Samsung Galaxy S3 — Keypad tones fail to work during call - Galaxy S3 i9300

• Replies:7
Anon
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 18, 2014, 5:42:18 AM via Website

Hi all,

I´ve just changed networks on my UK international i9300 Samsung Galaxy S3 so I can use a H20 wireless (AT&T network) SIM.

I tried a few different modems via the GetRIL app, but couldn´t get any to match. I then used GalaxSim Unlock to unlock the phone. The IMEI was temporarily removed but I restored the original modem via GetRIL and it appeared to be unlocked still.

I can now dial with the phone but the only difference is the keypad tones fail to work during the call. When dialling, the numbers come up on screen correctly and make the normal keypad tones. The problem is during the call when an automated line will ask for numbers to be input. They will come onscreen but make no noise, so the other end considers I´ve not entered anything.

There are no settings available to alter, I´ve tried a reboot etc. but nothing has helped. Í´ve had a look on Google but I can´t see anyone else who´s had this problem. Any ideas?

P.S. It is possible the RIL/modem works for texts, calls but isn´t quite the right one to produce DTMF dial tones?

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jun 18, 2014, 9:13:18 AM via Website

Shouldn't be the modem as it would be a system issue or setting. Try going into the call settings menu, select ringtones and keypad tones, then uncheck the keytones box. Samsung, in their infinite wisdom, seem to toggle audible keypad tones and actual keytones...

Sinkster

Anon

Jun 18, 2014, 4:17:22 PM via Website

Cheers guys. I've tried that setting, doesn't seem to make a difference. It's like the keypad just diables itself during a call. Even if I try to hangup, the button greys out as if it's finishing the call, but doesn't actually do so. It's only when the other side actually disconnects the call actually finishes.

I suspect it's the actual call making app. I'm using CyanogenMod and am unsure what app to reinstall?

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jun 18, 2014, 5:07:54 PM via Website

Go to settings/apps and the phone app will be there. Try clearing the data and cache. Plus are you using the right Gapps package? The latest CM 11 nightly is based on 4.4.3 so 4.4.2 zips may cause issues.

Sinkster

Anon

Jun 19, 2014, 7:27:01 PM via Website

EDIT: If I receive a call, I can enter numbers as normal. Totally bizarre.

I have cleared the cache mentioned above thanks, doesn´t seem to make any difference. I'm using the CM10, I may clear it and upgrade to CM 11. I have used the correct Gapps package also.

Hugo Minney
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 24, 2014, 5:32:34 PM via Website

I've just done the same - moved from Vodafone to Utility Warehouse, and the symptoms were the same. Solved it.
Vodafone had a background process running, which presumably provided a continuous data link to give additional features, although whether they were features for me or for vodafone i shall never know. Once i left Vodafone, this process started taking all the CPU cycles and that stopped a whole lot of things working on the phone, including DTMF tones during a call (seemed to be worst during a call - the line would be crackly, calls would drop or fail to pick up).
I disabled the process in System Panel, and it's like i have a new phone! Calls in the same location connect clear as anything, the phone doesn't overheat during calls (in spite of the hot air i talk). Worth a try

Kris de vlieger
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 28, 2017, 7:52:36 PM via Website

This seems to be taken way too light. I had the issue today : no possibility to answer to a press one for english... During a call with cardstop to block stolen creditcards. It resulted in 3 international calls, throwing out the android phone and borrow an old cell phone. And losing 45 minutes while thieves emptied my account.
This is SERIOUS !