NX505J Nubia Z7 MAX: root, CWM recovery and CM11 ROM tutorial

• Replies:191
Cie Jen Wong
  • Forum posts: 4

Oct 15, 2014, 11:49:42 AM via Website

Hi, I just got my phone. Rooted it already, but is unable to enter CWM. When I try to run flashcwm, it keeps on showing waiting for your device to be properly connected. I had already repeatedly installed the drivers and restarted the computer. Please help.

Antitalentum
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 15, 2014, 12:10:30 PM via Website

Hi!

Thanks for the guide, I'll try it later. Currently I'm on international stock rom v1.29, it's not bad, but not fully translated.

Senapus Petit

I am now uploading this third edition of the ROM.
The new ROM has many bug fixes and uses a new kernel.
Infrared works and the ROM comes with stock Nubia infrared app.

Is everything working well now in third edition?

[[cite gneoh]]
Thanx for the guide for flashing this CM11 rom....everything is sweet and smooth except the bug of loosing the record(indication) of incoming calls from whether SIM 1/2 which is inconvenience........wonder if the new update has this fixed?

Is this problem fixed in third edition?
Is "breath light" working in CM11? I mean, does it show missed calls or messages?

Senapus Petit
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 15, 2014, 6:21:43 PM via Website

Antitalentum

Hi!

Thanks for the guide, I'll try it later. Currently I'm on international stock rom v1.29, it's not bad, but not fully translated.

Senapus Petit

Yes it seems everything is working well.

There are few minor bugs in cyanogenmod lockscreen features: can't set bold hours/minutes/date
The notification led does not pulse, just turns on. It works but not like the stock ROM.

So far ZTE has not released the official kernel to developers (and they refused to release it) so an unofficial kernel is being built, with the next releases the pulse light notification might be reworked. But it also might not be since it works as it is.

Antitalentum

gneoh

Thanx for the guide for flashing this CM11 rom....everything is sweet and smooth except the bug of loosing the record(indication) of incoming calls from whether SIM 1/2 which is inconvenience........wonder if the new update has this fixed?

I could not replicate this problem on my device.

Antitalentum

Is "breath light" working in CM11? I mean, does it show missed calls or messages?

It shows the notifications but the light does not pulse on and off, it just lights up when there is a notification. This feature is being worked on by the guys who are coding the kernel.

— modified on Oct 15, 2014, 6:37:12 PM

Senapus Petit

Oct 15, 2014, 6:24:18 PM via Website

Cie Jen Wong

Hi, I just got my phone. Rooted it already, but is unable to enter CWM. When I try to run flashcwm, it keeps on showing waiting for your device to be properly connected. I had already repeatedly installed the drivers and restarted the computer. Please help.

Try until you get a root access request by supersu on your phone. Then give it root access and it'll flash CWM.
Some phones come with "broken", badly flashed software and have this kind of behavior. Do not worry, trying until it finally works will not brick the device.

Senapus Petit

Oct 15, 2014, 6:24:24 PM via Website

Biggenz

I've updated to v1.41 and I must say I love the stock rom and won't be trying CM11. Not soon anyway. I don't really understand how people can say the stock rom is shit. I think it's one of the best UI's I've seen so far.

Everything on it works perfectly.

This is off-topic.

Biggenz

There is one thing that I do need help with, if anyone here knows. With the launcher on stock rom 1.29, the home screen used to rotate, but with the latest update, 1.41, this feature has been removed. No more rotating home screen!!

How easy is it to replace the launcher with the old version? I've downloaded the old rom and can take the launcher from that.

I've read you can push it via adb, but I since I'm new to Android, I don't have a clue how to do that.

Didn't you just say you love stock 1.41 ROM?

I'm sorry, I can not help you with that.
Your request is off-topic, this thread is about root, cwm recovery and cyanogenmod.
But even so, I do not have experience with the stock ROM.

AFAIK replacing the launcher of one version with the launcher of another is not possible. Download a third party launcher.

