Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo smartwatches - first thoughts

• Replies:6
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Mar 5, 2014, 5:20:05 PM via Website

Straight off the bat I have to confess I hated the original Galaxy Gear.

The new Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo (dropping the Galaxy moniker because they run Tizen instead of Android) are much the same as the first version, at least in terms of interface and functionality.

Design-wise, they are a little different but by and large they're still the same clunky ugly smartwatch. The Gear 2 has a nice metal frame which houses the camera (thank god that awful pimple wristband camera was removed) and the Gear 2 Neo is all plastic and is cameraless.

I didn't play around with either device all that much in Barcelona at MWC because there really didn't seem to be that much going on that was any different, other than they are now standalone device thanks to Tizen and the design is a little thinner and mildly less ugly now that the svisible screws have been removed.

You'll also now get a heart rate monitor. The devices are meant to be used in conjunctions with the new Galaxy S5, which also has a heart rate monitor, so there's no chance of not knowing when your heart rate is up. Especially considering it is, you know, inside your chest and all.

All things considered, the new Gear smartwatches are an improvement on the original Gear, but, just as the Galaxy S5 is to the S4, there's not too much in the way of radical innovations going on and certainly not enough to win over those disappointed in the first version Galaxy Gear.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Yemua Vue
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 5, 2014, 10:28:37 PM via Website

Hey I have a question about the showbox app every time I go to the site it says Hello World so is there any other way I can down load showbox can someone help me please and thank you

Sara Mahir
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 9, 2015, 4:52:07 PM via Website

I like smartwatches and wear Sykla smartwatch that I bought recently.

— modified on Jan 9, 2015, 5:27:31 PM

Christiana B.
  • Forum posts: 13

Mar 13, 2015, 3:13:35 PM via Website

I am a total newbie when it comes to smartwatches but I consider myself a gadget freak. I found a used gear 2 neo on ebay and bought it (still waiting on delivery) so that I can play around with it and see what all the hype is about.

I will post my thoughts as soon as I have tested it thoroughly!

Christiana B.
  • Forum posts: 13

Mar 18, 2015, 2:12:06 PM via Website

My Gear 2 neo came today and I have tested it a little.

I am really pleased with it, especially the fact that I can change the watch faces according to my mood swings(smug) or according to what I am wearing. And it just looks good! not too clumpy (I like BIG watches anyway!).

lizabrown007
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 26, 2019, 6:19:45 AM via Website

I also reviewed the features of it. It is really very nice.

lizabrown007
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 26, 2019, 6:20:02 AM via Website

I am also deciding to buy it.