Tips and Tricks for Google Maps

• Replies:27
  • Stickied
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Mar 6, 2014, 12:09:44 PM via Website

Hey everyone,

Google Map is an Android staple! That's why it's important to master it and know all the in's and out's.

Here are some tips:

1, When you look up a destination, you can slide the information card up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the call, save, and share buttons (borrows the Google Now card appearance). You'll also see the street view of the location, ratings, and reviews.

2. Tap the silhouette icon at the far right-hand side of the search bar to gain quick access to your map data. This provides you with reviews, saved addresses for home and work, nearby offers, saved places, and even recent searches.

3, Traffic and satellite layers have been relocated to a general menu. Just tap on the gray tab along the bottom left-hand side of the app and the menu will open so you can enable your desired layers.

4. The Local feature has been replaced by Explore. Press the search box at the top and then scroll down the page to find the Explore banner, This gives you options like eat, drink, shop, play and sleep and there's even an option for you to find places nearby without even knowing the exact name.

5. Type Ok Maps in the search box to save Google Maps offline. Or just choose the Make this Map area available offline" link under the search box for faster access.

6. If you want to see locations of friends, you'll have to open the Google+ app and choose Locations from the left-hand menu.

Google posted them own tips for Google Maps, so check these out too.

You can also look at our series of GIFs to help with Google Maps gesture controls (including one-handed controls)

I hope that you have found these helpful! <3

— modified on Mar 6, 2014, 12:12:24 PM

Fatima AnsariSorinAZHAR IQBALVera H.Joycee

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 4

Nov 19, 2014, 11:39:43 AM via Website

Hi,

Nice Post1

I too have few Android Tips that will help the newbie while using their android device and will prevent data loss scenario.

admin edit:external links not allowed

— modified on Nov 19, 2014, 11:46:05 AM by moderator

Morris Max
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 6, 2015, 8:24:21 AM via Website

Loie Favre

Hey everyone,

Google Map is an Android staple! That's why it's important to master it and know all the in's and out's.

Here are some tips:

1, When you look up a destination, you can slide the information card up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the call, save, and share buttons (borrows the Google Now card appearance). You'll also see the street view of the location, ratings, and reviews.

1. Tap the silhouette icon at the far right-hand side of the search bar to gain quick access to your map data. This provides you with reviews, saved addresses for home and work, nearby offers, saved places, and even recent searches.

3, Traffic and satellite layers have been relocated to a general menu. Just tap on the gray tab along the bottom left-hand side of the app and the menu will open so you can enable your desired layers.

1. The Local feature has been replaced by Explore. Press the search box at the top and then scroll down the page to find the Explore banner, This gives you options like eat, drink, shop, play and sleep and there's even an option for you to find places nearby without even knowing the exact name.

2. Type Ok Maps in the search box to save Google Maps offline. Or just choose the Make this Map area available offline" link under the search box for faster access.

3. If you want to see locations of friends, you'll have to open the Google+ app and choose Locations from the left-hand menu.

Google posted them own tips for Google Maps, so check these out too.

You can also look at our series of GIFs to help with Google Maps gesture controls (including one-handed controls)

I hope that you have found these helpful! <3

Hi Loie...................

First of all thanks for sharing this nice tips on Google Maps. Google Maps in present days is an essential apps to locate a place properly. This is helpful to them who are not aware about to use this apps.

:)

Fatima Ansari

johnlee
  • Forum posts: 5

Feb 6, 2015, 8:47:03 AM via Website

Nice Post

Shelley Grace
  • Forum posts: 7

May 13, 2015, 3:12:23 PM via Website

Hi! Thank you for these tips. I have been using Google Maps for directions especially if I am new to the place. With this, I can fully use Google Maps to its full potential.

A million thanks!

Hub Stro
  • Forum posts: 13

Nov 14, 2015, 10:31:14 AM via Website

Great, thx.