— modified on Oct 15, 2014, 6:30:59 PM

Barikad

Oct 19, 2014, 10:05:24 AM via Website

Status 7 Error with CWM when flashing III Edition zip.
Trying to download again and same issue...

Senapus Petit

Oct 19, 2014, 11:39:05 AM via Website

Barikad

Status 7 Error means you're trying to flash a ROM for a specific phone to another non compatible phone.
Are you sure you're trying to flash a NX505J?

This error may also appear if you're trying to flash a ROM with an outdated recovery.
Please make sure you're using the CWM recovery I provide in the download link.

Barikad

Oct 19, 2014, 3:40:43 PM via Website

Senapus Petit

Barikad

Status 7 Error means you're trying to flash a ROM for a specific phone to another non compatible phone.
Are you sure you're trying to flash a NX505J?

This error may also appear if you're trying to flash a ROM with an outdated recovery.
Please make sure you're using the CWM recovery I provide in the download link.

Good devices but another versions of CWM.
Will try...
Thanks

dazza888
  • Forum posts: 3

Oct 19, 2014, 11:11:57 PM via Website

Does towel root work on the new update?

Valence Little

Oct 19, 2014, 11:32:26 PM via Website

Hi,
I really need help with the whole rooting --> CWM--> flash ROMS--> google store.
Please contact me via inbox!!!?

Thanks in advance, Valence

Senapus Petit

Oct 20, 2014, 12:16:01 AM via Website

Valence Little

Hi,
I really need help with the whole rooting --> CWM--> flash ROMS--> google store.
Please contact me via inbox!!!?

Thanks in advance, Valence

Ask right here,
Read the first post, it explains everything you should need to know.

Phil Moi
  • Forum posts: 8

Oct 20, 2014, 12:23:13 PM via Website

Hi everyone

Yesterday, as I wanted to use WAZE app to go home with navigation, CM and my Z7 rebooted 3 times.
Then I stopped using navigation, Waze works perfectly..
Any one had the same problem?

Phil

Barikad

Oct 20, 2014, 12:27:04 PM via Website

Flashing with dd in a root shell recovery.img, tried to flash the zip, but same error. (Satus7)
My CWM is 6.0.5.0 build
Any help is welcome ;-)

— modified on Oct 20, 2014, 12:34:09 PM

gneoh

Oct 20, 2014, 1:37:37 PM via Website

Senapus Petit

Antitalentum

Hi!

Senapus Petit

There are few minor bugs in cyanogenmod lockscreen features: can't set bold hours/minutes/date
The notification led does not pulse, just turns on. It works but not like the stock ROM.

So far ZTE has not released the official kernel to developers (and they refused to release it) so an unofficial kernel is being built, with the next releases the pulse light notification might be reworked. But it also might not be since it works as it is.

Antitalentum

gneoh

Antitalentum

It shows the notifications but the light does not pulse on and off, it just lights up when there is a notification. This feature is being worked on by the guys who are coding the kernel.

Did the update to Edition III yesterday........Sim 2 does not ring, downloaded dual sim ring tone and rebooted few times and everything is sweet and smooth again. Thanx for the update SP
p/s : dual sim identification in call history works fine now

Nathan
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 20, 2014, 3:03:27 PM via Website

Hiya,

I'm considering picking up the Mini, but ZTEs notorious dodging of GPL compliance makes me cautious ;) Did they actually refuse to provide source that will build? It's encouraging to see some work being done on it, though. Are the unofficial devs posting their source anywhere? I'm aware that some in the chinese dev community are no more willing to comply with the licensing requirements than the device manufacturers are.

