How to clear the system cache for the Samsung Galaxy S4

• Replies:27
  • Stickied
Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jun 30, 2014, 1:08:29 PM via Website

Hey AndroidPIT readers,

If you have problems with your Samsung Galaxy S4 and that the smartphone isn't working properly, a good solution to this is to wipe the system cache of the phone. You don't even need to do a hard reset. In fact, doing a system cache will NOT delete any of your personal info, but only the background and application cache. Cache is stored data on the phone which allows apps to load quicker, it's like the data is on standby until you need it again. Wiping it simply means that the app will have to reload the data.

Here's how it's done:

Turn off phone
Remove the battery and reinsert.
Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys
Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.
As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.
Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.
Press the Power button to select it.
Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.
Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.
Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.
Wait for your phone to reboot.

There you go! Your system cache should be wipe and leave you with a much more fluid smartphone.

Did this work for you?

Find out about how to factory reset your Samsung Galaxy S4
Find out how to hard reset your Samsung Galaxy S4

— modified on Jun 30, 2014, 4:00:32 PM

RongweyChristopher MontoyaBrandiLynnRobert SmithRene Harris

Mrs Foster
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 23, 2014, 3:58:48 PM via Website

I have tried this on my galaxy mega 6.3 but after trying to wipe partition cache it displays error!

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Oct 23, 2014, 6:32:30 PM via Website

Mrs Foster

I have tried this on my galaxy mega 6.3 but after trying to wipe partition cache it displays error!

can you post the error message ..

Ready To Help You.

Mary Sparks

Nov 24, 2014, 9:28:55 PM via Website

I am getting the same error message...after selecting wipe cache partition after a few seconds it seems like it is worrking, then the little android guy shows up, laying on his back with a caution symbol over his stomach, and Error! written above. That all it says, then it boots like normal.

I am having problems with unstable internet as well, usually after it automatically connects to my works wifi. I turn it off, then my mobile date is weak and goes in an out. I have done all the suggested tips about clearing the wifi log, taking the battery out and rebooting, putting it in safe mode and uninstalling almost all my apps, etc, etc. Still can't figure it out. I definitely want to avoid a factory reset if possible.

Paul Hammond

Jan 29, 2015, 9:42:24 AM via Website

I would have thought that doing this by the inbuilt cache clearer would be easier: Go to Settings>More>Storage and scroll down and tap on Cached Data. Click OK on the pop-up confirming to clear ALL cached data and the all the phone's data is removed.

One caveat: the Samsung dependent cache is protected and will not allow it to be cleared, but this was only 12kb on my phone.

Tony S.

Feb 27, 2015, 5:24:24 PM via Website

Clearing the cache as Scott mentioned above does not clear the same cache as performing it through Settings. For example, my S4 had about 370MB of cache as reported in Settings before and 362MB after clearing the cache as Scott mentions. It does not clear all of the cached data your apps have. Much less drastic cache clearing, it is only temporary data cached by the OS. As Scott mentioned, NO personal data is cleared.

abdulmalikseidu
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 3, 2015, 8:11:04 AM via Website

Am having galaxy s4 active and sometimes when i get a call or make a call i cant hear the person and the person too cant hear me, what could be the coarse of this problem please

Joey Shull

Apr 12, 2015, 4:58:52 PM via Website

abdulmalikseidu

Am having galaxy s4 active and sometimes when i get a call or make a call i cant hear the person and the person too cant hear me, what could be the coarse of this problem please

It is probably caused by OK Google being available from all screens. Change the settings to make it available only from the Google screen.

Kristian Sordo

Apr 21, 2015, 3:40:13 AM via Website

Scott Adam Gordon

Hey AndroidPIT readers,

If you have problems with your [Samsung Galaxy S4][1] and that the smartphone isn't working properly, a good solution to this is to wipe the system cache of the phone. You don't even need to do a hard reset. In fact, doing a system cache will NOT delete any of your personal info, but only the background and application cache. Cache is stored data on the phone which allows apps to load quicker, it's like the data is on standby until you need it again. Wiping it simply means that the app will have to reload the data.

Here's how it's done:

Turn off phone
Remove the battery and reinsert.
Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys
Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.
As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.
Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.
Press the Power button to select it.
Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.
Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.
Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.
Wait for your phone to reboot.

There you go! Your system cache should be wipe and leave you with a much more fluid smartphone.

Did this work for you?

Find out about [how to factory reset your Samsung Galaxy S4][2]
Find out [how to hard reset your Samsung Galaxy S4][3]

I wkll be sellig my phone within the next few days. If I do a hard reset, will the cache data be gone, or do you recommend I follow the instructions below after resetting the device?

