Is the Galaxy Note Edge just a gimmick?

• Replies:4
Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Sep 16, 2014, 4:17:23 PM via Website

What are your thoughts on the Galaxy Note Edge?

I know many people are obsessed with the Galaxy Note series, and rightly so. I think they are amazing devices, the Note 4 might be one of the best handsets ever made.

But how do you feel back the Note Edge? Is the sloped edge just a gimmick? Or is this the kind of innovation that people want to see from Samsung?

David Kelly-Durrant

Russell Wilson
  • Forum posts: 50

Sep 16, 2014, 4:24:45 PM via App

I would probably say it's a gimmick, but so was the whole idea of the note series; and it grew to the best device I've seen and as far as hardware goes, the note 4 will literally be the best phone on the market. I guess what I'm trying to say is; every great idea starts off as a gimmick.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Sep 17, 2014, 10:35:21 AM via Website

Russell Wilson

I would probably say it's a gimmick, but so was the whole idea of the note series; and it grew to the best device I've seen and as far as hardware goes, the note 4 will literally be the best phone on the market. I guess what I'm trying to say is; every great idea starts off as a gimmick.

This is totally true.

Some gimmicks catch on. I think the Edge in its current format is kinda pointless: I was bored with it after half an hour at IFA.

But once third party devs start making applications for the side screen I think it might just explode.

I still want an edge screen on both sides though. And I wasn't the biggest fan of where the edge screen ''stops'' (where it meets the main screen) and where the curve in the display is. It seemed a little off center to me, so when I was swiping the edge screen I kept switching home screens. I've seen the same thing in heaps of hands-on videos too, so I know I'm not just clumsy!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

David Kelly-Durrant

Russell Wilson
  • Forum posts: 50

Sep 17, 2014, 6:32:37 PM via App

I personally like the idea of it, but unless they add a feature I will use every day before it releases, I'm just going to go with the note 4.

Pat
  • Forum posts: 8

Sep 17, 2014, 9:08:51 PM via Website

I am one of those in the obsessed with the Note camp. I believe your are either a person who carries a notebook in your pocket to make notes, or you're not and if you're not, you feel like you wasted your time and money. I am a note taker and use my Note 2 for doing that several times a day, so now I can't see myself using anything else. I didn't think the Note 3 was enough of an improvement and have been waiting for the Note 4 and now they've thrown the Edge into the mix. My first thought was that it's a useless gimmick, but I've thought that before and then found that what I thought was a gimmick turned out to be very useful, so I'm a little more open minded about gimmicky stuff now. I was going to hold off until I could play with one, so I'm glad to read your comments on the one you've seen. When I saw a picture of it I wondered if I would keep inadvertently starting an app with my fingers or palm that I didn't intend to open every time I pick it up or answer a call, but I haven't seen any comments on that. I can however see how it would be useful for letting you control things like the camera from the edge rather than taking up space on your main screen to do things like that.
Right now I would like to get my hands on an Edge before I commit.

— modified on Sep 17, 2014, 9:11:11 PM

David Kelly-Durrant