Lack of full international LTE band support aside, this looks like very good phone for the price. If any of you are in the UK, could you tell me whether HSDPA+ is working reliable with 2 SIMs in? I'd like to use a Giffgaff SIM running on GPRS (for free Giffgaff to Giffgaff calls) and a Three SIM on HSDPA for everything else... ;)

I was considering grabbing a second hand Nexus 5, but I'd really like dual SIM and removable SD support. The camera on the z7 appears to be excellent and ZTE have been bigging up the DAC, so I hope that z7 has good output to headphones too. All in all, I'm very tempted.

Senapus Petit

Oct 20, 2014, 7:50:26 PM via Website

Nathan

Hiya,

I'm considering picking up the Mini, but ZTEs notorious dodging of GPL compliance makes me cautious ;) Did they actually refuse to provide source that will build? It's encouraging to see some work being done on it, though. Are the unofficial devs posting their source anywhere? I'm aware that some in the chinese dev community are no more willing to comply with the licensing requirements than the device manufacturers are.

Lack of full international LTE band support aside, this looks like very good phone for the price. If any of you are in the UK, could you tell me whether HSDPA+ is working reliable with 2 SIMs in? I'd like to use a Giffgaff SIM running on GPRS (for free Giffgaff to Giffgaff calls) and a Three SIM on HSDPA for everything else... ;)

I was considering grabbing a second hand Nexus 5, but I'd really like dual SIM and removable SD support. The camera on the z7 appears to be excellent and ZTE have been bigging up the DAC, so I hope that z7 has good output to headphones too. All in all, I'm very tempted.

ZTE has not released any official Kernel for the Z7 series and they refuse to release anything when asked. They reply with a pre-written mail.
There are active devs on github though.

— modified on Oct 20, 2014, 7:52:49 PM

Senapus Petit

Oct 20, 2014, 7:54:47 PM via Website

Barikad

Flashing with dd in a root shell recovery.img, tried to flash the zip, but same error. (Satus7)
My CWM is 6.0.5.0 build
Any help is welcome ;-)

I'm sorry to hear that, but no one so far has had any problem like the one you're experiencing.
I suspect you're doing something wrong, please double-check every step and try again.
The uploaded files are correct, I have checked them for you.

Senapus Petit

Oct 20, 2014, 7:55:32 PM via Website

I have installed WAZE and tried to replicate the issue but I did not experience any restart or crash.
I guess some other app is conflicting.

Senapus Petit

Oct 20, 2014, 7:59:40 PM via Website

gneoh

Senapus Petit

Antitalentum

Hi!

Senapus Petit

Antitalentum

gneoh

Antitalentum

Did the update to Edition III yesterday........Sim 2 does not ring, downloaded dual sim ring tone and rebooted few times and everything is sweet and smooth again. Thanx for the update SP
p/s : dual sim identification in call history works fine now

I do not have this issue, have you tried to restart your phone?

gneoh

Oct 20, 2014, 8:17:37 PM via Website

Everything is fine so far.....Edition III smooth as butter.....Waze nav works too with no crash.....v. happy had it updated:)

Nathan

Oct 20, 2014, 9:19:20 PM via Website

There are some official kernel dumps for the Z7 series. The last one was posted about 12 days ago iirc, but no doubt they are incomplete. Just had a quick look on github - looks encouraging, especially if they actually plan to submit the tree to the cm team. Looking forward to seeing a complete kernel source tree out there.

Really tempted to just take chance on this one!

Biggenz
  • Forum posts: 11

Oct 22, 2014, 10:28:16 AM via Website

What are the advantages of using CM11 rather than the stock rom?

Senapus Petit

Oct 24, 2014, 12:40:54 AM via Website

Biggenz

What are the advantages of using CM11 rather than the stock rom?

