How much RAM is enough for Android?

• Replies:19
AJ STA ANA
  • Forum posts: 54

Dec 26, 2013, 3:53:36 PM via Website

Is 1gb RAM enough?,because 600-1024 MB RAM is being used up on my phone (which has 2GigaBytes) ,how much RAM do you think is enough for Android smartphones?

— modified on Dec 26, 2013, 3:56:16 PM

damponting44

Andrea
  • Forum posts: 25

Jan 10, 2014, 9:32:21 PM via Website

I used to have a 512 MB phone and lagged *a lot*. Now I have a Nexus4 where everything is super fluid.

I've tried for quite some time an SIII mini, which has 1 GB of ram and it lagged, but it may be definitely Samsung's fault.

Oh, and you should also notice that the more RAM you have, the more the system consumes. After Kitkat, Android should work with as little as 512MB, thus I guess 1 GB should be quite enough, if the system is not full of bloatware.

damponting44

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Jan 13, 2014, 8:52:15 PM via Website

I have never had good experiences with phones having less than 1GB of ram. Lag city. Even tablets tend to top out at 2GB, though. I'd say if you get a phone with 2GB of ram, you're good to go, because although tablets lag with that much (or little) ram, phones have a lot less drain in my experience. I had a great run with a Galaxy S III (2GB ) and an okay time with my most recent phone, a Razr M (1GB ). Just use a task killer to keep your ram free and you'll be fine.

— modified on Jan 13, 2014, 8:53:05 PM

--I do a good impression of myself--

damponting44Kannan Mohan

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jan 14, 2014, 7:41:09 AM via Website

well you have asked question which is going to be answered differently i mean there are more than one answers. More the RAM is more the speed is so there is no limit.... and as far as your question is concerned 1GB of RAM would be prefectly fine !!

damponting44

plck74
  • Forum posts: 50

Jan 15, 2014, 5:39:20 AM via App

i prefer company to allow us to add on memory...just like pc. better have more than 1g ram coz game is gonna have high end graphic. like spider man....need a lot of ram to run smooth.

damponting44Sadi Sabekti

Nik Burin
  • Forum posts: 53

Jan 15, 2014, 6:44:16 AM via App

2gb of RAM is perfectly enough,don't look at how much memory android system is taking,the more=the better,it ensures smooth experience with the system,and one advice don't listen to people that say use task killer and you will be fine,no you won't, it's just not good for the system to force close apps constantly and android 4.x has an in built task manager which is perfect

damponting44

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jan 16, 2014, 5:53:38 AM via Website

Nik Burin
2gb of RAM is perfectly enough,don't look at how much memory android system is taking,the more=the better,it ensures smooth experience with the system,and one advice don't listen to people that say use task killer and you will be fine,no you won't, it's just not good for the system to force close apps constantly and android 4.x has an in built task manager which is perfect

well, i guess Android devices are being preferred because they have cost cutting factors if i have to invest such a amount in Android then i am definitely going to to prefer iPhone not Android. So, i would say for getting 1GB of RAM you need to spend around $150-$160 but in order to get 2GB RAM i would have to spend around $200-$250. Why don't i go for iPhone instead of Android. that would costs same around $200.

damponting44

Nik Burin

Jan 16, 2014, 7:33:04 AM via App

John Farrell
Nik Burin

well, i guess Android devices are being preferred because they have cost cutting factors if i have to invest such a amount in Android then i am definitely going to to prefer iPhone not Android. So, i would say for getting 1GB of RAM you need to spend around $150-$160 but in order to get 2GB RAM i would have to spend around $200-$250. Why don't i go for iPhone instead of Android. that would costs same around $200.
well even the newest iphones have 1gb ram and dual core CPU's since the OS does not require a lot of processing power hence the minimalistic ui and limited capabilities, if you're looking for a budget phone and the os is not the form factor, then i would suggest windows phone,runs smooth even on 512mb RAM and i think androids are preferred not because of cost cutting factors,but for their features and customisation and i think most of users on this forum will agree

— modified on Jan 16, 2014, 7:34:32 AM

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Jan 16, 2014, 11:21:33 PM via Website

...not to mention that when comparing hardware I think it's nearly apples and oranges for iPhones and Android. Try figuring out how much RAM an Apple mobile device has--it's not easy, because of the way they integrate their chips.

I agree with Nik, that Android is preferable for customization and flexibility. If you buy an iPhone, you'll end up with a clean-running device that does everything nicely as long as the ghost of Steve Jobs approves of what you're doing. If you buy an Android phone, you can upgrade your storage space, replace your battery when you need to (on most phones, that is) and have a much more flexible UI experience.

