NX505J Nubia Z7 MAX: root, CWM recovery and CM11 ROM tutorial

• Replies:190
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 8

Sep 17, 2014 6:10:19 AM via Website

I have a couple of quick questions before I try this CW11 ROM.
1-Has anyone tried to use the android encrypt phone feature with CM11 on the Nubia Z7 Max as I am not able to get the encrypted file system to work with the stock ROM?
2-What is the easiest way to get back to the stock rom?
With my Samsung rooted I was able to go back to factory ROM I downloaded. I see no factory ROM to download here.

I am running build NX505J_CNCommon_V9.29

• Forum posts: 70

Sep 19, 2014 3:53:47 PM via Website

GeorgiePorgie

I have a couple of quick questions before I try this CW11 ROM.
1-Has anyone tried to use the android encrypt phone feature with CM11 on the Nubia Z7 Max as I am not able to get the encrypted file system to work with the stock ROM?
2-What is the easiest way to get back to the stock rom?
With my Samsung rooted I was able to go back to factory ROM I downloaded. I see no factory ROM to download here.

I am running build NX505J_CNCommon_V9.29

Hello,
I have not tried to encrypt phone feature as I do not use it.
The easiest way to get back on the stock rom is to flash CWM recovery and make a backup on SD card.
If you're not familiar with CWM recovery backup features google for "nandroid backup".

Sep 21, 2014 6:00:16 AM via Website

OK so I test drove your Build for a week. I have some feedback.
Initial reaction is awesome.
I cannot get GSM data beyond 2G to work at all on Nubia Z7max.
I can only get GSM to work in SIM slot 2.
I got GSM and CDMA voice and text to work at the same time which I found amazing but the data was 2G.
Verizon sim works for voice and text.
There is some issue with encryption. After encrypting the phone you need to wait a long time before entering the password upon restart or it hangs. It hangs more often on decrypt on restart than full shut. The decryption screen is in Chinese.
With dual sims both installed and encryption the com.android process crashes upon drilling Mobile Networks.
I did not have any crashes except when messing with the dual SIMS.
Very stable with one CDMA SIM.
I was able to insert and read a 128GB MicroSD for 1 week.
I ran the phone Fully encrypted for 1 week with no issues except reboots upon Mobile Networks drilling using dual sims, mentioned above.
802.11 wireless extremely stable.
Battery drain was negligible compared to stock Nubia OS which had bad battery drain issues.
Please go to Walmart and buy GSM and CDMA sims (straight talk) and authorize them both and try to get them to work together. The people in India run them together. I hope there is not a firmware issue with the dual sim because there seems to be maybe this is the case.
Do you know how to update the firmware if/when it comes out?
Also let me know if what you want me to test, I have access to multiple types of sims.
Any chance you might want to work on getting Android L working on this thing?
How does one compile stock Android L with nothing else? I tried and it said no go not Nexus 5 phone.
Also I am willing to work toward the goal of getting an official Cyanogen Build for this device, let me know what I can do to help. If you have build I can submit to cyanogen and see if they will take it on as an experimental build.

Sep 22, 2014 9:31:20 AM via Website

Update. The dual wireless issues with dual sims has the following work around. Go into airplane mode. Reboot the phone.
Go into wireless and set the default mode for both radios. reboot the phone.

It runs clean once both radios are initializing with the correct SIM settings such as GSM vs. CDMA

If there is a mismatch you may experience a crash of com.android.process

• Forum posts: 11

Sep 22, 2014 9:24:54 PM via Website

Will this work on the Z7 Mini?

Sep 24, 2014 9:03:18 AM via Website

3G update using Nubia stock firmware.
I can get 3G on T-Mobile with 3.86Mbps download. I can get H and H+ on ATT but my signal is weak here for ATT and I only get 1.86Mbps.
I can get Verizon voice but no data at all but I plan to try a 3G SIM tomorrow my sim is locked on LTE.

Using Cyanogenmod I can only get 2G. There is something wrong with the build and how it accesses the radios. I see the stock ROM flashes the radio during the install script. It reports "writing radio image" This leads me to believe there may be future flexibility in this dual radio beyond what is documented. The cyanogenmod does not flash the radio but is unable to use it in the same manner as the stock rom.

In the stock ROM it tells me I can use only one band per card.
SIM1-LTE 3g/4g, sim2-GSM only
Sim 1 LTE SIM2 no LTE
I assume it can be flashed to support other combinations but right now it gets 3G but only with one radio. If I put in 2 radios set to GSM/WCDMA 3G it flakes out and reverts to 2G.
Using the stock rom if you set card one to CDMA/EVDO/GSM/WCDMA and put in a T-Mobile or ATT SIM it gets H+,H,3G and it automatically eliminates the card 2 upon reboot if the slot is empty. Cyanoget does not ever disable the unused sim slot.

It appears the Cyanogenmod is having issues with this new complex dual radio configuration.