You'd get all the advantages of CM11.
Google to find out more about CyanogenMod

Seb P

Oct 24, 2014, 8:40:22 AM via Website

Hello
I've upgraded my phone with CM11 following the steps on 1st page.
I've installed the rom from here : pan.baidu.com/s/1sj9EERz
I think it's a new build
Only problem : no images are shown in the gallery app. I see the folders but no picture into them.
Anyone else get this issue ?
thank you

Senapus Petit

Oct 24, 2014, 12:35:53 PM via Website

Seb P

Hello
I've upgraded my phone with CM11 following the steps on 1st page.
I've installed the rom from here : pan.baidu.com/s/1sj9EERz
I think it's a new build
Only problem : no images are shown in the gallery app. I see the folders but no picture into them.
Anyone else get this issue ?
thank you

That is not CM11, it's Mokee OS, it's another custom ROM developed by other people.
I can't help you with that sorry, I do not use that ROM because it has many bugs CM11 does not have.

David Podhorský

Oct 24, 2014, 7:55:30 PM via Website

Dear Senapus,
I am very tempted to buy Z7Max from Etotalk.com with their Rom. It is supposed to be rooted. Since I am newbie for rooting/mod roms etc... (never have tried) I am not sure with updates. I guess I will have to make some update by myself. I mean any of changes to android L or CM11. If am right in all of this, than I am really happy to find this actual forum :-) I hope to buy my Z7Max within month and I will stay tunned :-)
Dawe

Cicada

Oct 25, 2014, 7:55:32 AM via Website

Hi Georgie,

I have completely the same case with you.
With Nubia Z7 Max, cwm_6.0.5.0, CM11 (IV edition).
I am struggling to encrypt it or not.
In my temporary research, CM11 ROM is using Cyanogenmod system.
The latter is rely on something like Clockworkmod or CWM recovery loader. (Compulsory??).
Clockworkmod & CWM hasn't supported encrypted device (i.e. Let me input password for decryption before it really flash .zip into OR clean the device).
i.e. After encryption, I won't be able to upgrade OR rescue the system using the CWM recovery loader.

Could you help do a simple test by flashing any .apk into device through CWM recovery mode? If the App can be successfully installed, it will prove that above problem don't exist. If failure, we need to further investigate the possibility of changing CWM recovery loader to another one.

— modified on Oct 25, 2014, 7:57:56 AM

Senapus Petit

Oct 25, 2014, 9:24:56 AM via Website

Cicada

Hi Georgie,

I have completely the same case with you.
With Nubia Z7 Max, cwm_6.0.5.0, CM11 (IV edition).
I am struggling to encrypt it or not.
In my temporary research, CM11 ROM is using Cyanogenmod system.
The latter is rely on something like Clockworkmod or CWM recovery loader. (Compulsory??).
Clockworkmod & CWM hasn't supported encrypted device (i.e. Let me input password for decryption before it really flash .zip into OR clean the device).
i.e. After encryption, I won't be able to upgrade OR rescue the system using the CWM recovery loader.

Could you help do a simple test by flashing any .apk into device through CWM recovery mode? If the App can be successfully installed, it will prove that above problem don't exist. If failure, we need to further investigate the possibility of changing CWM recovery loader to another one.

As I said up here, there is no CM11 IV edition yet.
What you're flashing is Mokee OS IV edition. It's a different ROM.

Seb P

Oct 25, 2014, 10:31:47 AM via Website

Senapus Petit

That is not CM11, it's Mokee OS, it's another custom ROM developed by other people.
I can't help you with that sorry, I do not use that ROM because it has many bugs CM11 does not have.

Thank you for telling me that :) That's why I had so many problems with dual sim. Now I'm going to install the right one !

dazza888

Oct 28, 2014, 12:27:03 AM via Website

Hi. I'm running Edition III. Looks great! Any chance of adding apps into the little menu when you hold down an empty spot on the home screen? Thank you very much for all your work :-)

dazza888

Oct 28, 2014, 8:36:52 AM via Website

Also only one sim will play a ringtone. The other sim will ring but is silent. Any fix available? Thank you

gneoh

Oct 28, 2014, 9:42:51 AM via Website

Had the same problem when coming from edition II to III. I downloaded and apply dual SIM ring tone app and rebooted a few times and it works 100% now;)
P/s....set the 2nd SIM to vibrate and ring

