improved making most of task killers obsolete

Joel W.

Jan 17, 2014, 10:31:41 PM via Website

Ah, I see what you mean about phones with more RAM. I agree, I've noticed that task killers are ineffective against apps that start themselves up (it's like trying to put a 2 year-old to bed). I've had a couple of budget phones that I had to use workarounds for because they had very little RAM, but I can understand why you'd say task killers don't work.

Glad to hear your perspective.

Ben Roveno
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 28, 2014, 12:36:25 PM via Website

Having 300MB of RAM slashed from the total 2GB of RAM in your phone is completely normal dude. It's for the entire system of your phone in order to operate all the Android OS and features. With 1.7GB of RAM, it's more than enough for your phone to operate seamlessly without any hiccup whatsoever. In fact, you're really in luck there as i only have 700MB of RAM in my phone, although it still runs fluidly even for gaming.

Gabriel Perianu
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 7, 2016, 5:17:39 PM via Website

More exactly,those 300 mb of RAM are used by the CPU and the GPU , a pc needs a video card to play videos and games which needs its own RAM ,unlike a pc,smartphones don't have a dedicated RAM for video card so Android will use the basic RAM for it.If you have lower max free RAM than normal that's a good thing because means that your games will run smoother at higher fps,the GPU having more free RAM to use

damponting44
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 10, 2016, 7:04:53 AM via Website

Having 300MB of RAM sliced from the aggregate 2GB of RAM in your telephone is totally ordinary man. It's for the whole arrangement of your telephone keeping in mind the end goal to work all the Android OS and elements. With 1.7GB of RAM, it's all that could possibly be needed for your telephone to work consistently with no hiccup at all. Actually, you're truly in fortunes there as i just have 700MB of RAM in my telephone, in spite of the fact that despite everything it runs smoothly notwithstanding to game.