Hello all

• Replies:6
Donald Painter
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 23, 2014, 10:46:34 PM via Website

Hello. I am new to this android thing. Trying to find a place to start. So far all the tutorials that I have tried are already out dated or over my head. Looking for some complete noob help. Maybe links to a tutorial and the exact GUI versions for the tutorial. Hoping for some basic simple help. Thanks.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Mar 24, 2014, 5:59:40 AM via Website

Hi Donald,
First of all welcome to the AndroidPit forum, hope you have a pleasant time here. We would love to help you out, there is a developer thread in our forum where you can ask your questions to our members. :) Love to hear from you !:grin:

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Mar 24, 2014, 12:02:05 PM via Website

Hey Donald!

Thanks for introducing yourself.

So, what types of tutorials are you looking for? What Android device? This information would provide me with a good idea of where to start :)

We have general How to's and Tutorials in the forum.

There are also some App related ones as well. Like How ot set up Andorid Device Manager to lock and wipe your phone remotely, Google Maps gesture controls (one and two handed gestures), Tips and Tricks for Google Maps, how to clear history on Google Chrome for Android, How to add WhatsApp to your lockscreen, and the list continues.

That was just for the forum. The News section of our website has a huge selection as well in the Tips and Tricks section.
Check out our Android for Beginners series as well.

Hopefully, the various suggestions offered will help you out! :)

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Mar 24, 2014, 6:00:33 PM via Website

Hey @Donald, welcome to the forum!

It looks like John and Loie have got you sorted out already with some places to start, but feel free to use the search box on AndroidPIT to look for something more specific.

And if we're missing something you'd like to know just ask us directly and we might be able to do a full write-up on it because if you want to know something plenty of other people probably do too.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Donald Painter
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 25, 2014, 5:48:48 AM via Website

I finally found a youtube video showing how to install a fairly recent version of eclipse with the proper SDK's. It went fairly well and I did finally get the "hello world" app to run under one version of android. I think that I still need to download and update a bunch of stuff to get eclipse fully functional. But as they say, baby steps.
It is great that so many of you have responded so quickly to my intro post. I am looking thru the links that you gave me. I look forward to becoming a member of your community.

— modified on Mar 25, 2014, 5:49:55 AM

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Mar 26, 2014, 1:45:14 AM via Website

Glad to see you here, @Donald! If you have any need for technical support, feel free to ask. I've rooted and reflashed every Android device I've owned (10+ of them) so I've gotten pretty good about following directions, if nothing else :)

Welcome to the wide and wild world of Android!

--I do a good impression of myself--

Marym Mahmoud
  • Forum posts: 105

Mar 26, 2014, 3:11:34 AM via Website

hi back :)

Android Geek Blogger Best Android Launcher