Giovanni Sannino

Oct 28, 2014, 1:03:33 PM via Website

Sorry for my English. Enter the phone icon, the 3 dots in the lower right setting, multi sim setting, SIM 1 or SIM 2, phone ringtone and so does the second ring. Ciao

Herbert Camenzind

Kis Maike Carvalho

Oct 28, 2014, 2:39:59 PM via Website

Hello. I got my Z7 max yesterday and would like to change cm11, however the rom that came installed (NX505J_CNCommon_V9.38) do not allow me root access. To make the installation as first post I really need to have root access? I wonder what I should do, is there any other way? Thanks in advance.

Jean-Pierre DROUARD

Oct 29, 2014, 2:05:16 PM via Website

Kis Maike Carvalho

Hello. I got my Z7 max yesterday and would like to change cm11, however the rom that came installed (NX505J_CNCommon_V9.38) do not allow me root access. To make the installation as first post I really need to have root access? I wonder what I should do, is there any other way? Thanks in advance.

Hello, I had the same problem.
To root , I decided to install official 1.41 version from nubia site (nubia.cn) (use Google to translate).
1 - Download "update.zip file" (about 700 Mo) and verify MD5
2 - Copy verified "update.zip" to your phone SD (need first to install ZTE driver )
3 - Make Backups ... Contacts, SMS , etc ..
4 - update from 1.38 ( menu parameters, "more " "update", "update from SD" if I remember well)
5 - after Reboot you will have 1.41 installed (only Chinese or English language) . You could stay in 1.41 ,but for me google apps had problems ... and this version now could be rooted
6 - Now make installation as first post (make Backup when CWM recovery installed)

Kis Maike Carvalho

Kis Maike Carvalho

Oct 29, 2014, 2:17:18 PM via Website

Thank you. I will try to use this method, then post the result.

Kis Maike Carvalho

Oct 29, 2014, 4:24:21 PM via Website

Jean-Pierre DROUARD

Kis Maike Carvalho

Hello, I had the same problem.
To root , I decided to install official 1.41 version from nubia site (nubia.cn) (use Google to translate).
1 - Download "update.zip file" (about 700 Mo) and verify MD5
2 - Copy verified "update.zip" to your phone SD (need first to install ZTE driver )
3 - Make Backups ... Contacts, SMS , etc ..
4 - update from 1.38 ( menu parameters, "more " "update", "update from SD" if I remember well)
5 - after Reboot you will have 1.41 installed (only Chinese or English language) . You could stay in 1.41 ,but for me google apps had problems ... and this version now could be rooted
6 - Now make installation as first post (make Backup when CWM recovery installed)

Can you explain to me why I should check MD5 excuse is that I'm newbie with changing ROM. Thank you.

Jean-Pierre DROUARD

Oct 29, 2014, 4:39:00 PM via Website

Just in order to be sure that you downloaded "update.zip" file from Nubia site with no error .

Kis Maike Carvalho

Jean-Pierre DROUARD

Oct 29, 2014, 4:41:22 PM via Website

MD5: 9408C7D6C5CFBDD2FCB5F8A2DFE62C7E Password: phhl

Kis Maike Carvalho

Ja D.

Oct 29, 2014, 9:03:58 PM via Website

Hi everyone,
I use CM11 for a couple of days and really appreciate it. However, I have a bad issue: I can't move apps to my SD card. More precisely, if I reboot the phone, every application looks as not installed. Don't know what to do. Any clue?

Valence Little

Oct 29, 2014, 11:45:06 PM via Website

Hi mate,
Basically, I was wondering if you could do a Video of how you do the steps post rooting.
I have rooted the phone (i think). I have Super SU installed, but when I attempted the subsequent steps, I got very confused.

I am happy to do a skype call.... or you can do a video that would be amazing.
I am asking because I really do not want to make mistakes and damage this phone...

Please get back, really need to sort this phone out ASAP.

