How to increase RAM by swapping internal phone storage?

• Replies:16
HARDIK MODH
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 15, 2014, 1:08:50 PM via Website

Hi,

I have Micromax canvas music A88. Storage detail of my phone is:
RAM : 512 MB
ROM : 4GB NAND Flash Memory
Internal Memory : 503MB ( For apps installation), 1.93 GB (For user data)

I just want to transfer memory from 1.93 GB (For user data) to RAM and I think it will not affect to ROM as seperate memory is allocated for ROM.

So how to transfer memory from internal storage to RAM...??

Anitha M

Jul 15, 2014, 2:41:55 PM via Website

Is it really possible to do so?? I am not sure

HARDIK MODH

Jul 15, 2014, 2:46:54 PM via Website

If it is possible to swap from external memory(micro sd card) then it must possible to swap internal memory(phone user accessable storage)...as its just a chunk of memory...

sudipta kumar panda
  • Forum posts: 10

Jul 16, 2014, 11:35:24 AM via Website

HARDIK MODH

Hi,

I just want to transfer memory from 1.93 GB (For user data) to RAM and I think it will not affect to ROM as seperate memory is allocated for ROM.

DONT DO THIS IT WILL CREATE PROBLEM (danger)

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jul 16, 2014, 11:54:41 AM via Website

Well, I would like to have your attention over here :) i.e. to all the people who are discussing that is there any way to increase RAM by swapping internal memory :)

There is just no way to do that, try to understand the fact that RAM is working memory (i.e. it works at the real time, as soon as the device switched off all the data will vanished) and ROM is internal storage memory (Even if you switch device off it's going to be in there) ! and tell you what it can't be swapped(whew)

But again if you still have a craze to swap the data partition with the emulated SD-Card you would do it with the help of fstab, but I am not going to recommend it because its no safe. (danger)

Richard Purvis

Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jul 16, 2014, 12:10:10 PM via Website

John F.

Well, I would like to have your attention over here :) i.e. to all the people who are discussing that is there any way to increase RAM by swapping internal memory :)

There is just no way to do that

What John said (cool)

RAM (random access memory) and internal storage are completely separate entities. It would be like trying to make a cow into a steam train. Not possible.

— modified on Jul 16, 2014, 2:16:29 PM

Kelly T
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 16, 2014, 1:14:09 PM via Website

I too agree with Scott Adam Gordon

HARDIK MODH

Jul 17, 2014, 5:46:16 AM via Website

Thank you All for helping me..

I got your point.. it could brick my phone...

Its true that ROM is non-volatile memory and RAM is volatile memory... But If one can swap external micro sd card(which is also non-volatile memory) to RAM then personally, I believe that its possible to swap Internal phone storage (non-volatile + R/W)...
So what are your views on this?

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jul 17, 2014, 7:20:04 AM via Website

HARDIK MODH

Its true that ROM is non-volatile memory and RAM is volatile memory... But If one can swap external micro sd card(which is also non-volatile memory) to RAM then personally, I believe that its possible to swap Internal phone storage (non-volatile + R/W)...

Hey Hardik,

So I guess you have got my point but I guess you haven't read the whole post. Let me repeat this for you:

" But again if you still have a craze to swap the data partition with the emulated SD-Card you would do it with the help of fstab "

I would not recommend you moving forward with it because lack of proper knowledge over the fstab, can really get you onto trouble. (danger)

kent fong

Jul 21, 2014, 2:46:34 PM via Website

What you trying to do is smashing ip the phone hahaha...
My point is no point man

Rick2047
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 14, 2014, 11:05:15 AM via Website

Your responsibility :
https : //play.google.com/store/apps/details ? id=com.swapit.expander.de&hl=en
Forum is not lettng me put links: keywords: ROEHSOFT RAM Expander (SWAP)

Inderjeet Arora

Oct 31, 2014, 8:54:35 PM via Website

Yeah it is really possible and I've done the same with my A88 and I'm enjoying the Apps

Praison Xavier

Apr 24, 2015, 2:33:35 PM via Website

Inderjeet Arora

Yeah it is really possible and I've done the same with my A88 and I'm enjoying the Apps

Bro , pls help me out in this. Even m trying it out. Hope u will help me in this :)

Taseer Ahmed

Mar 31, 2016, 10:25:39 PM via Website

Many people are trying to do so and some are trying to speed up sd card by changing 128 cache to 2048 but trust me these things do not work at all your device will become leggy and a shit you will hate

— modified on Mar 31, 2016, 10:26:23 PM

kinot garibal

Jun 24, 2017, 6:32:40 PM via Website

actually its work if swapping and edited fstab will auto backup original fstab as fstab.bak.but only safe for who own full knowledge about it.
i recommand and much batter way is buy another phone that can solve your problem.rooting phone most for hacking any app or for android game.
device support OTG cable is also work as like rooted phone.

AC&MM
  • Forum posts: 1,155

Jun 24, 2017, 7:11:03 PM via Website

HARDIK MODH

Hi,

They are two kinds of different memories. You'd better to change your device.

AC&MM
Galaxy J7 Pro
Moto X Force
Galaxy Tab S3

AC&MM
  • Forum posts: 1,155

Jun 24, 2017, 7:15:36 PM via Website

HARDIK MODH

ROM and micro SD card are the same kind of memory: volatile and RAM memory is volatile. It's so simple.

AC&MM
Galaxy J7 Pro
Moto X Force
Galaxy Tab S3