Google keeping total control of Android Wear, Auto and TV - is this a good thing?

• Replies:2
Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jun 30, 2014, 5:41:55 PM via Website

Google have announced they will have complete control over the interface of Android Wear, Auto and TV, meaning no third party manufacturer will have the option of creating their own version of the software (Like TouchWiz or Optimus UI). The principle benefit of this for consumers is that functionality will remain consistent across all devices no matter what brand, so updates should all come together at the same time. The downside is that you will be locked to the stock Android interface when you make the purchase (though user mods are sure to start appearing in time).

Do you think this is a good thing? Should Google keep control of all versions of Android, including those that appear on smartphones?

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jul 1, 2014, 7:03:39 AM via Website

To some extent I'll say its good as well as bad.

Good Because: Problem of the fragmentation in Android environment is way more annoying for us, we are not getting updates in timely manner our carrier just holds the update for long, I know for some of the people updates doesn't matter but for them the problem is they may have seen that some application is not supported by their device and sometime some apps crashes, this is also because of the ...(thinking)

Bad Because: I know we all know why its going to be bad as if Google puts a holding into it then you are locked with s tock interface, although your device will operate in more stable condition but sometimes stock bars is going to irritate you all a bit more. (yawn)

Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jul 1, 2014, 9:47:51 AM via Website

Yep I think as long as people can still modify the stock OS afterwards, then the good outweighs the bad in this instance.