Windows phones are pretty cost-effective, but the downside is you lose a few hundred thousand app choices by going with their app store.

--I do a good impression of myself--

Nik Burin

Jan 17, 2014, 3:01:04 AM via App

Joel W.
...not to mention that when comparing hardware I think it's nearly apples and oranges for iPhones and Android. Try figuring out how much RAM an Apple mobile device has--it's not easy, because of the way they integrate their chips.

I agree with Nik, that Android is preferable for customization and flexibility. If you buy an iPhone, you'll end up with a clean-running device that does everything nicely as long as the ghost of Steve Jobs approves of what you're doing. If you buy an Android phone, you can upgrade your storage space, replace your battery when you need to (on most phones, that is) and have a much more flexible UI experience.

Windows phones are pretty cost-effective, but the downside is you lose a few hundred thousand app choices by going with their app store.
Joel put everything on shelves, since AJ is concerned about RAM and doesn't want to spend a lot of buck on the phone,the best solution would be windows phone,as I've said before they run smooth even on 512 RAM and I've used devices both with 512 and 1gb I've noticed little improvement in smoothness

James Andrew
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 13, 2014, 5:29:25 AM via Website

This is completely depends up on the applications you are being used. Typically 1GB Ram is enough but most of us forget to close the app once we finished its use. So it might occupy upto 1gb even if you have more memory.

Ben Roveno
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 29, 2014, 5:13:02 AM via Website

I think 1GB is already enough for Android device. I know, many smartphone manufacturers put too many bloatwares and pre-loaded apps on their Android devices. But you can always disable them or remove those unnecessary apps by rooting the phone. My phone only uses 1GB of RAM and leaves around 700MB free RAM and this is already enough for me because i can always KILL or force close the previuos app whenever i want to open new apps or play game.

Aikin Joseph
  • Forum posts: 11

Apr 21, 2014, 6:50:40 PM via Website

I GB is not enough for me. There are 50+ apps currently installed on my device. Usually, apps consume almost 1.6 GB RAM when running it on full capacity.

Josh Christian

Jun 6, 2014, 12:20:02 PM via Website

Like a pc can never have enough.I would say though a gig over what they recommend running on any os..

Roneyl Gordon

Jun 6, 2014, 12:46:35 PM via Website

I have Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos and it has 1gb of RAM 524 mb is being used out of 1024.

Albert U.

Jun 6, 2014, 2:42:15 PM via Website

I think 1 GB of RAM should be a minimum today, even though Kitkat has been tuned to run with less.

The problem usually is the skin some OEMs burden their devices with, using up lots of RAM for no purpose.

That being said, I've been switching most of my old phones over to custom ROMs (shout out to the cool dudes at SlimROMs) which take up considerably less RAM. My oldest device is a Samsung Galaxy S which is now running smoothly with Kitkat and only 512 MB RAM. My daily driver, a Samsung Note 2, has 2 GB of RAM and is running super-smooth with Kitkat as well. So like others have said, more is always better, but the benefits seem to become less noticeable beyond 2 GB of RAM IMHO.

paulc
  • Forum posts: 8

Jun 11, 2014, 6:51:21 PM via Website

Thought I read somewhere that starting with KitKat (or maybe even Jelly Bean) Android intelligently dumps apps that have been idle for too long (however long that is) and so maintains a reasonable amount of free GB running space.

Seems to equate with what I see, in that there's never more than about 60% of the 1 GB RAM used up, despite having over 60 apps to choose from (not all running at once of course). Whatever the actual technique, the OS always seems fast and smooth, no task killers needed. I think the original Moto X proved it was about the how phone as a whole was put together.

Ben Law

Eugene Uegene

Feb 5, 2015, 1:45:59 PM via Website

2GB of ram is required to play most graphics intensive games.I have a crappy Xperia C3 and its only have 1GB of RAM.Games and apps constantly crashing on it even YouTube and Angry Birds Epic.

Ben Law

Jun 15, 2015, 11:32:18 PM via Website

The x8 chipset on the 2013 was genius did not benchmark well but ran smooth as butter with any given task pure brilliance

damponting44
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 10, 2016, 7:52:14 AM via Website

I think 1GB is now enough for Android gadget. I know, numerous cell phone producers put excessively numerous bloatwares and pre-stacked applications on their Android gadgets. Be that as it may, you can simply handicap them or evacuate those superfluous applications by establishing the telephone. My telephone just uses 1GB of RAM and leaves around 700MB free RAM and this is as of now enough for me since i can simply KILL or compel close the previuos application at whatever point i need to open new applications or play amusement.