Javier
  • Forum posts: 27

Nov 14, 2015, 12:20:04 PM via Website

Thanks!

nilofar shaikh
  • Forum posts: 581

Dec 11, 2015, 1:55:12 PM via Website

Hie, nice post. I have question. How to draw CIRCLE ROUTE? No poly-line, but circle route as you could find in Google Maps in Android, when you choose route for WALK.

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page "LEO Privacy Guard"

Minh Loi Pham
  • Forum posts: 22

Dec 18, 2015, 3:56:53 AM via Website

Thank you!

Maylalala
  • Forum posts: 45

Jan 12, 2016, 12:19:39 PM via Website

Thank you very much I must say - theese are very valuable tips or recommendations for everyone, maps is something I think everybody uses quite frequently.

Henri Mik
  • Forum posts: 11

May 13, 2016, 4:27:57 PM via Website

Useful info. Many features I have never realized to use.

Thanks for the post

Mukesh Jat
  • Forum posts: 56

Aug 7, 2016, 12:33:10 PM via Website

Thank you admin

Nolan Zink (z324)
  • Forum posts: 42

Feb 27, 2017, 2:42:48 PM via Website

Thanks!

Vera H.
  • Forum posts: 15

Jul 22, 2017, 12:04:04 PM via Website

A good post!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Grey
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 20, 2017, 12:48:13 PM via Website

A little easter egg on google maps, desktop version: if you get close enough to Windsor Castle, Windsor, the icon for street view in the lower right corner of the screen (resembling a human) changes appearance

jeroen defour
  • Forum posts: 12

Apr 9, 2018, 12:30:11 PM via Website

hehe, nice one :)

jeroen defour
  • Forum posts: 12

Apr 9, 2018, 12:31:05 PM via Website

Any more of those easter eggs?

jonsmith
  • Forum posts: 81

Jun 11, 2018, 11:01:26 AM via Website

Good Info. Thank you

Nisha Joshi
  • Forum posts: 38

Jul 13, 2018, 9:06:05 AM via Website

i appreciate this post, thanks to share this thing will us

marco sarli
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 1,011

Aug 25, 2019, 7:33:46 AM via Website

thanks

AZHAR IQBAL
  • Forum posts: 30

Oct 15, 2019, 12:08:19 PM via Website

nice post

thanks

Martin George
  • Forum posts: 11

Nov 15, 2020, 10:58:01 PM via Website

Thanks for the information I was just able to solve my problem and added a lot of information to my article.

howard13vr
  • Forum posts: 10

Aug 5, 2021, 12:00:45 AM via Website

Loie Favre, nice and useful tips and tricks, thanks.

Jazzdev
  • Forum posts: 16

Apr 28, 2022, 8:32:05 AM via Website

Thanks for this

Fatima Ansari
  • Forum posts: 21

Nov 1, 2023, 9:34:36 PM via Website

Very Informative .. I have further expert tips that are

Here are some short tips for Google Maps:

Use offline maps.
Check real-time traffic.
Share your location.
Customize your route.
Explore nearby places.
Access Street View.
Save parking locations.
Measure distances.
Add custom labels.
Explore offline.
Use voice commands.
Share your ETA.
Avoid tolls and highways.
Save favorite places.

Ethinix Salon

Nov 2, 2023, 11:34:51 AM via Website

Google Maps is a powerful tool for navigation and exploration. To maximize its utility, consider these tips and tricks. You can save offline maps for areas with limited connectivity, share your real-time location with friends, and even explore popular landmarks in 3D with Street View. Customizing your experience with saved places and frequent destinations will enhance your Google Maps usage.

Ethinix Salon

Nov 2, 2023, 12:31:29 PM via Website

Unlock the full potential of Google Maps with these tips and tricks. Save offline maps for travel, share your real-time location with friends, and explore 3D landmarks with Street View. Customize your experience by saving frequent destinations and use voice commands for hands-free navigation. Discover more with Google Maps!