[1]: https://www.nextpit.com/device/samsung-galaxy-s4
[2]: https://www.nextpit.com/forum/565117/how-to-factory-reset-your-samsung-galaxy-s4-easy-way
[3]: https://www.nextpit.com/forum/557070/samsung-galaxy-s4-samsung-galaxy-s4-hard-reset

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 21, 2015, 7:08:47 PM via Website

Well @Kristian Sordo hard restting you device is going to completely going to wipe everything out of your device, so you don't need to do anything more if you are planning to sell your device out !! :)

Xochitl Shatt
  • Forum posts: 7

May 5, 2015, 7:24:19 AM via Website

Can i apply it S6 phone...? please tell me.

Amber powell

Aug 26, 2015, 10:01:59 PM via Website

Thankyou so very much. I had a new update on my phone which changed how I was able to delete cache. Ever since I've had problems with my phone, videos on FB not playing properly, screen freezing up, etc... I did what you said and wa la it worked. Now I can enjoy using my phone again!

Junaid Q.
  • Forum posts: 76

Aug 27, 2015, 8:26:47 AM via App

Scott can u tell me what is delvik cache?
Does wipeing dalvik cache make any difference?

— modified on Aug 27, 2015, 8:28:16 AM

Andy Perrett
  • Forum posts: 13

Oct 27, 2015, 4:19:20 PM via Website

Hi Scott,
You mention the "Samsung Galaxy S4" but does
this also work for a "Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini"
Andy

Christopher Montoya

Dec 1, 2015, 9:56:09 PM via Website

Thanks it worked.

Rnimama
  • Forum posts: 12

Dec 7, 2016, 2:06:58 AM via Website

If you want to clean up the junk files , you need to completely delete them on the phone , the simple deletion can not delete data you unwanted on the phone premanently ,once you erase data on the phone no one can recovered them from phoen ,

Hejfdert
  • Forum posts: 11

Dec 14, 2016, 4:21:24 AM via Website

If you really want to delete the phone data , i think you can try using android data erase tool to clean up android data thorough,you can wipe out the messages ,photos,contacts,videos,ect on the android phone ,

— modified on Jan 1, 2017, 8:30:44 AM

SamiJulie
  • Forum posts: 21

Jan 17, 2017, 8:14:02 AM via Website

To protect your phone data, you should wipe all these data before selling your phone into the second-hand market. How? Click here to get the instructions to wipe these phone data and cache easily.

Teresa Burkett

Jan 25, 2017, 12:59:48 PM via Website

I have the S4. I've tried clear the cache partition so many times my fingers hurt. Phone either turns on or I see the yellow android man just standing there saying upload mode. Small writing saying

Forced Key Upload

LINE: 0
Format :
Qxdm_msg :

Power_on_reason : KEYPAD.........
debug level : LOW

Wait...Done!

theres no cache to select, or anything else at all

enis cusus
  • Forum posts: 12

Feb 22, 2017, 4:19:12 AM via Website

To protect your phone data, you should wipe all these data before
selling your phone into the second-hand market. How? Click here to get
the instructions to wipe Android phone data and cache easily.

can I use it to erase my messages, photos on my LG phone?

William Avant

Feb 24, 2017, 10:05:48 PM via Website

Thanks Scott. It worked for me;)

— modified on Feb 24, 2017, 10:06:08 PM

J.YO

Apr 19, 2017, 4:03:59 AM via Website

The effective way to clear the phone system is clean phone memory , what you need to do is delete and erase unwanted files from Samsung permanently

— modified on Apr 24, 2017, 4:09:13 AM

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 19

Apr 20, 2017, 3:44:21 PM via Website

Worked on my HTC phone too?

Mary Diggs

Apr 23, 2017, 9:40:10 PM via Website

I did this but when I scroll down to clear cache I get an error

Qumtter
  • Forum posts: 10

Apr 24, 2017, 4:24:46 AM via Website

As i know , more and more people like deleting Samsung data to clean the phone , but as we all know the deleted data can be restored from Samsung , this situation can not help us to clean Samsung , unless we can avoid the data be backed after deleted

Pmscaoller

Apr 26, 2017, 7:57:29 AM via Website

It looks very simple, but can you make sure the deleted data won't be recovered on phone ?

smalling123
  • Forum posts: 30

Mar 14, 2018, 9:20:35 AM via Website

Whether you need to clean up all junk files like system caches from Samsung devices, or you want to eraser data on Samsung permanently, you can run Samsung Eraser/Cleaner to do that, it is also support almost all Android phones and tablets.

— modified on Mar 19, 2018, 3:05:40 AM

bitchkirpich

Feb 29, 2020, 5:10:52 PM via Website

You nedd to download CleanMaster or come in settings - memory - clean memory cache