Factory Reset the Google Nexus 4

• Replies:3
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Feb 11, 2014, 6:37:38 PM via Website

Performing a Factory Reset on your device is very easy. The difference between a Factory Reset and a Hard Reset is:

Factory Reset
The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings but leaves the contents of your internal SD Card intact (not that you have one in your Nexus 4).

Hard Reset
Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Clear? Ok, let's proceed with the Factory Reset of a Google Nexus 4 from within the menu settings:

Settings > Back Up & Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Phone > Erase Everything.

Please remember to back up any data you want to keep first! In the Factory Reset screen you also have the option to Backup My Data and Auto Restore. These are good options to tick before you Factory Reset if you're not too sure how to do this on your own.

If you're at all paranoid about your SIM card just take it out before you do the Factory Reset.

If you are still having problems (assuming this is why you decided to Factory Reset in the first place), you can try a Hard Reset, the instructions for which are here.

— modified on Feb 11, 2014, 6:41:22 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

pluglesstech
  • Forum posts: 67

Mar 3, 2014, 9:33:29 AM via Website

It's helped me a lot to reset the Google Nexus 4.
Thanks

Javier
  • Forum posts: 27

Nov 14, 2015, 12:41:20 PM via Website

Thanks! It also can be done using the the factory images on Google.

Elizabeth Nomor
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 8, 2016, 7:26:17 PM via Website

Hi, My Nexus 4 has been misbehaving lately. it stays on while in flight mode but switches off or goes blank when I turn flight mode off. I have deleted all installed apps, done factory resets and even removed all Google app updates to no avail. Any help with this?