"World’s Most Depressing App" Launches in Lebanon

• Replies:2
Mary Mod
  • Forum posts: 432

Feb 12, 2014, 2:56:58 PM via Website

Hey all,

I just read about the "World’s Most Depressing App". The app is called I am Alive which is launched in Lebanon.

This new app lets citizens of Lebanon automatically tweet, with one tap of the finger, “I am still alive! #Lebanon #Latestbombing.”

The sales pitch on the app’s homepage states, “Every time there is an explosion, we have to spend a lot of time contacting our loved ones…Not anymore!”

Apparently 4,000 users have installed the app (since it launched on January 21) and used it in two subsequent bombings. People in other war ravaged regions of the world have contacted the app’s creator to request their own, localized version, according to the BBC.

There is also a VIP version of the app which enables politicians to tweet out prefabricated messages of condemnation. No word on how many have installed this pro version.

What are your thoughts on this app? Do you think this will be the norm in other countires over the next few years?

— modified on Feb 12, 2014, 2:57:34 PM

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Feb 13, 2014, 11:06:45 AM via Website

This app is very interesting and I suppose this is really helpful when your city or country is faced with grave civil unrest. I think people in other countries affected by Tsunamis and other natural disasters could use this as well.

I definitely give this app more than one thumbs up! :mellow:

Hideyasu
  • Forum posts: 16

Mar 4, 2014, 2:37:15 PM via Website

That's just great! With all those catastrophes and military conflicts, the app is just a must have!