Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 — How to perform a hard reset on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1)

• Replies:16
  • Stickied
Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jun 18, 2014, 12:56:36 PM via Website

Here is a guide for performing a hard reset on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1)

A hard reset is a good way to fix some software related problems. This should however be one of your last resorts, there are often less intense methods to fix many of your Android problems. Try turning your phone off for a while and then restart it, or take the battery out. Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best.

Before attempting a hard reset, ensure that you have backed up all of your data beforehand. There are a number of good apps that can do this, such as Titanium Backup, Carbon Backup and Helium.

Alternatively you can use the back up and restore app ready installed on your handset, like this:

From any Home screen, select the applications icon (located in the upper right).
Select Settings.
Select Back up and reset
From the Backup & restore section, ensure the appropriate account is selected from the Backup account field then configure the following:
(Enabled is when a check mark is present.)
Back up my data:
Personal data such as WiFi passwords, Browser bookmarks, User dictionary, a list of installed Market application and other customized settings are backed up to Google's servers.
Automatic restore:
Data and settings are restored to applications utilizing the backup service upon reinstallation.

Note that if data back up is disabled, existing backups are deleted from Google's servers.

Also, disable Automatic Restore prior to performing a hard reset when attempting to determine whether a third-party app is the cause of an operating system or app issue.

To hard reset the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1)

From a home screen, select Apps (Located at the bottom when viewed in portrait or at the upper right in landscape.)
From the Apps tab, select Settings.
Select Back up and reset.
Select Factory data reset.
To reset the device select Reset device (enter password/PIN if prompted). Select Continue and then delete all.

Or

Press and hold the Power button until the Device options screen appears.
Select Power off.
Select OK.
Press and hold the Volume up button then press and hold the Power button.
When the Samsung logo appears, release all.
Select wipe data/factory reset. (Use the Volume buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.)
Select Yes -- delete all user data.
Select reboot system now.
Allow several minutes for the reboot process to complete.

There you have it. Let us know if you have any problems :)

— modified on Jun 23, 2014, 3:57:40 PM

Claudia Crist
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 28, 2014, 11:12:43 PM via Website

I have not had this issue in the three years I've had my tablet. I just swiped screen to unlock. Now it's asking me for a password. I've tried every password I have to no avail. It is connected to WI FI but can't unlock screen. Don't have a clue how this could have happened.

Hoping there is another suggestion you might have before I do a reset.

Thank you,

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Aug 29, 2014, 5:46:22 AM via Website

Claudia Crist

I have not had this issue in the three years I've had my tablet. I just swiped screen to unlock. Now it's asking me for a password. I've tried every password I have to no avail. It is connected to WI FI but can't unlock screen. Don't have a clue how this could have happened.

Hoping there is another suggestion you might have before I do a reset.

Thank you,

i think there is no other way. you need to hard reset your phone

Ready To Help You.

Les

Nov 17, 2014, 2:42:35 AM via Website

how do I get the AT&T out of my tab. when I start it and says AT & T? You know what I mean?

Dana Posey

Akhmad Khusyairi

Nov 17, 2014, 5:02:25 AM via Website

Scott Adam Gordon

Here is a guide for performing a hard reset on the [Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1)][1]

A hard reset is a good way to fix some software related problems. This should however be one of your last resorts, there are often less intense methods to fix many of your Android problems. Try turning your phone off for a while and then restart it, or take the battery out. Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best.

Before attempting a hard reset, ensure that you have backed up all of your data beforehand. There are a number of good apps that can do this, such as Titanium Backup, Carbon Backup and Helium.

Alternatively you can use the back up and restore app ready installed on your handset, like this:

From any Home screen, select the applications icon (located in the upper right).
Select Settings.
Select Back up and reset
From the Backup & restore section, ensure the appropriate account is selected from the Backup account field then configure the following:
Back up my data:
Personal data such as WiFi passwords, Browser bookmarks, User dictionary, a list of installed Market application and other customized settings are backed up to Google's servers.
Automatic restore:
Data and settings are restored to applications utilizing the backup service upon reinstallation.

Note that if data back up is disabled, existing backups are deleted from Google's servers.

Also, disable Automatic Restore prior to performing a hard reset when attempting to determine whether a third-party app is the cause of an operating system or app issue.

From a home screen, select Apps (Located at the bottom when viewed in portrait or at the upper right in landscape.)
To reset the device select Reset device (enter password/PIN if prompted). Select Continue and then delete all.