Tomorrow I plan to load in the Android L to see if it fixes this complex radio issue.

Sep 24, 2014 9:30:34 AM via Website

I got the 3G to work with Cyanogenmod using CDMA/EVDO/GSM/WCDMA and card one with t-mobile. However it does try to do H+. When it trys H+ it goes 0.1mbps. I get 5mbps when it is on 3G.
I will experiment more tomorrow now that I have found a solution that gets beyond 2G.

@Biggenz-
As far as I know the Nubia Z7 Mini and Max have the same radios. The difference is battery, screen.

Sep 24, 2014 9:30:52 AM via Website

@Biggenz-
As far as I know the Nubia Z7 Mini and Max have the same radios. The difference is battery, screen.

Sep 24, 2014 3:20:48 PM via Website

I figured it out that by installing 1.29 from nubia.cn, it updated the radio and fixed 2G only bug in firmware.
After installing 1.29 upon startup it found FOTA update 1.38.
I allowed the install but upon restart the update tried to flash the recovery.
I disallowed this.
I want to examine 1.38 to see if the manifest includes more updates to the radio.

Do you know how to capture an update and then download it to a PC to examine it.
I am also looking through the script of the 1.29 to see how it updates the radio.

• Forum posts: 1

Sep 25, 2014 5:25:44 PM via Website

Hi everyone.. Nubia has released their latest firmware on their website with supposedly major updates.. v 1.41

Has anyone tried to root this rom succesfully?

I have ordered the phone from aliexpress and it will come with the international rooted rom but I read that you cannot update this rom? when will nubia update their international rom?

do you recommend resetting the phone and installing the new firmware from their website? if it cannot be rooted with the utility then i cannot install gapps right?

please advise

thank you in advance.

Sep 29, 2014 4:07:24 AM via Website

So I have figured a few things out.
When you get your Nubia Z7 Max/Mini from the supplier you will need to flash the bios to correct some radio bugs.
When I first got my Nubia Z7Max It would not get 3G or 4G, only 2G.
Upon installing 1.29 the firmware update declared "updating radios" during the installation.
This fixed the 3G and 4G issue.
I noticed when I installed Nubia version 1.38 which came out today it said
"installing new radio image"
This update seemed to re-enforce the previous radio fixes. I am still able to get 3G 4G and phone works great with CyanogenMod.
This update seems to have perfected the radio and may have adjusted the power delegated to the radios.

I really love this phone. I want to get a Monthly updated Cyanogen mod ready to be downloaded at CyanogenMod

• Forum posts: 1

Sep 29, 2014 9:27:46 AM via Website

Hi All,
find a bug: sim 2 don't ring the phone.... it's a bit annoying ... Where I'll find an eventually updated ROM?

• Forum posts: 4

Oct 4, 2014 10:05:36 AM via Website

Hi Senapus Petit,
I have understood the root instructions, but I am very confused on the other methods and what they are used for... could you please help me? Inbox me.
(I am first time android user and really much a novice)

Thanks

Oct 7, 2014 3:47:15 PM via Website

I'm sorry everyone, my computer had an hardware failure and I couldn't update the thread.
There is a new release of the ROM and I'm uploading it soon.
It uses a new kernel and many issues have been fixed.

@GeorgiePorgie
Unfortunately the main developers for this ROM are Chinese so communicating is almost impossible, most of the times they Google translate and fail to understand our questions
I would suggest you to try porting another ROM, like Carbon or Paranoid Android and work with your own team instead.

• Forum posts: 4

Oct 9, 2014 9:40:08 AM via Website

Senapus Petit

I'm sorry everyone, my computer had an hardware failure and I couldn't update the thread.
There is a new release of the ROM and I'm uploading it soon.
It uses a new kernel and many issues have been fixed.

@GeorgiePorgie
Unfortunately the main developers for this ROM are Chinese so communicating is almost impossible, most of the times they Google translate and fail to understand our questions
I would suggest you to try porting another ROM, like Carbon or Paranoid Android and work with your own team instead.

Thanx for the guide for flashing this CM11 rom....everything is sweet and smooth except the bug of loosing the record(indication) of incoming calls from whether SIM 1/2 which is inconvenience........wonder if the new update has this fixed?

Looking forward for the new update......cheers:)

Oct 11, 2014 7:58:35 AM via Website

I am now uploading this third edition of the ROM.
The new ROM has many bug fixes and uses a new kernel.
Infrared works and the ROM comes with stock Nubia infrared app.

Oct 11, 2014 3:47:58 PM via Website

I can hardly wait...
Phil

Oct 11, 2014 4:39:36 PM via Website

Phil Moi

I can hardly wait...
Phil

Check the download link!

Oct 11, 2014 4:39:42 PM via Website

Reserved.

— modified on Oct 11, 2014 4:40:13 PM

Oct 12, 2014 12:15:12 PM via Website

Updated !!!
It's all right

Just one question,
How can I recover datas (SMS, Apps....) I backed up before updating?