Dear all app developers cloning "Flappy Bird"....

• Replies:9
Mary Mod
  • Forum posts: 432

Feb 14, 2014, 3:59:10 PM via Website

So I have been seeing a LARGE amount of "Flappy Bird" clones in "Let me show you my app" section since the news of the original being removed from Google Play.

Just a question to all the app developers who have cloned the game this past week (using other birds, pigs, cats & even poo). Have you cloned the app thinking that you to will be getting $50k a day or was it more to create your first app kinda thing? Have you been getting any installs?

On a side note, You can still get the Flappy Bird APK, or the original Flappy Bird on Google Play.

Would really like to know how your versions of Flappy Bird are going!

KrayZ Logic
  • Forum posts: 17

Feb 15, 2014, 3:46:48 PM via Website

I did it as more of a challenge for myself. I wanted to see how easy it was to do, and it was pretty easy. My expectations are pretty low, I don't expect it to be a hit. However, the first 2 days have been one of my best for an app release.

RiC David
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 17, 2014, 5:13:08 PM via Website

Was that as passive aggressive as it sounded?

Mary Mod

Feb 17, 2014, 5:18:44 PM via Website

Hi Ric, Nope, I am just wondering the reason for cloning the game, the expectations of the developer and how it has been going for the apps so far.

— modified on Feb 17, 2014, 5:27:21 PM

AnalogPresent
  • Forum posts: 9

Feb 18, 2014, 12:02:58 AM via Website

to tell the truth, i didn't even thought that my game was counted as a clone : (
i hoped that my game is different enough to be just a small casual game.
The main reason for the clone dev is money, i mean on some sites the clones are in the top 10!

Ben Chew
  • Forum posts: 8

Feb 19, 2014, 6:06:22 PM via Website

I like to twist things around, and found that Flappy Bird was quite an interesting subject to twist.
I don't expect a $50k, I'd be happy if I am able to make at least 1% of that. lol

I still find it hard to advertise and promote my apps... without the promotion, it's almost impossible to get anywhere.

And yes, I'm trying to make a living out of making games, by stacking up one app at a time.

— modified on Feb 19, 2014, 6:21:02 PM

Mary Mod

Feb 20, 2014, 10:22:16 AM via Website

Hi guys, thanks for your input :) I am not a developer myself but I do know that app promotion is not easy.

How do you think the developer of "Flappy Bird" got to this point? It didn't look as any promotion was made and was all by word of mouth. Do you believe this though or do you think he had some marketing team behind him?

— modified on Feb 20, 2014, 10:22:42 AM

Ben Chew
  • Forum posts: 8

Feb 20, 2014, 5:30:41 PM via Website

I read somewhere he had bots downloading his app to shoot it up at one point.. I'm unsure.

His real popularity boom came from PewDiePie. After PewDiePie reviewed his game, it became viral

Ryan IT Lab
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 28, 2014, 6:29:50 AM via Website

My development group Digi Sky Games has 6 games out right now, 3 are "inspired by" Dong Nguyen's games.
We didn't steal characters, but we made some that are pretty close. We added powerups and other small changes.

We are not trying to have the next $50k a day game (though it would be nice) - we are just trying to get a feel of what the audience out there want.

*admin edit: please only promote your free app in the Let me show you my app thread*

— modified on Feb 28, 2014, 10:25:58 AM by moderator

Ivan Kurniawan
  • Forum posts: 4

Mar 2, 2014, 2:51:30 AM via Website

Dear Admin, my recent game, Hungry Ghost have a very very different gameplay from flappy bird. Try it yourself if you didn't believe. So, why is my app moved here?

— modified on Mar 2, 2014, 2:52:19 AM