Motorola Moto E — How to decide between the Moto E and Moto G

• Replies:7
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

May 15, 2014, 12:05:34 PM via Website

If you're looking to snap up a bargain Motorola device, either the new Moto E or Moto G, then you can read my full comparison article (and watch the video) that I posted yesterday.

But the major differences are a roughly $50 price difference, but the Moto E gains:
- a microSD card slot (up to 32 GB ) - the Moto E only has 4 GB internal storage.
- official ''water-resistant coating/splash guard''
- at least one guaranteed update to the Android platform (it comes with Android 4.4.2), not bad for a hundred buck smartphone!

But the Moto E loses:
- a front-facing camera
- the ability to tap-to-focus in the camera app
- a LED flash

Things in the middle, based on personal preference/care factor:
- the same 5 MP camera from the Moto G
- front-mounted speaker (instead of on the back in the Moto G)
- slightly sloppy rear battery cover
- slightly thicker, but smaller footprint than the Moto G.
- smaller display size and much lower pixel density than the Moto G (326 ppi vs 256 ppi)

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

May 15, 2014, 6:08:30 PM via Website

I would choose the Moto G 4G hands down! I've seen the Moto E and it isn't that nice, especially the white model looks like a child's toy. I think other colors would be nice for sure, but the Moto G still has that smartphone feel for me as for the Moto E, it feels like a phone I had a few years ago. But then again, I haven'T spent much time with it, so my opinion might change... :angel:

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

May 31, 2014, 8:35:58 PM via Website

Yeah, the LTE Moto G is definitely the big winner for me here too. Add a microSD card AND LTE to the Moto G? End of competition. Makes me wonder who will be buying the non-LTE Moto G now though (other than people like us where LTE is not exactly widespread).

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

paulc
  • Forum posts: 8

Jun 9, 2014, 11:05:41 AM via Website

I agree with both above but then the Moto E hadn't appeared yet in the UK while the G was already available. I can see the E appealing to people who want to keep the size down - it's about 5mm shorter and only 1mm thicker than the G and the SD card plug-in is more convenient (though adds cost) than the G's workaround of plugging in an OTG cable to use external USB sticks, though that works fine too. However the 16GB version of the G is the only one worth considering as it's easy to use up 8GB of space in a few months - unless you don't take photos, listen to music, or download apps, ie don't actually use the phone much! Long term, both will probably start to change what other manufacturers produce in terms of value.

Kavin William
  • Forum posts: 10

Oct 28, 2014, 1:24:58 PM via Website

Hi! I would love to suggest you opting moto E because of 3G, 4.3″ Capacitive touchscreen, 5 MP camera, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth.

Ankit Yadav
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 9, 2014, 3:25:04 PM via App

but me n mine frnds suggested that moto e will be perfect than moto g

Ankita Sahu
  • Forum posts: 4

May 18, 2015, 7:51:02 AM via Website

As i possess Moto E handset, i would suggest you to get this handset. Moto E doesn't comprise of one feature i.e Front Camera and i think it can be ignored :D. Rest, its a good device. Also, a news flashed up recently which says that Moto E 2015 handset is going to receive Android Lollipop update :)

Kevin Kempf
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 27, 2016, 1:31:34 AM via Website

Just got a Moto E. Can I run Google Wallet? Does it have NRC?