Thanks man. :)

Ja D.

Oct 30, 2014, 5:36:59 AM via Website

Hi Valence little,

Thanks for your answer.
Instead of making a movie, I hope the following screenshots will help.
1. The application is installed ("Caller locator" in this example

1. and 3. The application is moved from phone to sdcard (0? 1?) using the integrated application manager

1. The phone is rebooted

2. The application has to be installed once again

3. To be more precise, the last screenshot is the "About" sceen of my NX505J phone

Do I have to change a parameter so this won't happen again?

Thanks for help.

— modified on Oct 30, 2014, 10:40:55 AM

Kis Maike Carvalho

Oct 30, 2014, 12:34:13 PM via Website

Jean-Pierre DROUARD

MD5: 9408C7D6C5CFBDD2FCB5F8A2DFE62C7E Password: phhl

Thank you. Now I can enjoy the CM 11.

Valence Little

Oct 30, 2014, 7:51:55 PM via Website

Hi mate,
sorry about I have no clue.... I posted because I need help with the rooting, CMW, google apps etc!
In fact if you have successfully rooted yours, care to help?

CALLING ANYONE WHO HAS SUCCESSFULLY rooted, upgraded ROM and got google apps on their Z7 MAX, please HELP me!! I am happy to have a Skype call, screenshots of the steps etc. Thanks

Lazsosz Lazsosz

Nov 1, 2014, 8:30:26 PM via Website

Download this file: mega.co.nz/#!qpES0SII!h2BrLAc2k2-IMRayTRFU_F3V8iwJSt5f_OhhMjI1qlE

You need drivers on your computer.

Put your phone to fastboot mode. Switch off your mobile, wait until vibration. Push Vol down + Power, wait until vibration. Push to PC, run Nubia_Z7_Max_Multi\Tź¬¸Tó¬˙NX505J.bat

Wait until reboot! That is it!

Kis Maike Carvalho

Nov 2, 2014, 2:44:14 AM via Website

Lazsosz Lazsosz

Download this file: mega.co.nz/#!qpES0SII!h2BrLAc2k2-IMRayTRFU_F3V8iwJSt5f_OhhMjI1qlE

You need drivers on your computer.

Put your phone to fastboot mode. Switch off your mobile, wait until vibration. Push Vol down + Power, wait until vibration. Push to PC, run Nubia_Z7_Max_Multi\Tź¬¸Tó¬˙NX505J.bat

Wait until reboot! That is it!

I think now my phone is just a paper weight. I can not get into fastboot mode, also not connecting. I am unsure what to do.

Lazsosz Lazsosz

Nov 3, 2014, 7:50:56 AM via Website

Use google translate!

Read this tutorial for brick Nubia Z7 max.

bbs.nubia.cn/thread-314106-1-1.html

Kis Maike Carvalho

Grafiten Moliv

Nov 3, 2014, 8:02:25 AM via Website

Pls help.i have nubia z7 max international stoc rom.My sim 2 work but sim 1not..when I put the card detects but does not want to be connected to the network.I try to install many different sw but nothing...Thanks

cedric
  • Forum posts: 11

Nov 3, 2014, 5:29:54 PM via Website

Hi All,

I find a bug on Edition III, I think it's an issue with UMS process. When I plug my phone by using USB with UMS selected, I can see the SD card (F: / accessible) but not the external sd card (G: / not accessible).. when I disconnected the usb cable, the external SD can't mount automaticly I have to reboot the phone or remove the ext sdcard it plug it.

The second question is, is it possible to have the callbar verticaly by slide or button?

Thanks in advance for you help

Kis Maike Carvalho

Nov 3, 2014, 7:43:45 PM via Website

Lazsosz Lazsosz

Use google translate!

Read this tutorial for brick Nubia Z7 max.

bbs.nubia.cn/thread-314106-1-1.html

I'll try as soon as I get home. More'm already very happy, for giving me hope. thank you, friend.