Samsung Galaxy S4 — In-call Volume barely audible

• Replies:10
mastodude
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 28, 2014, 9:42:34 PM via Website

Hi there. My wife's S4 recently developed a problem where the volume is barely audible while on a call, even when completely maxed. All other sound profiles seem just fine. I thought at the very least I could fix it by Factory Resetting the phone, but it hasn't solved the problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jul 30, 2014, 11:25:22 AM via Website

mastodude

Hi there. My wife's S4 recently developed a problem where the volume is barely audible while on a call, even when completely maxed. All other sound profiles seem just fine. I thought at the very least I could fix it by Factory Resetting the phone, but it hasn't solved the problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Very annoying issue to have. I've been looking for solutions this morning.

One thing I found was to go to your settings, and then go to "volume", and lower and raise all of the sliders. Then, turn the volume up and down using the hardware buttons on the side of the device. Some people said this had a sort of "reset" affect on the volume.

Somebody else suggested pressing your volume key in the middle (between up and down) and then sliding it up.

Also, try removing the battery for five minutes.

Let me know if any of these fix it, I'll keep my eyes open for other possible solutions. :)

Jason R

Nov 2, 2014, 11:48:58 PM via Website

I've had this on my Galaxy S4 as well, and fixed it by resetting the settings via Accounts: Backup and Reset : Reset settings.

I'm hoping to find the in call volume reset trick but the reset settings is better than the factory reset.

Michael Beecham

Jun 3, 2015, 1:18:32 AM via Website

During a call, just above the end call button, there is a picture of a phone. That is the ad extra volume button.

Herman Booysen

Dec 3, 2015, 6:26:53 AM via Website

I upgraded my S4 to lollipop some time ago, and recently noticed that on handset audio I could barely hear the other party. Turning on the speaker helped ME, but then my microphone became inaudible to the other person. Starting in safe mode and clearing the cache only slightly improved things. Finally, in network setting, I first switched to WKCD mode, then GSM mode, and then back to mixed mode, and voila! call audio was back to its excellent self.

Anthony Varela

Dec 7, 2015, 3:59:57 PM via Website

Herman Booysen, I have the EXACT same problem. I can't hear anyone except on speaker then while on speakerphone they can't hear me. If I use whatsapp I can hear and they can hear me on speakerphone so it can't be a hardware issue.

I could not figure out how to enter wkcd mode and could not find anything else on the internet about it. ( I don't see the network mode )

If you could expand upon it further I would greatly appreciate it.

Gavin Price

Feb 22, 2016, 8:31:19 PM via Website

Above the end call button there is a picture of a phone press it during a call and it will display extra volume enabled or disabled make sure its enabled and then press volume button on side of phone and it should increase call volume hope it works for you it worked on wife s phone.

Bruce Madoche

Jun 1, 2016, 2:33:14 AM via Website

I had the same problem and I tried all the suggestions and nothing solved the problem. I went to the Samsung store and the guy took a small brush and cleaned the dust out of the receiver at the top of the phone and now it works perfect. Took 2 minutes and no charge.

chell

Jul 12, 2016, 3:39:46 AM via Website

I was having the same issue, I tried a bunch of stuff. nada a bit louder. so off to best buy I went the guy basically said my speaker was trashed. time for a new phone :( .I was not settling for that So when I got home i got out a small paint brush kind of firm one like you would paint acrylic paint with.
I kept carefully tapping the brush into the speaker vent and wa laaaaa it works, saved me 500 bucks for a new phone.

good luck

hazel smith

Leewatermelon
  • Forum posts: 12

Jul 12, 2016, 11:34:10 AM via Website

agree whit one floor

hazel smith

Sep 11, 2016, 3:46:02 AM via Website

My husband's phone had the same issue and after reading about the possible dirty speaker, I used a stiff brush also and now it works perfectly. Thanks so much for the tip!