Or

Select Power off.
Select OK.
Select wipe data/factory reset. (Use the Volume buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.)

[1]: https://www.nextpit.com/device/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-10-1

Thank you for your sharing,
I have a trouble with my Android Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, I just tried your steps, but failed. Once I got the option step at the android logo, there is a message " did not match sized'/system........"
Would you like to help me to solve this problem, please?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

Warm regards,
Ery

Jen Ferrer
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 17, 2014, 5:29:40 AM via Website

Scott Adam Gordon

Here is a guide for performing a hard reset on the [Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1)][1]

Select Settings.
Select Back up and reset
Back up my data:
Automatic restore:

Or

Select Power off.
Select OK.

[1]: https://www.nextpit.com/device/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-10-1

Thanks for sharing. It is great. I am a newbie and hope to receive everybody's help.

Anthony Dobson

Dec 16, 2014, 10:59:22 AM via Website

Hi there,

I tried to update my firmware to 4.4.4...however.. it now has the "firmware upgrade encounter an issue" page stuck on... I have tried connecting to kies and doing a firmware recovery, but Kies cant detect the TAB... I have tried turning the tab off, it wont turn off..

Any suggestions
Thanks

Sharon Rose

Jan 21, 2015, 7:15:19 AM via Website

Hi,

I just tried the hard factory reset and everything went fine until I selected the reboot. It said error and turned off and won't turn back on.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Sharon

DB216

Jan 24, 2015, 4:35:30 PM via Website

Scott,
Some good advice, however it is not working for me. Ever since I applied a software update I have been unable to get it to start. It just hangs at the 'Samsung' sign on startup (only a few seconds into startup).

I have tried holding down the Power and Volume button and every selection under that menu, including Factory Reset. They all do nothing and it continues to hang on the 'Samsung' sign on startup. I am not under warranty and trying to fix this myself. I have heard of a possible fix where you can reload the operating system via a SD card (?) but haven't been able to find it.

Thanks in advance

Odis Selph

May 16, 2015, 1:53:51 PM via Website

Ok so I have tried the hard factory reset on my galaxytab 2 10.1 but when I select reboot system now it says there was an error and my device is still stuck in the reboot loop. Is there anything else I can try? BTW I have tried every option on the list. Including wiping cache and all.....still gives error. PLEASE HELP! Or is my tab just a post cause now?

Samanthe Lain

Aug 6, 2015, 5:19:55 AM via Website

I have tried to factory reset but once I get the logo and release all it does is turn the device on what should I do or what am I doing wrong?

Tracy

Nov 15, 2015, 3:51:12 AM via Website

I did a factory reset and my tab wouldn't restart. It kept getting stuck on the AT&T logo with white screen. So I did what you outlined above and selected reboot system now (I am not worried about losing any data) and the same thing keeps happening. It starts and cycles through the Samsung logo with chimes then gets stuck on the AT&T logo. I don't even have AT&T service anymore. It's been on the logo for over 5 minutes. Any suggestions? Thank you

DJ Cook

Nov 17, 2015, 6:19:10 AM via Website

I tried this and it gave me the option to go to odin mode or just to turn it back on. Please Help Me

ALAN JACKSON

Dec 13, 2016, 5:55:14 PM via Website

Hello, My TAB 2 10.1 will not enter recovery mode by holding the Vol up or down at power on.
It hangs on the SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 2 10.1 screen and hangs there forever.
When plugged into the charger it does nothing but show the gold charging indicator (not sure if this is normal).
It will only turn off if the power button is held and then connected to the power adapter, otherwise it just re-starts immediately.
All this happened after the battery went flat and it turned itself off, it was then re-charged to 100%
Any suggestions anyone?
I did see above that someone asked if it was possible to access a non-working TAB2 via a flash card - is it? Any suggestions gratefully received.

— modified on Dec 13, 2016, 6:42:37 PM

JafPaR Suut
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 18, 2017, 12:27:00 PM via Website

i had tried using both of hard reset list as above. But it's look i still cant used any and my tablet wont reset to factory mode. Help me..

Kyle barlow

Oct 7, 2017, 3:43:46 PM via Website

Hi I have a galaxy tab 2. I forgot my screen unlock pattern I've tried hard reset but when I do it comes on to select a language screen then says an unauthorised attempt has been made to reset device to default settings. Any ideas? Thanks

Alisawangly
  • Forum posts: 83

Dec 3, 2019, 5:04:00 AM via Website

But force reset will make Samsung table locked by FRP, YES? if Find My Device was enabled.